1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Engine paint

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Greasyrider, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Greasyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 BMW 750, 1974 CanAm 125 TnT
    Any recommendations on black paint that will stick to the Mag engine? It seems like everything I try comes off the magnesium parts. I have also heard that additional paint on the cylinder or cylinder head impedes air cooling. Any truth to that?
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I find that Rustoleum semi gloss black engine paint works well on magnesium engine cases after priming with the recommended primer. It is important to not touch anything with bare fingers before spraying and wearing surgical type gloves through out the prep process will ensure best results. Magnesium is especially sensitive to contamination, even more so than aluminum. If you want to paint the fins, you will find it among the world's greatest PITAs after cleaning the fins enough then getting the paint in evenly

After paint cures, a light polish on the cases with very fine grade scotchbrite will yield an OEM like finish.
    Bodger and markt2 like this.
  3. Greasyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
  4. Greasyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Excellent! Thanks for the info. I'm having the most problems getting paint to stick on the cases just below the carb where gas drips when I tickle the Bing. Maybe priming it before going with the black paint will work. Should I prep the case with anything other than soap and water before priming? Also, is the silver Rustoleum primer the one to go with? Sounds like I should just leave the top end alone - it doesn't look too bad anyway.
  5. Billd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 CR 360 GP, 2015 TE 250
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    I have had good success with radiator touch up paint.
    Again preperation is the key factor.
  7. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I use cal-gaurd gun coat paint with their adhesion promoter.If you do the correct prep and post bake, as tough as the original black.If you can blast cases with 000 sand that has given me the best results.
  8. Greasyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    When you guys mention prep, are you talking about doing something besides soap and water? Maybe removing old loose paint with steel wool or a scotchbrite pad?
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Yeah i try and remove everything i can as you have to paint on fairly thick to make the job uniform.
    Best to with fine sand paper blend the edges in, degrease the job with jizer, gunk or swarfega de greaser then hot soapy water it off let it get flaky stuff off with your prefered method wire sheep or desert paper then degrease the whole lot again, i use etch primer and radiator paint as my cases are silver.
    Then jobs a good un.
    If the missus is out and the cases are split i chuck em in the oven for an hour at 50-80c gentlly bake the sucker on. Hard as nails afterwards.
  10. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I would clean bare magnesium with acetone for the reasons stated in my above post. I used Rustoleum engine primer. The system I used on engine cases works on triple clamps as well
  11. Greasyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks guys! Just had the frame powder coated, rebuilt the top end, got new crank seals, a PVL ignition system - all she needs is for her cases to look pretty now. At least until I put her through some Florida mud...
    Billd likes this.