Electronic Throttle Body HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Devildogg, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Hey,

Need all expert help. Has anyone run into a problem with these? This may be the third one I shorted out. As soon as they get a little moisture in the wiring harness they seem to short, which leads to misfire and blinking Neutrals…….

Little history: I have a 2011 TE 630. I have all the goodies, Power up, JD Tuner, Leo pipe, everything the bike has to offer. I do a lot of off rode, 4,000 hard miles with this thing. I mean I ride it like a two stroke. A while back I couldn't keep this thing running good. It would stall, not restart, blinking neutral, hesitations, surging, the works that you all know best. I thought it was O2 sensors because the bike was running lean, so I bought Powerup and JD, but it didn't help. Once we put the bike on IBeat, the stats were wild and we learned that I fried the Electronic Throttle Body. We replaced it and it ran awesome, really powerful. This was last year sometime.

Yesterday I went for a ride and crashed in a really deep puddle. It ran great for a while after, in fact for about an hour later, but then doing some hill climbing it cut off. It felt like something went like a part blow? It did restart and I rode it again but I had no throttle all hesitation, like a really bad Carb use to feel. It felt like a wet dirty air filter. I barely got it home finally. I swapped out the filter and disconnected the wire harness from the throttle body. It didn't look wet, in fact It still had the water proof grease? I even drained the gas tank, because it happened right after I left a gas station. I know it's not the fuel screen off the fuel pump, because about two weeks ago I fixed its infamous fuel leak and checked the screen in the fuel pump? Nothing helped, but I did notice the JD was scanning back and for forth. I hope it's not this part again. Maybe it's another sensor? Any ideas?

Please if you guys have any suggestions please let me know. I found many knowledgeable people on here and you guys are priceless. I would hate to spend a few hundred dollars on this part again. That is also why I am posting this as well. Take that connection apart and grease it and then tape it, so no moisture gets in. Thanks in advance.
  2. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Did your display EFI warning light go off this last occurance?
    Does iBeat show any codes? present or past corresponding to your incident yesterday?
    I would try removing your JD Tuner just for process of elimination troubleshooting?

_
  3. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm not sure where the EFI warning light is. I assume your referring to the Neutral light? It didn't start blinking until it stalled. I'm not sure if there are any codes yet because i don't have a copy of IBeat. My friends at the dealership have it. I'm sure this will show in the history. Yes I agree it may be a short in the JD as well, but I'm not sure. If i shut it down and restart it, looked at the JD, it was going haywire. Lights all back and forth like when you first start it. Even on rev. and I couldn't reset any of the functions especially in the yellow, but if I shut down and restart again, it runs and the JD is fine. This doesn't happen every time, it actually looks like it is operating normally, At one point on the way home I was riding normally again, but it is cold out, so it could also be the temperature sensor problem? That already went once before. Again I won't know until IBEAT.
    I will take your advice and disconnect the JD and reset to factory, everything is set at 100 on the maps so I should run well. Hopefully it does because a new JD is only 200 in comparison. Thanks again
  4. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    The JD is of course looking at the signal from the TPS. If it's getting a wacky signal that might account for the JD weirdness.

It seems like I read a while back that someone here had sourced the TPS part of the throttle body from the automotive world...??

With a PU and Leo (w/o JD) I'd set your iBeat settings to 110/110/120 (this was my buddy's exact setup on the dyno), you may not need to replace the JD.

5. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for the post Dyno,
    That is good to know if I can replace the electronic part of the throttle body, if this is the problem. Did you read the posting on this forum? Anyway, changing the setting of the original mapping would only allow me to spike the JD even more at that point, so I'm not sure if that would help? It’s a good idea, but this was a freak thing that happened because it was running excellent, good, and strong for almost a year. It just shut off when I gave it a handful of throttle, Dead and then when I rolled to a start it restarted and I had a blinking Neutral light on the dash Maybe I advanced a tooth of timing? It's really cold out so it wouldn't overheat? Thanks again for the help.
  6. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
  7. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Thank you so much Will,
    I did read the threads and it seems like I have similar issues. This did happen to me one time before and they changed the entire throttle body, which I thought was ridiculous. Looking at your history, it looks like you were able to keep the bike and swap one from the Suzuki Bandit, correct. Well considering that you have a spare you keep. Was it difficult to remove from the throttle body? It looks like one screw based upon the awesome pics you attached. Also, to make sure, which one did you install and keep as a spare, the bandit, zuma, or the Yama yzf125? Can you send me a link from where you purchased it so I know I don't buy the incorrect part?
    It sounds as if you had a lot of troubles and experience with this similar issue, but your knowledge has given me all hope again. The bike is mean and nasty and I really don't want to let it go. I couldn't imagine it in a dessert!
    Anyway thank you all for all your knowledge. This site has the most educated people I have ever come across. I will keep everyone informed of my future outcomes as well. They more knowledge and experiences we share, the more finances we save and most of all eliminate stress and frustration. Again thank you all
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The perpetually blinking green idle light seems to be endemic. It started on mine way back when I installed the Arrows (with their TPS) and no one has since been able to get it to function correctly.
  9. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for your input, but the blinking green light is the least of my worries. Mine did the same thing until I installed the JD/powerup, then it went away. I wouldn't mind anything blinking in front of me as long as it stayed running and running well at that note. I'm sorry to hear that yours still blinks, but if you have these things installed it may help, not to fall off subject. But if yours runs great leave it alone my friend. Thanks again for your help.
    organ donor likes this.
  10. feef Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 Rally spec
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 640 Adventure, FJR1300, BSA M20,
    When my MAQS died, I had the flashing light too. iBeat showed that error to be related to manifold intake air temperature. It was reporting an intake temperature of 400 degrees C and a negative pressure to boot. The TPS component was showing 10% open with the throttle shut, and it remained measuring 10% open till the throttle was about 1/4 way open at which point it reported 0% open for the remainder, right up till it was WFO at which point it correctly reported 100%. That was an interesting ride, not least that it happened during a 180 mile rally, and I had to ride the last 5 miles holding up the nav-tower as the bracket had fractured in a crash!

I have sensors from the ZYF125R and the YBR125, and both work perfectly well in the TE, but they WILL require recalibration from with iBeat before fitting to the TE as the TPS values are way off. The air pressure and temperature component doesn't require any calibration.
  11. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Thank you, but what is the exact calibration that is needed in Ibeat, so I can mention it to the dealer. I thought these sensors come preset from the factory to fit certain make and model settings. Anyway, I currently don't have a copy of IBeat even though I should. They are probably cheaper now that the bike has been around a while. Does the mapping need adjusting? Set at 100 for all settings like you would do for the JD? Again thanks for everyone's help. I even saw that you posted some help to a guy a while back on a Polaris forum. Thumbs up to all of you.
  12. feef Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 Rally spec
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 640 Adventure, FJR1300, BSA M20,
    I didn't change any mapping, it's just the TPS that needs calibrated. The dealer should know how to do that.
  13. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Okay, Thanks Im heading over there today and I'm going to ask. Thanks again, really. Again I will keep all informed of my outcomes.
  14. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Oh one other question I had, Is over by you (UK)the only place to order one. I did see your prior posting (link) from ebay? Thanks
  15. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    My spare is
    08 SUZUKI GSF1250S BANDIT THROTTLE SENSOR
    It came of a wreck from usa. They should be able to be purchased from any country that sells bikes that use the mikuni tps .Usually a wreck as the part isn't listed separately.
    I have the husky supplied tps fitted.When you remove the tps whether its the husky supplied one or one from another bike it will need resetting.You use ibeat to set the throttle opening percentages.
  16. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

That is so awesome, but unfortunately I can't believe we have to keep spares? This is the only real problem with this machine. I don't care about the others, gas leaks, bolts coming off, spinning nuts in the air box. That's a joke! This machine is much too valuable to part running next to the Honda 650R, but this water business is serious stuff. This bike just doesn't work with it. I'm afraid to even wash the darn thing.
    Thank God for you guys. I just don't know how else to say thank you. You just don't know how much I really appreciate everyone's help.
  17. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I don't think more than 3 people have reported this problem.

(I'm going to keep an eye out for a used sensor and toss it in the toolbox though...... darn ocd)

18. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for the help/input. My hypothesis is that the SM/TE ratio is quit different. I assume that for every one TE there must be 4 Super Moto's (SM), and they don't ride in conditions we do, well I do. Also, most people on this Blog own Huskys and they are from Austraila. I have an Australia friend her at work and she says the love them there. Thumbs up mates! Not really sure of the weather there but I assume it's really dry? I could be incorrect. This factor would lower their possibilities of this problem occurring. I'm in the states, in New York in fact. We come across just about every weather conditions there is. It's almost bound to happen even if I packed the connection with electrical grease.

If I offend anyone with my educated guess, please correct me. According to me this is a Hugh issue if you ride in rain or river crossings and such. Anyway thank you much for looking out, really, really appreciate it.
  19. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Don't stress too much about the water issue.I think my chain of events happened from the factory with a pinched seal at installation.It wasn't picked up at first.2 throttle bodies later it was found.Then another unfortunate event was the corroded loom.This was really only discovered when a mate got on the phone with the head mechanic with a solution that would have worked and kept water out but voided any chance of warranty.He wanted to solder wires onto the sensor then seal them up and add duestch plug.They agreed it would work but i would be screwed for warranty.A quick fix at the time was to grab a plug off all the returned looms from the 510,there was a pile of them from being rubbed through the harness.It was only then that corrosion was found.Can't really say what caused that.I have kept a spare sensor to try and beat murphys law.
    I am in Australia we get enough rain and i ride in it.I have clocked about another 10000km since the last sensor was replaced.I have done water crossings and been in enough rain that some water got in my airbox
    and touch wood haven't had another sensor issue.All the guys that i've met on rides that have a te haven't had sensor issues.
    Keep the electrical grease in there and have fun riding:thumbsup:
  20. Devildogg Husqvarna
    B Class

Interesting, Maybe I have the same problem with that seal. Soldering it and sealing this thing would be the way to go. I'm way out of warranty at this point so that might be the best idea. Thanks for all the knowledge and most of all the pep talk. I needed that as well!