1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

DID x ring chain master link

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by DPete, Oct 20, 2016.

1. DPete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 WR250 76' 360 WR 18' FE 450 17
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yam wr250r - Suz DRZ400s - 2 Harleys
    Bought new sprockets and an x-ring narrow chain for my 360, chain looks good, got it cut to length went to put the master link ( clip type) together and had to press the outside plate on with a c clamp and socket. Is it supposed to be that tight? Not sure you could get it apart with normal tools if you needed to.
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    yep, biggest bugger to refit out on the trail with a pair of pliers and a rock:mad: . specially when the stump you have rested the bike on turns out to be a 5 star bull ant nest:eek:
    shawbagga likes this.
  3. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    After the first time compressing orings it's easier, use a screwdriver to pry it off n normally pliers will get it back on. Multi grip type are the best I found for fittin clip
  4. rwgregory Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1987 510TX, 1990 510WMX
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Honda CR250,'88 CR500,'92 XR600
    I have used DID O-ring and X-ring chains for years and have found them to be practically indestructable and yes, the masterlinks are that tight to assemble. I use a pair of vice grips with a nut over the pins to squeeze them together and use a chain breaker to remove the plate from the pins. I don't mind the extra effort with the masterlink when the chain is that good.
  5. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I have a small sharp round needle file. I spend a couple of minutes "fettling" the holes so they are a sliding snug fit. Worked well for me for years. It's not the done thing, so ......... sshhhh ! Don't tell anyone :rolleyes:
  6. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
    grouty,

I am sorry this is not personal, but that is the worst thing I have ever heard.

We have impressionable new people joining this site, that is not a recommendation that I would like them to try.

If it works for you and you realize the risks, that's o.k.

The joining link is tight for a reason, it is a interference fit, so it doesn't come apart and is safe.

With a proper interference fit you may be able to loose the joining clip say a stick or something dislodges it, and not have the

chain come apart, and I have on one occasion.

Luckily I picked it up while oiling the chain.

Once the chain is on you should never need to remove it until it is worn out or the sprockets are worn out.

If the sprockets are worn always replace them both and the chain at the same time.

I have never had a chain come off, but friends of mine have told me their horror stories.

I always think what is wrong with them, if you smash the cases it is going to be a very costly repair.

A chain and 2 sprockets will seem very cheap in comparison.

Cheers, Dave.:)
  7. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    That's why I said ... Sshhh !

Seriously though - Yes, it's not ideal, but works. What is the difference between that and a standard 520 chain with a standard split link ? Essentially you are re-creating an o-ring (or HD) version of a std chain.
    I have been riding and racing for 40+ years and have never had a chain break, let alone lose a split link. Maybe my maintenance is more than most or I have been lucky for forty odd years.

But as Dave says .... don't try this at home :p
    juicypips likes this.
  8. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
    Hi grouty,

Thank you for not taking offense.

I have never had a chain come off in 30 years, but I will replace both sprockets and the chain as soon as either show enough wear.

Having to replace chain and sprockets - reasonably cheap.

Having to replace engine cases because you threw a chain - bloody hell that can't be right!

Husqvarna cases are a matched pair, ask me how I know.

I was once quoted $700 for the pair for my 82 wr250 in Australia, that was in 1989.

Luckily I was able to buy a cheap enough CR250 to rob the cases.

Mine cracked where the barrel joins the case where the case changes to a right angle, this lines up with the bottom of the head/barrel

stud and they had heard of it happening before.

Regards, Dave. :)
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    well...funny you should ask...I put a new chain on today (and sprockets) and the joining clip side plate slid on like a you know what in a where..:confused:

when I was cleaning up I found the joining link side plate still in the packet...I had used the pressed off plate from when I broke the chain....should I replace it with the proper one.:thinking:
  10. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    It is that tight. I generally use the nut and vice grips technique. One Harley dealer years ago had a vice grip thing customized to do both pins at the same time. There is a rivet on master link that needs ordered separately, the clip type comes in a box of 120 links which is what I generally purchase. Two screwdrivers get the plate off for me at least for the applications I do not use the rivet on one. Similar to pulling off the plate after grinding the ends of the pins off to break the chain.
  11. DPete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK got it , it does look like an excellent chain! Thanks for replies
  12. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    This is what you want! I have one and it works great for pressing on, or off, the link.
    Motion Pro T6 chain tool. And it only weighs 6 oz.
    [IMG]
  13. DPete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have a similar set, I must be dense as I can't see how it can press off the plate. I think mine is made for single rivets only not double like a master link. Installing the plate it will do now that I look at it image.jpeg
    RUF likes this.
  14. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
    Hi Suprize,

Put the correct side plate on, as I said doing some routine maintenance on my bike I found the joining clip was missing only time it ever

happened but because of the tight fitting side plate the chain did not come apart.

I don't know how long the clip had been missing, it could have been any time in a long afternoon ride.

Just glad it didn't come apart, a spare joining link is now part of my tool kit.

Cheers, Dave.:)
  15. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I was running my 510 around without a clip for an unknown length of time. just spotted it by chance so I will put the correct sideplate on, makes all the sense.
    I have a permanent spare link clipped over the throttle cable
    RUF and DaveM like this.
  16. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
  17. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Ever see the master links welded??? I had one used bike this way.
  18. DPete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I lack the U shape piece for removal, can make one easy enough
  19. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles: