Evap Can

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Wadejesu, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Wadejesu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
    I always throw these away when I find them, This one seems like an after thought mounted behind radiator, looks like it was blocking air flow.

Attached Files:

FabOneUp likes this.
  2. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I do the same on my BMW's, and looked at this one too, but not closely. How did you reroute/eliminate your lines? How difficult was it to remove? A little extra air flow is always nice and that thing does look to do some blocking.
  3. Wadejesu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I ran tank vent hose behind engine near swing arm mount, removed the rest, then installed small KN filter on head valve.
  4. Wadejesu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I forgot to mention, I cut part of can mount near bottom to get canister out, Becareful, radiator is close, Then you will see the 2 frame mounting bolts which also holds canister mount, 13mm lock nuts, 12mm bolt. Hope this helps. I also noticed open intake hose was pinched shut so the damn thing wasn't working anyway.
  5. William42 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT1200Z
    Could you provide pics? How about a part number for the K&N filter?
  6. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Those fasteners are really hidden! Last night I spent some time with my flashlight looking down, up, sideways, every which way, and couldn't see them. I trust they are there though.
  7. Wadejesu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'll try to get some pics, You need to remove canister from plastic holder first, then you will see the bolts, they can been sen from opposite side.
  8. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    Mind explaining what the function of this item is and why it's thrown out? I'm new to modern bikes, so I'm pretty minimal when it comes to these extra do-dads.
  9. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    The evap canistor is supposed to collect vapor from the top of the gas tank whether the engine is on or off and temporarily store them in the canister. On my buddies DRZ....if he filled his tank up too much...the canister would get raw fuel in it and clog. When that would happen...he couldn't start his bike for something like an hour or so. I have heard this happening on several other make/model bikes as well. I've always just removed them and freed up some space and weight. On my KLR I put a tool tube where the evap can used to be.
  10. Wadejesu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    kjack is correct, however on the TR650 there is a check valve to prevent that.
  11. Wadejesu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    More pics, KN filter 62-2470, You can see where I cut can mount to remove can first, you can then see mount bolts, nuts are 13mm, bolts on other side is 12mm, The nuts are locking type so becareful.

Attached Files:

nev.. likes this.
  12. Wadejesu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here is another I was over limit on last post.

Attached Files:

13. William42 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT1200Z
    Thanks for the the pics and part number Wadejesu.
  14. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE390, BMW F800GS
    Head valve? What is that for?

I stripped the clothes off my girl to do some electrical accessory work. While at it, thought I would do a canisterectomy. Traced out three primary lines from canister to: 1) tank vent at gas cap. 2) some strange plastic thingy on upper right frame what looks like it may have electrical connection....is this a check valve of some kind? 3) left side of throttle body....looks like it plugs into brass fitting on throttle body (not the head).

Tough to see clearly without removing the airbox collector (which appears complicated).....radiator is blocking one of the mounting bolts. Oh joy!

Why would the canister be connected to the throttle body (or the head...as you imply)? I don't recall that being the case on my F800 when removing it there. But, I could be mistaken. Anyway, what purpose would that serve. Also, could that open port simply be blocked with a vacuum plug? Why would it need to breathe atmosphere?

Scratching my head on this one? I'm not following why you put filters on the two lines shown. Seems you could eliminate these two lines entirely. But maybe I misunderstand their function. I do believe you should put a filter on your tank vent line for insurance.

HF
  15. Wadejesu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    There is a diagram on right fork leg
  16. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interesting.....I had not noticed that previously. Thanks for pointing it out.

Unfortunately, that diagram is wrong. I took much of my bike apart today for a closer inspection, and did go ahead and remove the canister, bracket, and the solenoid valve apparatus. I confirmed there is no hose running to the Head, as the diagram indicates. That particular hose definitely routes to the throttle body and is a vacuum line, as I suspected.

Start your motor and put a finger on the end of that hose and you will feel it sucking a lot of air. I don't believe it is intended to be normally open to atmosphere. But maybe I'm wrong. I blocked the line permanently with a vacuum plug, and removed all other related items from the bike.

HF
    FabOneUp likes this.
  17. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    I am pretty curious about the "solenoid valve apparatus". I am trying to find the time to make some much needed changes to the bike and this is high on the list. Thank you both for all the details. Please let us know of ant drivability issues. Unplugging the solenoid is something I may try and avoid unless you notice nothing. On the other hand, removing an additional useless component is quite appealing!
  18. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here it is....in all its splendor!

[IMG]

And the whole enchilada.......solenoid, canister, & bracket. No need to cut anything apart. It all comes out easy enough, if you take the time to get "other stuff" out of your way.

[IMG]

Done carefully, it can all be re-installed if you discover that you miss it too much.

Here is the electrical connector:

[IMG]

And the vacuum line from the Throttle Body:

[IMG]

I capped it off with a Vac-plug, and the bike runs great! Appears to have eliminated that lean spot right off idle. My motor seems to be running a bit smoother off bottom. More testing is needed to validate. The vac-line / solenoid valve could be a source of the "too Lean" condition at low rpm.

HF :thumbsup:

p.s. I'll be doing a step by step Canisterectomy article soon....and post it one place or another (not both).
    Battlecat24, Allen, HARDER1 and 2 others like this.
  19. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Canisterectomy...sweet!
  20. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Viola! Done. I just can't get myself to unplug the solenoid electrical connection until HF confirms no issues. I swear I heard my cooling system thank me!
    image.jpg