1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Ebay: Good deal or counterfeit silencer?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Force10, May 8, 2017.

1. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    Hey all,

So I bought this silencer off Ebay for my 2005 TC250...the part number is 99949 which is the one sold in Europe. I have the one on the bike that is for the US...it has a built in spark arrestor and is made for US/Canada. This silencer at Motosport new is $1085...on Husky Moto uk it's $1040 and at First Class Motorcycles it goes for a ridiculous $2400. The US/Canada versions are half the price new.

This one was listed as "New...Extra inventory" so I bought it. For $40...lol. I was concerned that this being a "race" model...I would have to put a spark arrestor in it. As you can see from the 3rd pic...someone has already tooled a spark arrestor in there. Plus one of the rivets on the endcap is oversized. Not a big deal...the silencer looks mint and unused for the most part.

I'm curious about the stamp though...have a look at the last pic.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

View attachment 79066 View attachment 79067 View attachment 79068 View attachment 79069

Welds look good..
    [IMG]

The "Husqvarna" on the stamp looks correct as do the numbers...what's missing is the paragraph or so explaining "This meets or exceeds..etc. etc." or for the race model "This is for competition use only...etc. etc."
    [IMG]

I don't mind if it's a counterfeit if it looks good and sounds good. My aluminum US model has a big dent in the side and this one appears to be titanium.

What do you think? Good deal or no?
  2. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    well it damn sure looks top shelf :thumbsup: and for 40 bucks... who cares
  3. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    Agreed! I'm going to throw it on regardless...I just haven't seen one with the paragraph under the stamp missing.
    Mountain_Man likes this.
  4. Mountain_Man Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 CR125 Husky, 06 TC510, 08 TC510
    I don't know if it was just me, but before I clicked to see the thread... I assumed one of our brothers got scammed by the fake Yoshimura exhaust on Ebay for the older huskies. Good find on the brand new pipe for cheap, Ebay is like a gold mine of parts if you know what you're looking for!
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  6. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    THINKIN ABOUT A TATTOO ANYBUDDY KNOW WHAT BRANCH OF THE COMPANY USED THIS LOGO AND WHEN IM LOOKIN FOR THE [TO WIN] LOGO FROM THE EARLY 80S SORRY FOR HIJACKED THREAD
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    fantastically great deal. I have no idea why you might think it might be counterfeit. and who'd go through that hassle for a (modern) husky?

nice find. congrats.
  8. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    I guess counterfeit is the wrong word. At $40...the phrase "to good to be true" comes to mind. I think it's odd the paragraph disclaimer isn't stamped on there underneath the logo like every pipe I've looked at. No biggie I guess...looks like I got a smokin deal!

Thanks!
  9. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    I'd pay 40 dollars for that
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I believe that is one of the error European mufflers that were shipped with US models. They were supposed to be exchanged for the correct US mufflers. It will not have any of the US stamping since it is a European competition muffler. Husky had this happen a few times where bikes were shipped with incorrect parts for the US market and they would have to replace them.
    oldbikedude, Force10 and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  11. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R

Sounds reasonable. Maybe a dealer got a bike with a European silencer on it...Husky sent them a US silencer and they swapped it and this one ended up on a shelf for some years. I will have to see how much louder it will be with less restriction in it. We have a 96db limit at OHV parks around here...I'm hoping the spark arrestor will baffle down the sound a tad.

Do you think I will have to make adjustments to the air/fuel mixture for having less back pressure?
  12. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Any possibility you could take it to someone who does metal engraving and see if they could put the proper info on there so you won't have to sweat it. I know it's cheating, but damn, $40 for a titanium silencer is incredible. :thumbsup:
  13. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

oh yeah!

From the welds it appears to be titanium.
  14. vmxwinn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR500,CR430,XC430,OR250,WR400,TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    To many to list
    Yes that looks to be a Ti pipe. I saw that on eBay as well but already have two silencers so you scored big time.
  15. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    weird- I was thinking it was stainless with one of those faux-titanium looks. All Ti pipes I see have the duller gray look to them (and most have clamp mounts- I am assuming because titanium is more difficult to weld brackets to).

Warning: I can barely weld and am not a metallurgist. The only Ti pipe I've ever owned is that Leo Vince I got a couple years ago.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/14-te310r-titanium-leo-vince-pipe.80681/
    Big Timmy likes this.
  16. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    I guess it's possible it could be stainless. I know Husky makes an aluminum silencer and a titanium one...maybe they have a stainless OEM one as well.

I put it on today...looks good! I'm not 100% sure but I think it's a bit quieter than the old one. I think the valve train was louder...lol. Here's a pic:

new1.jpg

The bike had low hours when I bought it in Feb...original tires, original chain &sprockets and original Brembo brake pads with some good meat still on them. Here's the original thread of when I bought it for more pics:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/new-member-with-his-first-husky.86333/
    Mountain_Man and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  17. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Looks good on there.
  18. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Screamin' Great deal. 40 bucks. Wow.

As for the material ? I will say 99.9 % that the material is not Titanium. It is too light in color to be Titanium.

Proper Tig welds on stainless steel should have a rainbow affect of discoloration on any smooth finished or pre polished S/S material near the edge of the heat affected zone when welded.

The welds themselves should range in color to be a shade of blue, gold to pink in color if done properly.
    This color will usually be brushed away during final finishing.

If the welds are darker gray in color they were likely done with a mig welder or were tig welded robotically with a higher deposition rate of filler rod. This rod is usually machine fed and is coming off of a spool that is much finer in diameter than hand held tig rod. It is automatically being fed into the tig welders puddle. As can commonly be seen on the Inlet end tube welded to the first conical cone section of the muffler/silencer itself. This is done for variations in fit up from model to model for production reasons. As the silencer body itself may be the same on each model of the same year. Except for the silencers actual inlet.

If hand done S/S tig welds are gray in color the material is either still dirty from improper cleaning, (poor preparation) or fit up is poor (Gaps). This will cause the welder to have to use excessive heat and the use of excessive filler rod to fill those gaps.

Dark colored S/S tig welds can also be the result of an improper amount or control of shielding gas or its just being welded too hot for the materials thickness which can burn away some of those specific elements ( Nickel & Chromium) that give stainless steel its non corrosive properties.

Doing this while welding Stainless steel itself (especially on thinner materials) can damage the parent metal, cause weld embrittlement and eventually lead to actual corrosion in the welded area.

Evo_Manifold_3.jpg c24897697e3dd0dcffb9c29037e8d48f.jpg
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  19. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    <insert Jim Carrey voice from Dumb and Dumber>

"Soooo you're saying there's a chance it's Titanium"...lol

It's cool...I will deflect to the experts since I don't know squat about welding and reactions to different metals. While looking at the sellers description again...they never said what kind of metal it was so I might have misrepresented what I bought.

I was going off of this other listing on Ebay that says it's Titanium and is the same model number stamp on the pipe as the one I bought: #99949

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-05-Hus...ash=item568807cfb0:g:dSMAAOSwqBJXVh1D&vxp=mtr

I know the Aluminum US version is stamped #A0395 (my old one).

It's all good. I'm totally happy the way it looks and sounds on the bike and the price was right! I'm just curious now what this pipe is! Did Husky have the same model stamp for 2 different materials on their silencers? Or is mine some sort of fake?

It's a puzzler! :confused:
  20. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I'm not saying you didn't get a great deal, you most certainly did but if you have literature you are going by from Husqvarna saying that part number #99949 is Titanium then I stand corrected.

That's what I would go by if I wasn't around welding equipment everyday doing this for a living.

Just short of striking an arc and putting some heat to it to see if it quickly turns blue could say a lot. However that is something best left to experienced welders as well. Ones who have worked around non ferrous exotic metals for some time. It would take but a few seconds with a tig torch to determine what it is.

I would deflect much of what is claimed or said by E bay sellers. That doesn't mean in any way that it is some kind of knockoff or is a fake replica. I highly doubt that is being done or has been perpetuated to E bay buyers by some outfit filling the market with counterfeit mufflers for older Husky's. Lol. The Inlet component of the silencer could very well be a Titanium piece as it was essentially part of a complete head pipe set. Your headpipe set on your bike is Titanium. That can easily be determined by color IMHO. Stainless takes on a more goldish light brown color when heated.