Do You Pre-filter?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Next, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Just curious, who hear runs a pre-filter after the pod mod? If you do what do you use? I have oiled “cut to size” home air filter media as a pre filter now. No issues, but I wonder if it’s necessary and if the bike might breathe more freely without a prefilter. A well oiled uni filter should do the job, right?
  2. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    I am running without the pre filter that came with Uni filter and have a sock filter that is oiled in the original filter location, so a basic pre filter. I was not comfortable running without some kind of pre filter due to the amount of dirt riding that I do. Unfortunately I can't tell you how effective it is because I haven't looked at it since the modification was done and I did put it through some serious crap including a good swamping that completely filled the cylinder. Performance wise it is fantastic. I did do the GPR single exhaust at the same time and the combo really woke the bike up.
  3. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    jawjo likes this.
  4. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    I wonder if a filter sock over the 3-D filter frame mod would work?
  5. DenGen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1974 DT250
    After doing the pod mod, I bought a cheap package of scrubby dish washing pads, cut them to size to cover the original air filter hole, with a large mesh screen to prevent them getting sucked through and using air filter oil to soak the scrubby. I know it doesn't keep the smaller crud out but it sure gets out the chunks. The pod mod filter only needs to be cleaned a couple time a year and the pre filter gets cleaned way more often, but it's a five minute job.
  6. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar

where would you put the sock? I also have Engenia's 3D filter frame and just took the Unifilter out. It was really dirty outside but perfectly clean inside as were airbox and throttle body (checked the valves too). I have two Unifilters for quicker swap so i can clean the dirty one when i have sufficient time. It's so simple to change and so efficient that i don't see a need for a pre-filter.
  7. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    I gues you'd just slip it over the outside of the Unifilter, like a sock. Maybe it would help to avoid regular washing & re-oiling?