1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Estimated values for a 1987 husqvarna wr250 and a 1978 husqvarna cr125

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Chris B, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Chris B Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 250wr and a 1977 125cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Honda 400ex
    I purchased both of these bikes for $400.00. they have been sitting outside for more than 15 years. Both are 100% stock and complete. I purchased them to restore and I curious what they are worth. I love the older Husqvarna's!!!
  2. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    I have a 87 250 WR. I have seen running "original" bikes go from $500-$1500 depending on condition. Restored seem to max out around $2000-$2500 range and I'm talking rebuilt motor, shock, forks, plastic to new condition. Unfortunately 87 250 WR is not a big buck bike. A really fun bike to ride. long stroke motor that was basically made for one year. Pistons are hard to find. With it siting outside for 15 years you are going to have some money into it to bring it back. Good luck.
    Chris B likes this.
  3. Chris B Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Honda 400ex
    Thank you for the information on the 87 250wr. What do you think about the 1978 125cr?
  4. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    If you purchased them to restore, don't start counting your cash now.
    Things like bearings, seals, etc you can usually find off the shelf, or by order from a decent bearing shop.
    If the bikes have truly been sitting outside, you need all new plastics, and restore-grade plastics will cost a bit (FYI, most guys use DC Plastics on riders, but look for NOS or 'high quality' new production for 'restorations'). Less of an issue with the '78. But as Photoguy pointed out, the '87 is not (at least not yet) worth all that much, so....

There was a guy a while back asking about cost to restore an engine, find and read that thread and watch your hair go white. If you know what you're doing and have the tools, you can do a lot of it on your own, but you can definitely still spend quite a bit on parts, particularly if you need piston, rod, and/or ignition components.

With Husqvarnas increasing modern presence, they may go up in value (particularly the '78), but I wouldn't recommend looking at a restoration from an economic perspective. You will very likely come away disappointed.
    Chris B likes this.
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I'm not sure if there worth more as a complete restored bike or worth more in parts. The cost of a complete restoration could run $1,000 and up to $2,000 depending what it needs. Figuring a complete engine rebuild, rod, piston, gaskets, seals, bearings. Then the frame, fork, rear shock, tires, plastics etc. With the vintage racing going on the values may stay going up. I'm seeing early 70's bikes asking $3k +. I think the late 70's early 80's air cooled may bring more $$ if you ship it around the world. Being the 250 is a one year model with the engine being different to a real husky collector it could be a gotta have bike to fill a gap in the collection. Now factor in your time. As a profit making ordeal this isn't it. To ride something we brought back to life, doing something we enjoy, that's priceless.

The first think is to get some PB BLASTER and soak all the fasteners. Then start disassembling them. Make a list as you go on what parts you will need.
    Chris B likes this.
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    why are you wanting to sell them?
    Chris B likes this.
  7. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    I hate to scare you from these awesome machines, but it takes more than 1 or 2 grand , that would get you up and running but not looking very good.
    lets see some pics.
    Chris B likes this.
  8. Chris B Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Honda 400ex
    No, I am looking to restore both and add them to my collection. I just could not pass up what I thought was a great buy?
  9. Chris B Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Honda 400ex
    Its not going to scare me away as got them to have something to do on the side. I will post picture soon of both. I am still cleaning them up. They both run.
  10. Chris B Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Honda 400ex
    The Rear Fender on the 87 250WR is extremely unpleasant to look at in my opinion, I am looking for a rear fender that may look a little better. Suggestions?
  11. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    have a snoop around the husqvarnaparts.com website for pricing on bits. bigbill was talking engines for his $value as unless you are an accomplished engine builder, best to send it out to a good engine man to get right. once you start on the dollars, you don't want to mess around shortcutting. just isn't worth it. I would plan to have a restored rolling frame and then you can decide whether your spending the $ on the engine or put it up for sale as an unfinished project.

1st strip the bike , bag and label everything, photographing everything as you go. cable positions, wiring routes, long and short bolts etc so you will have a good reference to reassemble. download a parts manual, print it off and have it in the workshop with you to check on the bits you are pulling apart. with the bare frame you can sand blast it back and either paint or powdercoat it. from here you can plan the rebuild, get costs nailed down for parts and work required such as shocks rebuilt, forks serviced and wheels rebuilt etc and set up a schedule and just tick away at them. a lot of stuff can be done with just cleaning, wire brushing etc to bring a serviceable part back to new looking without much $ being spent.

clutch and brake levers will come up like new with cleaning, brakes and hubs, ignitions, carbs etc cables ..the list goes on. check out a few rebuild threads here to get an idea of what can be done.

keen to see what you decide to do.
  12. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Let's see some photos!
  13. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    WR rear fender Unpleasant !!! are you crazy man.
    That's what makes the whole bike, I think they look awesome especially at dusk when that light back there is glaring at you .
    (no offense to your opinion bud)
    Hell , I catch myself looking behind me just to see the light it's a wonder I haven't hit a tree yet ...
    Chris B and Michel Dufayard like this.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The overall look of the bike even with the headlite and rear fender has that Swedish look to it. It will grow on you when you see it riding in a group of vintage bikes from that era. The rear fender and tail light on my 83/84 250 wr looks like a parrots beek but it works.

I never figure how much it will cost. I make my parts needed list and go for it.
  15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Take a real estate appraisal course that will give you an insight as to what to count in a valuation and what recorded sales not to count. If I recall it takes a knowlegable buyer, a knowlegable seller, enough advertising, and enough time. And no distressed sales count.

I really do not think what is it worth threads add much to a site. You guys still have good tail light lenses, have not looped out or had someone smash it with their bark busters in a stopper at an event. I think I have a new in the box lens for an 87-88 from years ago off ebay for $20 plus shipping. If I had put that money in a dividend stock with dividends re invested it would be at least $60 by now.
    justintendo likes this.
  16. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Got to agree with Fran, if you really want to know the value put them up for sale on an auction site. I am a member of several other websites and face book groups devoted to single marques and you always get people asking how much it is worth. It is worth what someone will pay for it.
    RUF likes this.
  17. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Price also is determined , by if the bike has a title, my 87 250WR has a title & that's so common
    anymore so that ups it's value.

I never really like the look of the WR rear fenders either, but they grow on you, I guess.
  18. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    Put a Acerbis Nost rear fender on it you will have to do some trimming but it work.
  19. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just bought a 85/86 bike to have that DSCN4100.JPG DSCN4146.JPG rear fender !
    Husky cr and Chris B like this.
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Titled or certificate of orgin.

I registered my bikes in vt. Because ct won't accept a bill of sale. The dmv in ct said once there registered in vt they will accept the vt reg as proof of ownership. I said bite me. Now recently ct will accept a bill of sale.