Dual sport riding Mt. Shasta area

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by tree dodger, May 24, 2017.

1. tree dodger Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am going to be in Northern California the week of June 5th and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to camp and ride. I will be riding a XR650L and might bring the TE310 as well. looking for more scenic rather technical riding, especially if i only bring the Honda. I am planning on riding the 6th thru the 8th. Anyone interested in riding either of those days? Thanks, Adam.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Plenty of Forest Service camping; if you got an RV or like to be near a convenience store you want Lake Siskiyou. (also, there's a KOA in town). Cell service is non-existent once you get 5 miles or more from civilization. Going west, you will not see a signal for 50-100 miles. There are spots of snow above 5000' still (actually, I'd guess everything above 6500' is still snowed in; but we had a couple of 90°+ days which helped)

Bring the 310. The single track at Rainbow Ridge (north shore Lake Siskiyou) is pretty tight for a 650L. Take the Honda on FS roads over to Trinity Center or Coffee Creek. Nice ride if the snow is gone... although gas is hit 'n miss. if you still have the wr, that would better even.

I'm going to the Black Dog DS ride on Mt Hood the weekend before, and I should be back in time to meet up. I'll pm you and give you some contact info- I'll then also send you a Google Earth trail map just in case I don't make it.

have fun!
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    hey, my kid (eriktastic, te511) just rode up to the trinity divide (via Castle Crags) and got almost to Mumbo Lake before the snow got too deep.

The snow might not be a factor in 10 days, but be prepared. It's gonna be 91° tomorrow.
  4. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    McCloud has a bunch of ohv trails on the north side of highway 89 that isn't to technical if your up around siskiyou. Heavenly country up that way.
  5. tree dodger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey all, thanks for the info. I rode the TE Friday for the first time in over a year. Ran good, but needs tires. Not sure if i can make that happen before i leave. Trenchcoat85, i will PM you my contact info.
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Anyone done the loop around Shasta on the Military Road? I mapped it out at around 75-80 miles for a loop. Wasn't sure if there is a dirt route back to Weed and Mt. Shasta instead of the highway from the north. I am heading up tomorrow on the way to Bend. Thinking of riding if not too hot at Shasta Dam or other the next morning or just waiting till Bend.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, I've done it a few times- not my cup of tea, but you can see some insanely interesting geology on the north side.

The fine dust can practically be knee-deep; however probably not this time of year. There *might* be snow at Military Pass, but probably not. McCloud has a new brew pub (never been) and Mt Shasta Brewery in Weed kinda completes the circuit. Pretty much Forest Service Maintenance Level II & III roads (maintained two-track, paved 2 lane)... yawn.

Johnrg- I pm'd you my contact info last year... get in touch if you wanna do some single track on your way through.
  8. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is that the Hall that you're talking about in Mcloud?
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Naw, don't think so... it's on Squaw Valley Rd catty-corner from the Chevron. https://www.yelp.com/biz/siskiyou-brew-works-mccloud

The only thing I called a "hall" was the Dance Hall kinda in the middle of town. An ex-girlfriend used to own/run Mountain Meadow Pizza (defunct)
  10. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I should be through MT. Shasta mid-morning Wednesday on the way to Bend. Will be in Redding tomorrow night. Might be able to squeeze in a short ride if you are free and not pouring rain. Otherwise will stop for food in any case. I do have your number.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  11. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    My buddy who's from mcloud used to live here in Napa and last year moved back up to mcloud and another buddy and him bought the Hall and have been renovating it. They should be opening very soon. Just wondering since mcloud is such a small place. http://www.williammaderas.com/TheHall/