Exciting Oil Leak

Discussion in '610/630' started by Daveradventures, May 28, 2017.

1. Daveradventures Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 sms630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Klx250sf, 71 cb350
    Hey guys,

Had a fun turn of events on the last ride; came around a corner and had the rear wheel go all squirrley on me. Pull over to see what's going on, and the rear tire was covered in oil!

I think I've traced it back to the valve cover vent having vibrated loose from the air box, but it looks like a lot of oil has come out. Is this a symptom of overfilling, or have I broken something else?

Thanks! IMG_20170527_161659.jpg IMG_20170527_161707.jpg
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Boy, that's a lot of oil loss! Had you recently changed the oil? It's easy to overfill these bikes, they have to stand vertical for a couple minutes before the sight glass rises to the true level.

3. Daveradventures Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 sms630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Klx250sf, 71 cb350
    Yeah, a day or two before the ride. If it was overfilled, would the excess oil come out through the valve train breather vent?
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Did you drop the bike at all-a right hand side put down will often be followed with an oil leak. Note oil leaks always look like a lot more oil has flowed out than what has actually happened. That said and supposing you did not lay it down I would not just assume an over filled oil situation.
  5. diter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    I overfilled my DRZ400 and it blew oil out of the crankcase breather and into the airbox, which drains back by the swingarm. It was MESSY! looked iike someone hosed the back half of my bike with oil.