Fastening torque of front sprocket screw is 40Nm + sealing

Discussion in 'TR650' started by peterjumpt, Apr 3, 2014.

1. peterjumpt Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 ABS
    ...as I (again:banghead:) intensively searched for the right torque spec for the screw of the front sprocket and this value is missing in the torque tables in the manual (there the 19Nm of the item "sprocket" mean the fastening torque of the bolt nuts of the rear sprocket!), here the correct value of the fastening torque: 40 Nm + sealing.
    cheers Ritzel_Torque_Terra.JPG
    duibhceK, PaulC, Moff69 and 1 other person like this.
  2. CatskillBill Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    all gone
    Congratulations on finding that, and thank you. I couldn't find it.
    Moff69 likes this.
  3. William42 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT1200Z
    Me either.

Thanks peter.
    Moff69 likes this.
  4. Midwest Mike Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Various and numerous.
    This forum has been a great source of information for me personally. Keep up the good work, guys!
    Moff69 likes this.
  5. BigJim Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley Nightster
    Had a pucker moment today... A while back I swapped out the front sprocket, dropped two teeth. Lately I've been riding I-5 running along at 65 @ 5000 rpm. Thought I'd put the stock sprocket back on and drop the RPMs a bit. Pulled the sprocket cover and found the bolt had backed out. That's all I needed... drop the sprocket and wrap that darn chain around while buzzing along at 65 in heavy traffic. That'll locker her up for sure. I'd have been a red smear after 47 cars thumped over me. 40 Nm... Hmmmmm, I put a little more ass on it than that. Some lock-tight too just to make sure. I'll hate myself when I go to swap out that sprocket again. But, man am I glad I decided to do a little wrenching tonight! Tomorrow's commute could have been a tad exciting! I guess I'll start pulling that cover every now and then and give the bolt a tweak. ;)
  6. Lomax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lots of them
    Thank you so very much. I am going to change the front sprocket this weekend and could not find that torque spec. :applause:

Is Blue Loctite recommended on the sprocket bolt?

Marc
  7. Slowflyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    Instead of Loctite I replaced the 8.8 spec bolt with a 10.9 spec which I had drilled, tightened to 40 Nm and then lock-wired (I think the US folk use the term safety wire) it in place. That sucker is neither going to shear on me (40 Nm is close to the yield strength of the OEM bolt) nor is it going to fall out.
  8. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Any photos of your lock/safety wiring?
    I am assuming you have a stock sprocket or an aftermarket one with holes similar to stock?

I have been thinking about a locking insert bolt as my 17T sprocket is solid without any holes.

[IMG]
  9. Slowflyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    I,m currently separated from my bike by a couple of hundred kilometers. Should be able to take some photos this weekend. The job was very easy. I bought a pair of lock wire pliers off eBay, a jig to drill the bolt head which was rubbish and in the end just drilled the bolt head with a hand drill. The sprocket was a Super lite 15 th that like the OEM had lots of holes. There was plenty of how to do it material on the web. The hardest bit was sourcing a SMALL length of lock wire.