1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Don Johnson's 2012 SMR511

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by donjohnson, Jul 1, 2016.

1. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    I'm new here, based in NZ, and have been using this awesome resource for the past few months whilst deciding what kind of SM to buy - so thanks for all the great information, really helped me out.

So here's my new (and first) ride, came with PCV, Joe Rocket slip on, and stock muffler. Just run in at 3300km.

I've given it new oil, filter, plug, fluids and put it back to stock so I could get it on the road, on the road now and it's running race map 2, with standard exhaust. Also fitted a throttle tamer, Outex hand protectors / bar sliders and some Metisse fork and frame sliders.

Found a full Ti Akra here locally. R&G racing sliders have arrived yesterday.

I'm going to change the colour over to black (gloss) on black (matte) with gold highlights, other things on order:

Zippy breather tank / kit
    Supersprox sprocket set and DID chain
    Driven shift lever

Keen to put in a slipper for the sake of it, and get a lot of the alloy work powder coated - swingarm, engine supports, oil cap, rear plastics frame, etc.

i love it already, great fun to ride, and coming from nothing there's plenty of juice in it for me - and I still have a couple of upgrades to go. I figure i'll keep it like this for a while and then start to increase performance.

Still need to check my flywheel bolts...

Photos to come.

468180417.jpg 468181371.jpg
    speedgene likes this.
  2. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Here it is back to stock, with Metisse sliders and Outex hand protectors / bar sliders.

Metisse sliders are well made, but the front right spacer didn't fit on my axle, I had to have 1.5mm taken off the spigot to get it to fit.

IMG_1559.jpg IMG_1560.jpg IMG_1562.jpg

Oh... and this, waiting for a couple of bits before fitting...

IMG_1563.jpg
    speedgene likes this.
  3. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Do a lot of research on oil quantities here on the cafe. Look at Zipty racing( sponsor here). Tinken had done a lot of work to get these bikes to run flawlessly. Good luck and nice bike.
  4. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Updates... stripped the bike down to get a few bits anodised and powder coated:
    IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg IMG_1961.jpg
    speedgene likes this.
  5. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Oil recirculation kit arrived from ZipTy, had the red all turned to black, not the best anodising job but it'll do. Also did some other bits and pieces at the same time - engine upper braces, brake pedal stop (ZipTy), axle adjuster blocks, can't remember it all now.

IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    speedgene likes this.
  6. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Fitted some Hyde carbon on the left, new Driven shifter and new supersprox front sprocket. Got another valve cover on eBay pre-drilled for the breather mod, painted it in matt black.

Had to get creative with the ZipTy oil return hose due to the carbon cover, *just* enough room to route it vertically and clear the pedal by about 0.5mm. Really fun getting that black elbow on, really fun, had to go buy a super stubby 17mm spanner just for the job. Even then, took me about 4 beers to tighten it up.

Mobil 1 Synthetic red grease on all bearings...

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg
    speedgene likes this.
  7. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Now waiting (not so patiently) on my powder coating to come back - swingarm, rear frame, brake pedal, kick stand, pegs. In the mean time I've fitted a new Iridium plug, changed the oil out to Mobil 1 0-40, drained and replaced brake and clutch fluid, removed the secondary butterfly and have the TC449 airbox cover to fit once it's all set.

Checked my flywheel bolts, all solid as. I think i'll replace them anyway next oil change.

Pretty cold out in the garage at the moment, which is good, beer stays cold.

Black TE plastics and UFO enduro tail just arrived, waiting on my graphics now. Not sure yet what i'm going to do about the shroud and front fender, they only come in white for the SMR, possibly order a new set and have them painted black, graphic over the top.

Also managed to pick some bits up from Motobum's TC449, carbon bits, slipper and triples, should be here next week hopefully.

Really missing riding it though, can't wait to have it all done and dusted so I can get on with it.

Gotta say, after working on old cars my whole life it's so much easier and more fun working on a bike, can do everything on my own with beer in hand, it's great.

Thanks to everyone on the forum, it's a life saver at times, really appreciate all the info.

IMG_2012.jpg
    speedgene likes this.
  8. domrvt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 CT90, 1982 NU50M
    Add an alloy gas cap to the shopping list! Looks nice.
  9. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Good idea, parts came back from the PCs yesterday, fitting this weekend hopefully.
  10. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Got my powder coated parts, black came out great, but the gold pedal wasn't what I was looking for so i've changed it to black.

IMG_2122.jpg
    speedgene likes this.
  11. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Mounted the powder coated bits and got new chain on. I should have read the workshop manual, put the swingarm on, forgot about the chain guard... had to tear it all down to refit. I really know the backend now though!

Pegs and side stand mounted, exhaust on, everything starting to take shape.

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg
    speedgene, 268fords and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  12. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Just some more photos, graphics should be here this week. Sounds so much better with the new exhaust, and the throttle response is snappy without the second butterfly.

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg
    speedgene likes this.
  13. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Got my plastics and some other carbon bits fitted. Enduro tall is good, much smaller than the stock light. Still waiting on some more bits so I've torn the front down to get my seals done and some more anodizing done.

PCV fitted and tuned, and I've fitted the slipper but it's missing the basket ring so just waiting on that.

Waiting game now, waiting on earthx battery, fender and shroud to be painted, matte graphics. Plus getting the new triples polished and anodized and the slipper clutch part.

Got my handguards fitted, they're crap, mounting points are soft plastic and just not going to last.

Waiting waiting waiting.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    speedgene and La Flama Blanca like this.
  14. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    Awesome stuff!!!
  15. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Almost there now, got the tail tidy pretty much sorted, got my graphics on - not the best at that to be honest.

Got the slipper part I was waiting for, just need to lay the bike over and fit it.

Waiting on the tripes still, should be here Thursday.

I fitted some ASV levers, and some Watsen LEDs to the hand guards, they're super bright.

Graphics are matte finish, they look pretty sharp in the right light, just can't get it at night.

IMG_2405.jpg IMG_2404.jpg
  16. Mounch Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky Smr 511 2014
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1
    Fucking love your bike. I bought my the last of its kind the smr 2014, but sheeit i need to make mine black. I also have the full titanium exhaust system from acropovic, but i have not bought the pcv. Do you feel that the pcv makes the bike alot stronger?
  17. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Got it done! Ride time.

IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2665.JPG IMG_2655.JPG
    LandofMotards and dartyppyt like this.
  18. One-speed Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gsxr1000 k4
    :notworthy: Looks awesome, really liking the subtle graphics, one of those bikes that gets better and better the closer you look at!
  19. donjohnson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Thanks, I'm thinking about bobbing the tail, the weight makes it hang down a bit.
  20. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Looking good, how's it all working for ya?