ECU case removal (EWS)

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Pacificus, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Pacificus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I'm trying to open-up the ECU so that I can check for any damage/failed components within it. It's proving very difficult on account of the gasket gluing the case together. Is trying to insert a tool in the tiny gap between the two parts of the case to pry it apart the only way to open it? All suggestions welcome! Thanks.

The reason for this is that my Terra won't start owing to an EWS error. I've changed the ring antenna (not sure if the replacement is faulty), with no luck. I can't find any other obvious cause. Upon switching the bike on (turning the key, but without starting the engine, of course) after trying to push connectors together, changing ring antennae, and so on, the error code did on several occasions very briefly disappear (showing a normal dash display - odo). Would this suggest anything; if the problem is with the ECU, would that happen?

Attached Files:

2. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    i wouldn't suspect the ECU and chances are you make things worse if you try to open it. It helps to heat the case up a bit to soften the glue. The only ECU faults i am aware of is when they were fried by shortening them to the battery plus. Those were fixed by rebuilding a burned connection that acted kinda like a fuse.

I'd much more suspect simple things like corroded contacts, corroded battery terminals, bad earth. I fixed an EWS error for good (that i've caused myself by very briefly shortening the ECU) by disconnecting the battery over night. My other Terra had all sorts of issues with the dash dropping out or acting up like crazy just because the battery terminals were oxidized. They didn't look bad at all but cleaning them with fine sand paper sorted it for good. These bikes are very very sensitive to issues with the electrical system. Did you modify anything on the bike? People got the EWS error when they mounted LED lights too close to the dash. Also, there's a connector behind the head light that tends to come lose and cause all sorts of issues.

Try to get access to a GS911 to see the fault codes if you don't have any success after checking the simple things.
    PaulC likes this.
  3. Pacificus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Thanks, CB. Yes, I've decided to leave the ECU inspection, for now. I actually snapped a tiny piece of the case while trying to open it with a screwdriver. I'll leave it as a last resort.

I have left the battery disconnected overnight, with no luck. The battery terminals seem fine; the ring antenna connector/plug seemed fine - it was very much closed/tightly connected, and I could see no sign of damage to the wires/wiring insulation. I have made no modifications other than adding a couple of accessory sockets, which have been in place for years. Should I remove the entire wiring loom to check for issues?

Regarding the GS911, I see there's an expensive one, and a cheaper version. I wouldn't have thought either would work as it was my belief that the necessary software - specific to the TR650 - is the key ingredient, and that's kept locked away somewhere by someone for whatever reason! The nearest dealer I know of licensed to use the diagnostics software/tool is 150-miles away. What could the GS911 tool do without the TR650-specific software, please?
  4. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    the GS911 (you need the GS-911wifi 10-pin for the Terra) will read the fault codes and may tell you what has caused the EWS error. Beside that you can test a number of components on the bike and reset the ECU adaption tables and a few other service functions. It can not code ECU to key and dash if that's what you are referring to.
    duibhceK likes this.
  5. Pacificus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Thanks, again. Diagnosing problems is the most important thing right now, so I'm grateful for your suggestion. I'll try and see if there is one available locally, although it would be good to buy one (which I'm considering). I know it wouldn't be able to add a new key. But what about adjusting various parameters, such as fuel mixture, and so on? Is that a job for the MOSS?

What I have learned is that I will not buy a new motorcycle unless I can have the capability myself to read on-board diagnostics, and adjust engine parameters, add new maps, and so on. Personally, I feel all this info and capability should be inbuilt; it should be available on the dash display.

I know there's a smartphone application called Torque which displays various parameters wirelessly from a wifi device plugged-in to the OBD socket. I was looking into this literally the day before I went to start the Terra that resulted in the error code. Do you know if the GS911 device is compatible with Torque?
  6. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    no, you can not change the fueling with the GS911 and i don't think it's possible with any diagnostics tool out there. I don't think it's necessary though especially after the recall update. GS911 has it's own software to display the various engine parameters. You can also load them in excel and do your own plots. One nice thing with the GS911 is that you can log the data while riding the bike which can help to diagnose issues that don't show up during idle. I know it's expensive but from what i've seen so far they hold their value quite well and can be sold once not needed any more. Certainly a much better investment in my view than loud exhaust or other useless "farkels". I haven't used my GS911 in a while since there are no issues but carry it with me on long rides so i can (hopefully) help myself should something happen. I also reset the adaptions and idle actuator after each service (new plugs, cleaned air filter etc).

I use the Torque app on my wife's RE Himalayan but it really only displays parameters but won't allow to modify anything.
    PaulC likes this.
  7. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    Running a diagnostic with a GS911 would also be my first step.
    Secondly, do you have any additional electronics installed (GPS charger, Auxiliary lights, heated grips, ...)? If so, disconnect them and power cycle the bike. Check the ECU ground connection. Clean up the battery terminals and connectors, even if they look fine. Check the ground connection on the RHS of the engine. Clean that up as well.
    That should cover the most common causes of EWS errors. But the GS911 should help point you in the right direction.
  8. Pacificus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Zero accessories, duibhcek. Thanks for your reply. I'll double check the battery and right hand side earth connectors, as advised.

CarstenB, whereabouts do you store the GS-911 when you are recording data while riding, please?

A local bike shop owner told me he has a Texa diagnostics tool, which he tells me should be able to read error codes from the Terra. He's going to contact the company that makes it to check, tomorrow. If no luck there, and if I can't locate a locally-held GS-911, it's into the back of a van for a cross-country trip for the Terra. Fortunately, I learned that my breakdown insurance will fund it. The GS-911 is something I'll definitely look to purchase in the future, though. If only I could hire one for a day or two!
  9. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    i've unwrapped the cable to the diagnostics plug to make it longer so it reaches out under the seat. Put the GS911 into a small bag that i've strapped to the rack. Easier if you have a small Lithium battery, then there's sufficient room in the battery compartment.

If you only want to read error codes you may want to look into the Motoscan app which connects to an ODB reader and is cheaper.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/diagnostics-using-an-android-phone-bluetooth.88510/page-2
  10. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
    Hi Pacificus,
    I'm just trying to clarify a few things so we can help get your bike back on the road.

You replied to Dubihcek saying that you have no accessories but you also replied to CarstenB that you added a couple of "accessory sockets" that have been in place for years. Again, the electronics on the bike can be "sensitive" for lack of a better word. Adding those sockets you tapped in somewhere, and just because they've been good for years doesn't mean they're good now.

Also, you say that you've replaced the ring antenna. So that means that you've removed the plastic ignition key cover that is the antenna and then installed the new one so the tiny wire that comes off it wasn't pinched at all? I saw in another thread that you tested the ohms on both antennae, but couldn't remember the exact results. Was this a used antenna that you sourced from a breaker? The wires are RIDICULOUSLY thin and fragile and can be damaged even if they don't appear to be.

I installed a ring antenna from some Ducati on my Strada and it practically has to touch the key for the EWS code not to come up. At the time the ring antenna was not available here in the states from Husky. If you bought it new can you post the link to where you purchased this part because I need one. AOMC and Bike Bandit here in the states still don't have any for sale.

Have you attached a ground wire to the ECU itself yet? This has been useful to many of us including myself.
    PaulC likes this.
  11. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

I think good call on the CPU
    I wouldnt remove the wiring loom. but have a good look at it. Someone reported a prob, where the loom raps around the steering head, in front of the air filter. And another with the tail light, chaffing prob towards the rear.
    The GS911 enthusiast version is limited to 10 vin # and the pro-version is unlimited vins. When you register the device you get access to the same software, upgrades to the pro are online. The key thing has been the resets & one O2 sensor. The lesson learnt for me is, EFI motorcycles need a diagnostics tool.
    Anyway, hope you get it sorted.
  12. johnjacob24 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Pacificus, I am working through an EWS error and interested in where you got your ring antenna as well. The two ridiculously thin wires broke apart on me when I was working on it last year. I was able to twist them together and wrap them in electrical tape and it worked for the season. This year it didn't work and I assume there was added corrosion on the unsealed wires. Tonight I tried soldering the ring antenna wires together and got the bike to turn on without the EWS error a couple times, but as soon as I hit the starter button I heard an electrical pop sound from the ECU and everything shut off. I'm assuming this is a function of the EWS system? Whenever I turn the ignition switch to "on" it goes back and forth from not displaying anything, having an EWS code, or displaying the OD readout but then won't actually start. I'm very curious if you find anything using the GS911. My next step is to clean up all terminals, check connections, and rewire the antenna. If no success, then I need to replace the ring antenna and if that doesn't work I'll start getting into diagnostics.
  13. Pacificus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    CarstenB,

Thanks again! There seems to be some contention regarding precisely what the Motoscan program is actually capable of. As long as it can read error codes, that's all that really matters to me right now. Can it definitely read the error codes? I'll get hold of it, and the hardware, if it can. I actually already want to buy the OBD connector-reader, and adapter capable, to use for real-time fuel consumption monitoring, et cetera.

MookieWilson,

The accessory sockets have now been disconnected. They were occasionally used to power a smartphone, and an old Garmin GPS. They were plugged directly into the battery.

The ring antenna was purchased over the phone from a Husky dealer. I don't actually know if it's new or from a scrapped bike. It was taken from a Nuda's ignition. I was charged £50 for it. It was the dealer's mechanic who was able to suggest it, as the sales guy said I'd need to buy an entire new ignition barrel, as the TR650's parts diagram doesn't list the ring antenna as a separate component (only the ignition barrel). The tiny wires are embedded inside it; embedded within the plastic body of the ring, which slots over the ignition barrel, and below a second plastic ring cover. I measured 20 Ohms in one, and 19 Ohms in the other, upon a second test, so they are both about the same. The only wires visible from the ring antenna are the two connected to the plug, which plugs into the bike behind the cowling/under the dash. Thanks for your reply.

PaulC,

You are definitely correct in that a diagnostics tool should come with the tool bag of any bike with an ECU! I think the industry is disgusting in how is charges $thousands for software and laptops that read and alter ECU information. I smell a big scam, and the situation with the TR650 is a prime expression of it.

Thanks for your reply. My next step is to investigate corroded/damaged wiring further. If I fail, I'll probably send the Terra to the dealer with the diagnostics equipment. Luckily, my breakdown insurance will cover this, but I'd still have to buy a rail ticket to and collect the bike once repaired (if that day will ever come...). I will check the areas you described for wiring damage, as well as all the sockets I can, and along the wires running from them. I spoke with a mechanic a couple of days ago and described the problem. He straight away said it's most likely damage to a wire/connector somewhere due to corrosion.

johnjacob24,

As I wrote earlier in this reply, I bought the ring antenna from a Husqvarna dealer after describing the problem over the phone. The one I was sent was taken by the dealer's mechanic from a Nuda. Which thin wires are you talking about that broke, which you soldered together, please? The actual wires that form the antenna itself are embedded in the plastic, and are not visible.

The pop sound you describe, to me - and I don't know very much about this at all, I admit, doesn't seem part of the EWS system. Hopefully, someone else here can advise you on this. What I can say is that there's a lot of YouTube videos showing people taking faulty ECUs apart and repairing them. That's what I would attempt before spending £1100 on a new one, or risking a cheaper one from eBay. Hopefully your ECU, and mine, is not broken! My next step is the same as yours: I'll check and clean-up the terminals, connectors, check the wires, and so on. Again, I'm not sure what you mean by re-wire the antenna? Are you talking about the wires embedded inside its plastic body, or the two that come from it for plugging into the bike's wiring loom below the dash?

It's very unlikely I'll buy the GS-911 at this time, simply due to its price. My first move will be to use Mototscan, as CarstenB just told me about.

Please let me know how it goes for you, and I'll do the same.
    PaulC likes this.
  14. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    I encountered a number of EWS errors on my wife's bike and on my own. In fact I can reliably trigger a EWS by having my auxiliary LEDs turned on while I turn the key. But in none of these cases have I heard any abnormal sound from the ECU (or anywhere else).
    nev.. likes this.
  15. Pacificus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    The ICOM-D adapter cable for the OBD socket doesn't fit (see photo). The upper notch doesn't align. Does anyone know why this is, please?

Any suggestions, or should I just cut a new notch?

I bought this to use the MotoScan diagnostics program.

Attached Files:

• OBD.jpg
      OBD.jpg
      File size:
      87.5 KB
      Views:
  16. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar

was that sold as BMW specific cable? The BMW specific cables i know have the notch in the correct location. Not sure if the connections are on the correct pins and cutting a new notch would be sufficient.
  17. Pacificus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    It was sold as a BMW 10-pin to 16-pin ICOM D cable for motorcycles.

I'll contact the vendor. I don't know if there are similar cables that it was confused with.
  18. Pacificus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I cut the cable connector. It fits the TR's OBD socket, and I was able to get MotoScan to communicate with the ECU. So, at least the ECU is not broken, right?

I managed to get a few error messages using MotoScan. Interestingly, the second time I checked for error codes (very shortly after the first time), I had different results. I've attached screenshots to show the results. I'm using the Lite version of MotoScan. Should I upgrade?

The battery is now a little low, but it was over 12 V when this issue first began. The MotoScan returned an error message pertaining to the crankshaft sensor. Is there any way to test the crankshaft sensor using a multimeter and without having the engine running, or removing the sensor from the engine? As seen in the screenshot, there is another error code, 27xx, which is similar to that of the crankshaft, 2764. I guess I'd need to upgrade the software to be given the entire code, and details of the error. However,as it begins with 27, maybe it is something close to the crankshaft sensor.

Attached Files:

19. Lawrence Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    DRZ400SM>Stolen/TR650 Strata>EWS :(

johnjacob24, have you fixed this yet? I am having the exact same behavior. I tried making a replacement antenna, grounding the ecu directly, getting a new battery, etc. No luck yet
  20. Joel Powell Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas
    I have the EWS code and have tried most all the suggestions on these forums with no luck clearing it. If I unplug the key halo antenna then the mileage will appear and the red triangle will blink synced with the EWS code, the illuminate steady. With the halo plugged in it just goes straight to the EWS code and red triangle light on. I was told I need a new key, but I would like to be sure before I send for a replacement. The antenna has 20 ohms of resistance. Is there a way to read the RFID on the key? Thanks for the help, I’m new on here.