1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC FE501S-JD tuner or tps adjustment?

Discussion in '4st' started by Benduro, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Benduro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950sm, DR650, KLX400
    I get my '16 501s in about a week and for the last few weeks, I've been reading just about every word on the internet about what will need to be addressed on the bike.
    I'm not one of those guys that bolts $4000 worth of farkles to a bike before I even ride it, and prefer to only fix the things that I feel need fixing, but it seems to be a pretty universal observation that the bike is quite lean (=hot) with the factory mapping.
    Pretty much everyone (including my very knowledgeable dealer who has sold husky since before they made chainsaws, it seems) addresses the lean condition by increasing the TPS setting to somewhere in the neighborhood of .65ish after desmogging.
    My limited understanding is that this also advances the timing. So, kind of a band-aid in my mind. I've had detonation before when a bike gets real hot for one reason or another and I don't think this bike will likely be put into those situations by the likes of me, but still, I'd prefer to do things the right way.
    And since I doubt I'll be able to find anyone who will reflash my "s" model to Euro Unrestricted, it seems the way forward is a tuner so I can add fuel across the range specific to pipe/desmog/elevation/airbox and filter mods etc.

I've read little snippets here and there by the folks affiliated with some better known race teams saying the same thing.

Am I over thinking it? Is it just fine to simply let my dealer adjust the tps?
    What are your opinions, fine people of CH?
  2. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350
    go with the TPS adjust, buy the little plug yourself so you can adjust and test.

I have a JD tuner and IMHO it is over rated, wish I either bought a PC5 or the other yellow one (can't remember name) if at all.

get a trail tech map switch, it is better value for money than a tuner
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You should PM Tinken.
  4. Scott Howard Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350s, 701 enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    650 V-strom, Beta 300RR
    TPS adjustments are a quick and dirty way to richen it up, but the best way is to re-flash it. This way you know it's running the way it was designed.

Talk to your dealer first. My dealer re-flashes every Husky he sells, but I have heard that some won't.
    bikesparky likes this.
  5. Benduro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950sm, DR650, KLX400
    I'll see what he says, but I sincerely doubt a California dealer is gonna run the risk of getting sued.
    Worth trying though.
  6. bikesparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Superduke 1290
    Leave the TPS alone!It doesn't do a good job, all it does is offset the whole map (fuel and ignition) and it creates other issues.
    Either get a reflash to euro map or get a powercommander!
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  7. Benduro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950sm, DR650, KLX400
    I'm gonna do both!
  8. bikesparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Superduke 1290
    No need for a powercommander if you get the euro map. I had a PC on a lot of bikes but the FE501 with the euro map doesn't need one! This unless you can ride like Jarvis on the technical and RV on the fast sections!
    If your dealer is happy to flash the euro map for you, a better buy would be the Trailtech map switch.
  9. Benduro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950sm, DR650, KLX400
    Unfortunately, I ordered the tuner already, and no, my dealer can't flash it (but others can).
    I'll get it reflashed and I guess I'll then sell the unused tuner.
  10. SingleTrackMind Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501s,TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati SF848,Triumph Tiger 800
    Hello,i am a first time poster,but have been on the forums for awhile. You will not regret that PC one bit,especially if you do any other mods to the bike. I went down the same road as you with my 15.With a FMF full exhaust and PC,it's a completely different machine! After installing the PC I set my TPS back to .60 fyi. The TPS and euro reflash are probably nice with minor mods,but after that the bike just needs more.
  11. Benduro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950sm, DR650, KLX400
    Un.
    Be.
    Freaking.
    Lievable.

Today I put on the ti powercore and installed the JD tuner and went with the recommended "open pipe" settings, and holy freaking crap. It's like a different bike! Jeckyl and Hyde!
    Immediate throttle response, big gains in meaty, torquey power...
    bigjon and Kam1 like this.
  12. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350
    What JD settings are you guys using for the 501?
  13. Benduro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950sm, DR650, KLX400
    I used the open pipe settings on the sheet that came with it. There were two open pipe templates, however, so I wonder if one was for a bike running the euro map and one for stock ecu and they simply forgot to write that.

Green 5, Yellow 6, Red 4/5, Green/Blue 3/4, Yellow/Blue 5/6, Red/Blue 5/6

Although...I may bump that Red/Blue down a notch. That's the "accelerator pump" setting and although that immediate hit is awesome for lofting the front wheel, it also makes low speed tight riding "interesting".
    I'll play around with it some more today.
    Kam1 likes this.
  14. SingleTrackMind Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501s,TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati SF848,Triumph Tiger 800
    I'm running a powercommander IV with Zip-Ty map,not JD tuner. Sorry no help.
  15. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Here's where I am on my ktm500.

TPS @ .638
    Green 5/6
    yellow 4
    red 4
    Green/blue 4/5
    Yel/blue 4
    Red/blue 4

Stock motor, stock map, desmogged, uncorked OEM muffler.

Runs bitchen!
  16. Benduro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950sm, DR650, KLX400
    Thanks, PC. I'll try that and see if it feels better on the old butt dyno
  17. ssmschulz Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vstrom 650
    PC - When you say you Uncorked the OEM Muffler, what exactly did you do to it?
  18. Brad501 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR450
    He is probably referring to a billet end cap to replace the factory one, opens them up, lets them breath but still keeps them quite