1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Exhaust "pop" on deceleration

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by TXC&KTM, May 2, 2009.

1. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

what should I check first? second? Not new to bikes, but new at tuning my own...

thanks

adam
  2. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    ????

What bike, what year, hope you're talk'n about a Husky.
    Did this just start happening. Is the bike new to you or new???

????

:cheers:
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Well since your screen name has "TXC" in it, I'm guessing you have a TXC and it has a carb. Pop on decel is an indication of a lean pilot circuit - pilot jet and fuel screw. A less likely possibility is an exhaust leak.

There will probably always be some popping but you should be able to tune most of it out. Adjust the fuel screw for max rpms at idle (keep turning down the idle adjustment screw to keep the rpms down). You might find that the fuel screw needs to be a few turns out, if so you should put in a larger pilot jet.

Or there is a plugged pilot jet, or old fuel, and a few other possibilities.
  4. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

08 250 txc...sorry bout that! It has about 25 hrs on it. its new to me. I'm the second owner. the first owner did not ride it much. i haven't put a full tank through it yet, so it may be the gas. i'll check back

thanks
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Those are pretty simple to work on. To get a baseline you might want to open up the carb and see what jets are in it (including leak jet) and see where the AP screw is set at - and if there is an oring on the AP linkage.

If all that sounds foreign to you (it did to me once) I can post some links.

:cheers:
  6. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Just wondering if you live at a different altitude than the guy you bought it from. If there's a big difference in altitude and humidity between where you are and where the bike was, it is most definitely is going to need to be rejetted-that is, if it was jetted properly for his riding area.

Also, as coffee suggested, there may indeed be an exhuast leak. I chased this very problem for a few months before discovering that my exhaust had been tweaked in a mildly uncomfortable get-off right before I put it up for the winter. As it turned out-it was leaking pretty badly. On the head, there are 2 nipples that the headers slide up to. Then, it's held on by a spring only. If the header gets tweaked even a little, it can cause it to leak on one side like mine did. I straightened it a little as best I could and cleaned everyhthing and put it back on. What a difference it made. ALL my power was back. Bike runs so much more smoothly and the popping is almost non-existant. There will always be a little pop in a tuned 4-stroke, but is had gotten beyond rediculous. Now it's smooth as silk and runs noticably cleaner. Check out my thread "pop go da weasel caw da weasel go pop".

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2687
  7. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

thanks for the feedback ...the pop is not that noticeable, but if it could be performing better then that is to be preferred. i'll check back when i've explored.
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm not sure what other bikes you've had but some popping is normal. It should not sound like a machine gun and cause others to turn their heads though (I've seen that actually happen).