1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Enduro Timekeeping Made Easy

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Richard Colahan, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    Here's a copy/paste of the info on a poster we use at the McKee's WVA Vintage Enduro.
    What the info refers to...and what you can't see here...is a sample of the Route Sheet/Speed Chart that we provide to very rider. The Route Sheet gives the mileage of all major turns, and lists the exact mileage AND the "due" time for each possible secret check location.

Mountaineer Vintage Enduro
    Timekeeping Made Easy!
    Concerned about Enduro TimeKeeping ? (Don’t be!)
    We’re here to help! First, here’s what we suggest:

Equipment: A good digital watch/clock attached to your handlebars or worn on your wrist so that you can check it while riding.
    > A route sheet holder mounted on your handlebars.
    > An odometer, resettable by tenth’s, will be very helpful, but not necessarily required. We’ll explain below…
    > We’ll provide a route/distance/time sheet to all entries…so you won’t have to stay up until mid-night figuring it out yourself like in the good old days!

Route Sheet: The 1st column is mileage, the 2nd is the scheduled time (in minutes) for each mileage, the 3rd column is the Speed Average to be maintained (24 mph, etc.). Major Turns are also listed (8.7 L DR for example).
    > Note also that the Route Sheet only shows mileage points where a Checkpoint is “possible” based on Enduro rules.
    As an example: Because Checkpoints have to be at least 3 miles apart, note that the 1st “possible” mileage for a Checkpoint at 24 mph is at 3.2 miles. So???
    So, at the start…you can ride as hard as you like for about 3.1miles before checking your watch/clock…you can’t get “burned” early at a Checkpoint until the 3.2 mile mark. Got it???
    Also listed are mileage Resets…adding un-ridden mileage adds time to your schedule, which allows you to get back on time when you’re late or take a break.

Clock/Watch: Important: You must set your clock so that it reads exactly 9:00:00 at your start time…which is the “Key Time” for your minute.
    Example: If you are rider # 11A, at exactly 9:11:00 (real time) your clock should be set to read exactly 9:00:00 as you leave the start. By the way, once you start you’ll only refer to the minutes and seconds…you can ignore the hour!
    > As you ride, set a pace so that your time matches up to the mileage. For example, at 8.8 miles you should be at minute 22. If your clock reads 20 you’re 2 minutes early. That’s not good so slow down a bit! If your clock reads 24 you’re 2 minutes late, also not good, so pick up the pace!
    And let the experts worry about the seconds, just try to stay within the minute!

Odometer: No odometer? No problem! There will be sufficient Major Turns that have their mileage posted on both the Route Sheet and tacked up on a tree or post along the course. For example: Note the turn at 8.7 miles, a Left onto a Dirt Road. When you make that turn, check your clock. If you’re close to on time, it should be coming up on 22 (21:45 to be exact) which is the scheduled time for 8.8 miles…just a tenth away…and where there couldbe a Checkpoint.
    > So here’s a hint: If you don’t have an odometer, stay close to “on time” at the Major Turns…and you’ll do just fine!

Rules: A draft of AHRMA Enduro Rules (based on modified AMA rules) that will be used for this event has been submitted and will be posted on the AHRMA web site for download. Take the time to read them, these are just some of the basics.

Important Note: “Programmable” Enduro computers are NOT allowed. However, electronic odometers including bicycle odometers are permitted. If a rider’s odometer or clock has a programmable time-keeping function, it must not be used. Violation will result in dis-qualification.

So give it a try, enjoy the Vintage friendly courseand HAVE FUN!
    DeathFromAbove, Eurofreak and NCSteve like this.
  2. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Thanks Rich, excellent information. I'm looking forward to my first Vintage enduro in West Virginia this year!
    84scrambler likes this.
  3. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I hated time keeping and I was glad to see it go away but I also understand why many people enjoyed them. I think its very cool this kind of race is being done for the vintage crowd even though I hate them. LOL
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I personally feel the removal of timekeeping and requirement of street legality was the end of the true National Enduro championship. At least the enduro series used to be won by the smartest rider, not the fastest. The real reason Burleson won 8 championship against stiff competition from his team mates and other top riders from the day.
    Dirtdame, Eurofreak and MikeDi like this.
  5. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is true, it took more than just being fast, but I am absolutely positive that our timekeeping enduros severely hurt us at the ISDT/E. I did my first timekeeper in 78 on a Honda XR75 so I did them for 30 something years, and I always thought they were stupid. Not so much the ones where you had a points taking section and no one could zero that section, but the ones where 198 guys out of 200 zeroed every check with guys trying to trials riding slow to hit 30 seconds into their minute (and there were too many of those) were just idiotic, that kind of stuff belongs in the circus or the county fair, not at a race.
  6. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I appreciate the riding skill of today's National enduro winners...and they are fun races...but they are NOT enduros to us old-timers.
    Baird, Burleson, Cunningham, Hawkins, Lafferty...those were the Enduro champs.
    Dirtdame and MikeDi like this.
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The idea of timekeeping is so it is an event and not a race. There should be no reason to speed on public roads at least unless one knows where the checks will be.

Are these vintage endures run on a course so that the rider goes over the same spot more than once? Some of the regular endures I have entered use some of the same trail twice.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    the 1980 aussie enduros were no time keeping, just stay on your allocated minute. loose time, 60 points a minute, 90 minutes lost?? back to the parc ferme for you!. special tests were timed to the second ( 1 point per second). lowest points at the end of the day was gold, all riders within 10% were gold, 15% silver and a bronze if you finished.

course's varied from 1 large loop - 200 - 300 kms or several ~60km loop repeated. 6 - 8 hrs riding, no breaks. many fuel stops. big days.
  9. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The Mountaineer Vintage Enduro at McKee's Sky Ranch in Terra Alta WVA is about 65 miles total.
    It uses private property and public (paved and gravel) roads in Preston County WVA.
    Bikes are not required to be street legal or licensed thanks to a special permit obtained by Tom McKee working with the Preston County authorities.
    Those folks welcome the Enduro and post-event feedback was positive.
    Last year the speed averages were set to avoid speeding on the public roads....that will certainly be the objective of the lay-out crew again this year.
    MikeDi likes this.
  10. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400

Most of the enduros I have ridden don't use the same trail twice. Maybe a section close to the pits. I have ridden some where you rode one direction in the morning and backwards in the afternoon.
  11. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stuck in the 80's vintage
    enduro's are not a race, they are an exercise in futility.
    Lots of debate up here in New England. Going back to traditional time keeping. Enduro comps are still allowed, for now.
    Have to keep the tradition of Enduro's alive.

Eurofreak likes this.
  12. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Sorry Mike, of course they're a race- they hand out trophies...

I became an enduro rider after hare scrambles became annoying. I could race against myself but also against my buddies in a less stressful environment. For the same cash I got to ride for 6 hrs instead of beating myself up for 2 1/2 hrs.

I helped run the Newark enduro in western NY- until it's death the longest continually run enduro in the US. The meteor enduro started a year or two earlier but we started up earlier after WWII.
    We never had people zeroing checks as Kartwheel experienced. It's currently run as a dual sport over the same trails -the Monkey Butt

The lack of entries caused it's death :mad:
  13. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh there were plenty of enduros where no one zeroed any checks, certain events like the Gobbler Getter in Maplesville Alabama were always tough enduros and it still is, but there were more than there should have been where almost everyone did clean everything.

I dont mean to knock the Mountaineer Vintage enduro, as I said there are lots of people who miss the timekeeping enduros so I am happy to see someone providing that type of event, I think there is absolutely a market for it. For me personally though, I have zero interest in them.
  14. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I ran the Mckee's enduro and will run it again this year.I actually burnt a check that I should of zeroed.Old school time keeping is a lost art.Having maned and organized check crews for my club,you have to appreciate people willing to step up and spend their day off for you!
    Eurofreak and Richard Colahan like this.
  15. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

I am all too well aware that the enduro format in this country hurt to some extent our performance in the ISDT/E. However, to qualify for the US team , you had to score well in the Qualifier Series that should have been run under the same rules as the ISDT/E to prepare our team properly. Our enduro system here trained riders to last all day under any circumstances. I never got to ride any Qualifiers but that was my plan when I got my 390 Auto. Meeting my wife killed that and our subsequent marriage killed my dirt riding period when we were planning our family.Irony of that is my daughter want to ride and envies my childhood.
  16. redman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    77 360 automatic
    Other Motorcycles:
    ec200 Gas Gas
    jimspac, Embrace your daughters wants if at all possible, find two used bikes and do all you can to find a place to ride. I have very fond memories of riding with my father (who has passed) when I was young. It will be time well spent for you and your daughter.
  17. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am setting up my 349 Cota for her to start out on. I want her to learn properly and methodically. She is too short for anything taller than a small wheel Honda CRF150 so I am trying to steer her to trials instead. My thinking is to get her hooked on it then she can get her own. I have to replace the con rod in the Cota so I got the replacement rod kit (1/2 the cost of Husky) last year so I am hoping to squeeze that in this winter then the only left on it is get a Oko replacement carb and hang the fenders on it. I started with a basket case in 2007 and had it together and running within a year. I could not clean or remove the jets in the 26mm Mikuni I put on it so I can get the Oko jetted for it for $138 plus shipping.

I plan on getting my TT500 going to ride with her on.
  18. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    tt500...WHHAAATTT:eek: 3 firing strokes and you will 3 miles away wondering where she went:confused:
  19. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i used to have a tt5hundo...great motor but it handled like a streetbike. not a good thing in the dirt
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The 55 pound frame on the TT500 and the ridiculously short swingarm made it a wheelie monster and the front end had no weight on it and a 32° rake that went down to 30° for the 79 TT500 I have. Mine is getting de raked to 27/28° and have a PE400 swingarm to put more weight on the front end. The second engine is going into my HL inspired build. The third engine I have is going back into the SR500 I got it from. I am making that into a roadster type thumper.

In the 70's when that came out, Yamaha made it and never made any sweeping changes that would have made it more viable. It was selling because it was the first 500 thumper after BSA folded. They never really got it right until the TT600 came out in 1983.

Ironically Yamaha went down the same path after introducing the Road Star in 1999. It started out as a 98 cubic inch, went to 102(1700cc) for 2004. Became fuel injected in 2007, and I believe that was that last change through the end of production in 2014. Any accessory that was made for the first year worked on the last year and any accessory that was introduced subsequently worked on all years.

Any place my daughter can ride my Cota she will not lose me anywhere until she masters trials and even then I can get the TT500 around and over most.