Exhaust modification

Discussion in 'TR650' started by danielcure, Mar 15, 2013.

1. danielcure Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500. CR250, CBR400, CBR600RR, VTR1
    Hi guys, for a non-technical person - I just love to ride! Would you suggest removing the spark arrestor and packing for the exhausts. What are the implications - if any? If you asked why would I do it, I would love the bike to sound a bit more beefy.

Also if someone is kind enough to explain the process on how I would remove these parts I would be very grateful!!

If its too much work and there is an aftermarket option please let me know. Happy riding!
  2. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    I am about to do the same with my less than 200 mi TR! The tweet is driving me CRAZY because it does it is LOUD any time I am decel'ing LOUD I just cannot take it much longer. I am to the point that I find myself not even power braking (down shifting). Today someone walking down the street, about 10 car lengths ahead of me, stopped and turned around to see what the noise was! :banghead:
  3. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    I don't have the 'tweet' issue but after have noticed that the exhaust note does get a bit 'beefier' as you put some miles on the bike. I have been told a couple of times by other riders that it's got a nice note. It's that type of bike, pull up at a parking lot or to get fuel and you attract attention from other riders who want to check it out.
  4. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    The tweet isn't due to the packing- it's created by the holes in the exhaust ends (used to yank them from the silencers). I cut mine off and the tweet is history. Also got rid of the screens/baffles inside of the pipes. It's mellow, not loud... And NO TWEET!
  5. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    It is from the spark greater insert. It does not fit against the circlip tight enough thus creating tweet +think whistle but with a pulse).
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    That matches my observation as well.

I almost did a modification on my 2006 TE250 cause it was also absurdly quiet, but did not, and now that bike sounds *really* nice. So at least for the time being I will take a wait and see attitude to see how the exhaust sound ages.
  7. danielcure Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    By doing this does it not affect the engine performance? Also if anyone can explain how to complete the process of completing this... I am not technical at all and would hate to end up with two baffles for the wall :)
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I'm not sure I would takeout/modify the screens. This is part of the spark arrestor and could have serious consequences.
    Last thing you want is to be riding down a dry forest service road and throw out a spark.

This is not my Bike !

9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Just to be clear -
    1. is that your TR650's exhaust?
    2. Or something you found on youtube that was already there...
  10. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Thx Coffee...I did edit first post.
    :cheers:
  11. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    I am already working on the spark arrester replacement.
  12. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Okay...got the right side out and it only took a second with a new method....

The spark arrest insert has two holes juuuuust on the inside of them where you would grab it with the pliers. Instead of pulling the insert and wiggling and cursing it out, I took two sew drivers and crossed them while inserting the tips of them into the holes. With the tips of the screw drivers in place I pressed back against the exhaust tip putting even pressure.
    Spark arrest removal.jpg

Suddenly it just popped right out

I didnt want to remove the packing and risk making the outside of the canister a lot hotter on long rides...so I went to Walmart and bought a set of these...and cut them down to this (both references are in the same pic)...
    Spark arrestors 1.jpg

After they were cut down to a slight press fit size I pushed them in the muffler tips stopping just pass the circlip groove. To keep them from ever backing out, I simply just reinstalled the circlips in the grooves like I removed them.
    Spark arrest complete1.jpg

Here they are all completed.
    Spark arrest all done.jpg

So I then started it up and a bunch of uber tiny fiberglass particles puffed out and then stopped. I reved it a bunch of times and nothing else came out.

I havent rode it yet but I can tell you it rev quicker. The volume is not really louder than before, but it is def deeper ! I will go for a brief ride in a few to see what the butt dyno has to say. Brb
  13. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Just got back from my brief ride and I can say that it seems to rev quicker. The tone is way more to my liking and THE TWEET IS TOTALLY GONE

Keep in mind that I am still pre-600 mile service so I cannot thrash the throttle open or rev above 5000 rpm yet. But for the safe/sane level I have been doing.....it did make a slightly noticeable difference.

If given the arrest removal technique I used in the end, I would think that anyone could complete this mod in about 30 to 45 minutes.

Items needed:
    Circlip pliers
    2 medium sized screwdriver (I happened to have a Phillips and a flathead at arms reach so thats what I used)
    2 sink drain screens (stainless mesh type)
    Wire cutters (medium size to cut screens to size)
  14. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Oh, before I forget.....the circlips are not stainless steel and mine were showing signs of rust. Even if you do not perform this mod, I strongly suggest you pull the circlips and coat them with a bit of high temperature grease and put them back in. This will help tp keep the from rusting further and possibly staining your nice clean muffler.
  15. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    image.jpg

2-stroke race can look. Also removes tweet.
  16. danielcure Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank-you for taking the time to explain the process Kjackbrown... I will give this a shot on the weekend and let you know how it goes.
  17. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Right on. When you pull the inserts out, just leave the fiber packing alone that way you dont have to worry about getting fiberglass all over the place. When you first start the bike....make sure you are outside or else you will be itching like crazy! A tiny amount of uber tiny fiberglass will puff out at first and then it will stop after a couple seconds. After that...ride and enjoy! :thumbsup:
  18. Luge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    sold them all
    Textbook lean.
  19. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    No such issues here. Runs a little smoother, and pulls a little harder. Packing was untouched so cans are no hotter and temp gauge reads the same as before......and it sounds sooooooooo nice!
    Luge likes this.
  20. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    I hate to ask a dumb question but - what is that clicking sound I hear during rev down?