1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Difference in oil filters

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Joliet, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have an 08 TE510 and have been using HF154 oil filters in it. I think I am on my 8th or 9th filter now. What is the difference between the HF154 and the HF563? Am I using the wrong filter?

Are you guys using the HF154's in your 08 TE's?

Why are the HF563's almost twice the price as the HF154?

If I remember correctly, the HF154 looks just like the factory filter that came out from the first oil change.

Ken
  2. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Mid 08 factory revised filter just a bit, it's a little larger, fewer pleats and heavier bypass spring rating.

I've got two HF154 and two HF563 (loaned 2 154s to a buddy breaking in his 310 and he returned 2 563s, nice on ya Tannan.)

I plan to use the 154 first, as that's what I've run for 3000 miles, but 563 are now available and should be used going forward.

A search of 'HF563' turned up this:

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/search.php?searchid=102966

Brett - enjoying a week of vacation in Vista, CA
  3. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks, Brett. I will use up my supply of 154's and then I will probably go to the 563.

After reading the linked posts, it sounds like the 154's were fine to use until they came out with the 563's, (like a year later) now we should only be using the 563's.

My minuscule brain is having a hard time wrapping its self around this concept. It seems only logical, if the 154's were fine to use in the many months before the 563's were available, they should still be fine to use.

Is there an actual risk of engine failure from using the 154's? My bike is an early 08 does that make a difference?
  4. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Hard to believe there is much risk or we'd hear about blown up 08 engines. But, I bet the lubrication engineer either changed his mind or actually got around to analyzing the pressures and flow measurements with the higher flow 08 oil pump and made changes to the filter. :)

563 is yellow, 154 is red

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

George says to use the new ones...good enough for me.
  6. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    My 09 came with the new ones- but they weren't available right away- so I had ordered 5 154s from George- The 154s upon comparison seemed a cheaper version do mainly to the sealing surface- but the apparent main issue is the bypass...thing on the opposing side.
    When George said he got these in and described the improvements I bought 5 of the 563s- I guess I will use the 154s if I run out of the 563s in a pinch or give them to my buddy with a 2005 te450-
  7. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone seen the actual psi difference listed some where for the bypass? I really wonder how much diffrent it is.
  8. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was just looking at a filter, and the bypass pushes in from the outside of the filter. So if the oil goes through the filter from the outside of the filter to the inside, why have I been cutting my filters open and looking for particles inside the filter?

If the oil does goes from the inside to the outside what purpose does the bypass serve, the more pressure inside the filter the tighter the bypass would seal. then it would be up to the spring between the cover and the filter to compress, letting the oil bypass.

When looking at a filter, the supporting mesh is inside to keep the paper filter material from crushing, so the oil must flow from the outside in. I guess I can quit cutting those filters open now.

Am I missing something here?
  9. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

My finger spring dyno tells me the spring on the new 563 is 'slightly' stiffer, maybe 10%.
  10. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    :cool: So what? Now we are to use the 563 in the 08?

For sale 10-HF154 4.50 each. :lol:

I'll use them up and then switch if that's the case. :D
  11. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    I never understood the cutting open myself- it flows from outside to in.
    But you can better see what is inside each flap (inside the outside:busted:) if you cut it open- I suppose.
  12. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

You are correct, oil flows from the outside to the inside of the filter, you should never find anything inside...

From the workshop manual, lube flow diagram, filter is on the right...arrows call out the direction. White arrows are primary, black arrows are secondary.

[IMG]