Do I replace this tire?

Discussion in '610/630' started by hahmule, Feb 1, 2009.

1. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

Laugh if you want to, I understand street tires, not dirt ones. I confess I don't know a worn dirt tire when I'm looking at one. The Web is of little help here. The tire in question is a Perelli MT 21 front of dubious mileage, more than 2000. Beyond that, I really don't remember. I find that asking the dealer guarantees your answer. I've signed up for the Baja ride so I would need to get this replaced quickly if Husky Jury condemns it. Thanks. :busted:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/URL]

[IMG]
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I don't think that it looks shot in those photos, but if you are going on a special ride (with lots of sand) you might want to put a fresh one on, just to make the special trip all that it can be.
  3. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    It won't be the first tire of choice specially for sand.

But for an hours work and $60-70 for new one...whats stop'n you:cheers:

You do own some irons...right.:D
  4. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

From what I understand most of the Baja ride is hard packed and gravel type roads so I would say that tire would be fine. I have never been to baja but I do find half worn tires work better in the rocks.

See you in Baja
  5. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

Hmmmmm

One conviction, one acquittal, one abstention? I think I'll wait for more responses.
  6. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

LOL! I'll through in my 'opinion' to make it a quartet if nothing else. :)

It appears your tire has seen mostly street use, I recommend you put on a new, more aggressive tire on for the Baja ride. You'll appreciate the added grip. The large flat surfaces of your worn MT21 will be a might slippery on the decomposed granite hard pack 'roads'.

The Pirelli MT16 is DOT approved and works well for Baja, @ ~15psi at least at the 'sane' speeds we'll ride.
  7. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Two Questions?

Hello Hahmule:

I think there are two questions in this thread.

1. If you're asking is that tire too worn to use on a long ride - I'd say no, it looks like it has good life left.

2. If you're asking does it have an appropriate tread pattern for the Baja ride then you're going to have to decide which of the many responses you're going to get you want to listen to!:excuseme:
  8. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for your replies, I think I will replace it. It sees more street use since I tend to ride to the off road portion of the ride. I think I've hauled it twice. I'll look into the Perelli, I find their availability has been spotty.
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've had my MT21 front wear with exactly the same pattern and got more life out of it by re-mounting in the reverse direction.

Can't comment about using it in Baja however you might get some more miles out of the MT21 for a more pavement oriented or 50/50 ride.
  10. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Give George a call 1 714 540 2920. The tire looks OK on wear but he might have an idea on what works best there near the coast if you decide to go new.
  11. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Guys around here (Southern Ca.) like to use Dunlop 952s and the Maxxis ITs for desert riding. Neither are D.O.T., but that doesn't seem to stop people from putting them on their dual sport bikes as long as they aren't planning on doing a lot of pavement.:thumbsup:
  12. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class