Ews Issues

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Lawrence, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Lawrence Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    DRZ400SM>Stolen/TR650 Strata>EWS :(
    Hello, I have a 2013 Strata(12k miles) that shows EWS on the dash when trying to start.

This first happened when I overfilled the bike with gas and it overflowed the tank. The code popped up immediately. I have tried making my own replacement Ring antenna out of a Ebay HISS and a GS650 replacement, getting a new battery, and trying the direct grounding wire with the ECU.

I found a shop that had a GS911 tool and agreed to look at the bike. The GS911 showed the EWS code but didn't have any other info.

EWS will turn on immediately when the ring antenna is plugged in but will blink(sporadically)(and go solid after ~5 seconds) when the ring antenna is unplugged.

Has anyone had something similar? Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know somewhere near Los Angeles that would look at a TR650? All the KTM and BMW dealers I have called/visited have turned me away.
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Not that it helps your problem...but I doubt that overfilling the tank would cause an EWS fault.
    Unless the key was turned while the top end/ instrument cluster etc was drenched in gas and shortened out some component.
  3. Lawrence Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

I agree with you but the timing is odd to say the least. I'm guessing I shorted something.

I thought it was the ECU but the GS911 tool connected to the bike just fine. Just showed "false" for EWS.
  4. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Do you have any add-ons like a power commander or LED lighting, mods etc?
    spiderman and glitch_oz like this.
  5. Lawrence Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    No, completely stock. It had a booster plug at the time of the EWS but I have since disconnected that. The previous owner put a 5v USB under the headlight assembly. I disconnected that as well. I tried unplugging the headlight to see if that was an issue but nothing changed.

The EWS light blinks randomly(and then goes to solid) when disconnecting the ring antenna but is solid with both the original and replacement ring antenna I made, so I assume the ring antenna is good?

I ran a continuity test on the ecu to ground and it seemed fine. I installed a grounding wire anyways.

Would a bad voltage regulator cause EWS?
  6. Lawrence Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I followed the USB plug to find what it was connected to. After a lot of electrical tape, I found that the positive is connected to what I believe is two positive wires of the ignition circuit(this connector connects to the wires running from the ignition switch). And the negative runs all the way to the battery. Interestingly enough, I found the bike's previous owner posting about making this here("run-it"). I find it odd there are three wires soldered together but, judging by the date of the previous owner's post, it has been working like that for a while.

I disconnected the plug's negative wire from the battery but no change in the EWS code. Not sure if I should mess with the soldering on the ignition wires. [IMG]