did i buy the wrong bike? te511 versus terra

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by YOGAVNTURE, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06te610, 13te511, 13ktm 690 enduror
    im inclined to do just that. I have a message into dan at motoexotica to do just that.......but tinken (hope he dosnt mind me using his name ) has implied that I CAN alter the current te511 to do exactly what I want.......(an updated version of my older te610)........I have a message in to brian at halls cycle with that exact question........I hope you can appreciate that I will listen to those mechanics more than you in this respect ........as they wrench all day.......thanks
  2. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    maybe I just keep it for my dirt bike.........and become a collector like a lot of fellows here......so I have my dirt bike.....my dual sport now I need a road bike and im set? I am going from having one bike to three!
    Huskinator and HuskyDude like this.
  3. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Actually I'm on your side here YOGAVNTURE, I just wanted to point out to you that your manor is a little out of the ordinary here.
    I hope you find bliss YOGAVENTURE. :notworthy: :)
    WoodsChick, Huskinator and HuskyDude like this.
  4. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Don't underestimate how much collective knowledge is on this site. Myself alone - lived bikes since I was 17, now aged 48, & would back my knowledge against any mechanic's. You asked for advice, which was gladly offered but ignored, now you've ended up with the wrong bike for your needs - blind Freddy can see that.

There's no point in asking Husky to soften up their 511- that's not what their owners want. It's a highly developed off road race bike (Enduro), with plates just to overcome legal hurdles. If they softened it as you suggest it wouldn't sell.

I'll say it for the final time, if your 610 is in good condition and reliable it is still most likely the best bike for your needs, bar getting hold of a 630 or a KTM 690 Enduro (which in my opinion is the bike that best stretches either end of the dirt/road spectrum).

I can't believe the regularity of your posts on this thread, you seem to have been at it for 24 hours. You've got stamina, I'll give you that!
  5. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    the te511 2013 is advertised as a dual sport. and I am a bit upset it isn't a dual sport......their are others who I will leave unnamed that state that I can make the te511 I have now.......function as I thought it was advertised....I can accept I made error. but I can help the next guy from making my mistake.....I haven't given in yet on the bike.....just because somebody says something doesn't mean its true..........I will admit your sendiment is the majority here.....but I have always been the rebel not afraid to stand alone........when I post my new te511 updated and better than any updated 2006 te610........will you be willing to accept you were wrong?
  6. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Which Dual Sport Motorcycle is right for you? Make sure you watch the next one too
    (How to lift your Motorcycle):lol:

Eaglefreek, Boogie and FabOneUp like this.
  7. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 CR250, 71 400 Cross, 78 CR250
    Hope you can appreciate that I wasn't having a go at you, so no need to be a smart ass! And how do you know what I do all day?

We can all hear you yelling because typing in capitals in an Internet forum or chat room is considered yelling!
    WoodsChick and YOGAVNTURE like this.
  8. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    my apologys. I don't know what you do all day. didn't mean any thing by it other than many people speak here and its hard for the layman to hear what is true.....im just a guy that rides a motorbike and I don't turn a wrench.....I guess I have to accept I bought the wrong bike....I do feel a bit cheated as I thought I asked the right questions.......and I guess I didn't listen correctly......I hear you about the caps and ive done that all my life so im trying best I can to alter that behavior. it will take time.......please be patient with my learning curve. I appreciate your thoughts.......im sure if I have to sell my new bike it will only be a 1000 loss.....not the end of the world......I did the best I knew....sometimes people make mistakes.....i will contact the the dealer and husky usa to tell them to stop promoting this bike as a dual sport.......to me a dual sport means a dual sport.......dirt/road..........its not unreasonable to think for half hour periods on the interstate speeds........my old te 610 does that............I guess this is a smaller bike.......if it cant do interstate decent for some rides.....I will end up selling it and probably just upgrading my te610.....but I probably would not buy a husky again....i had speedo problems from day one with my husky in 2007......and horror story with dealer .....and then with husky usa regarding it........but I did like the bike and prices are good right now for the te511......guess I know why now........they are advertising it as a dual sport and its truly just a ,motocross bike........in the end it is my own fault I guess for believing what people were saying........im not an expert........live and learn. we cant learn if we don't make mistakes.. but I will trust what a mechanic says more than people on café husky......I dont know how much knowledge folks here have.....look what trust got me ........the wrong bike.......
    WoodsChick and 310huskyTE like this.
  9. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mate I hear what you're saying about the dual sport thing and I really sympathise with you, as I would be pissed to.
    It's always amazed me that the TE's are marketed as dual sport bike in the U.S when they clearly aren't.
    Here in Australia, and in the U.K they are marketed as enduro bikes maybe that's because we don't get the TXC's who knows, but marketing a TE 449/511 as a dual sport bike is just plain stupid to me.

Ask twenty different people what they want from a dual sport bike and you'll get twenty different answers, different countries want different things from dual sport bikes too, so it's hard to cater for everyone.
    Here in Australia a dual sport bike needs to be capable of doing 1000/1200 km a day on the highway with a fuel range of round 400 to 500 km, as its a big place and a long time between fuel stops, and it also needs to be comfortable enough for all day in the saddle,then when you head offroad it needs to handle everything thrown at it fully loaded, that's why I have one of the best ever made a KTM 640 Adventure.

Your 610 would be great here, bar the fuel range.
    If you throw enough money at your 511 you could build it into anything you want it to be and good luck with it, but you also have a Awesome dual sport bike already, whatever you choose to do, keep us posted with info and photos of the build
    YOGAVNTURE likes this.
  10. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Now that you have the 511 it'd be worth experimenting with it to see whether you can make it tolerable on the road. The biggest benefit to be gained would be from raising the gearing, as the high revving is what will tire you & the bike out the quickest. I'd be inclined to try higher gearing than you might think. Ordinarily you'd firstly try 1 up on the front or three less on the rear, but I'd be interested to see the effect if you did both at once. It'd be far better on road, but not sure then whether 1st & 2nd would be too high for hard off road.

In Australia a local magazine recently modified two Yamaha WR450Fs (enduro bikes, same class as the 449) to tackle the APC Rally. Countless hours and $$ were spent to transform the standard bikes into adventure style bikes. Safari tanks (total 27 litre capacity) and farings, XTZ660 Tenere screens, B and B custom racks, Garmin GPS with mounts, Barrett mufflers, cush drive hub wheels, increased capacity oil tanks/bashplates, revised gearing (to allow cruising at 120km/h plus) and revised (stiffer) suspension from Teknic. Despite all this effort by experts, the bikes weren't great, were uncomfortable and suffered mechanical woes, as fundamentally enduro bikes aren't built to cover long distances at constant speed.

I suspect the 511 works well for Motosportz because the main focus of his riding is off road, so he's prepared to accept its compromises on road. These basically boil down to some discomfort, extra wear & tear, & extra maintenance, which may be acceptable to get an off road weapon when he really needs it. Your circumstances sound a little different though, as you don't seem to be as hard core off road, to the point where the 610 would probably do the job, as its still very capable.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the 511. It's a beautiful bike, in fact I'd love a sub 120kg real dual sport myself instead of my 150kg 630. I just couldn't live with its on road manners in the long term.
    YOGAVNTURE likes this.
  11. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I cannot understand the issue here, you bought a TE511, expecting to use it one the road more than off the road, one look at the tyres will make you think, ok not really road tyres, but there are tyres you can replace that are more road orientated but ok off road, in the same size as what is on there atm, it is only the tyres and gearing that makes it not as good on the road as it could be. The seat for longer distance, and an added fuel tank.

I think it is a duel sport bike, just how you determine the word sports it is not a sports bike, like an R1, but it can do many sports if you set it up right, people track day them, off road them in the worse conditions, use on sand, mud, in fact anything is possible, and then on road. if you owned a Jeep say if you wanted to really use that off road like you would the TE, you would fit different tyres, possible uprate suspension, why would you expect to use the TE511 any different for so many different uses. get out there and use it even on the original tyres I did not find it so bad after a 100 miles, though you would not want to do loads of road miles on those tyres as you will square them off quickly.

My View still stands this is a great all round bike, They are a bargain, and I think in time will hold their price as it is an end of an era, and be sort after, that will do everything, & anything with some minor set up changes to suit. In some ways I wished I had got a TE511 over a TE449.
    Motosportz and YOGAVNTURE like this.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    You maker total sense ... but this thread is well past any common sense and into fiction... Do we have a fiction folder here?

--

True again and it is hard to understand a grown-up person out here crying here over his actions ... lol... Aren't mommies for that and it will give you plenty to talk about on this Mothers Day ...

And even if you can go along with a actual adult acting and writing these posts in good faith, repeating the same broken-up attempt bashing over and over is showing the real agenda here ...
  13. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maybe he's WB Cherry in disguise!
    McKay likes this.
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hummm .... I've never saw them on-line at the same time before :thinking: ... .... Never really checked either :) ... Lots of similarities for sure here ...
    310huskyTE likes this.
  15. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I really like bananas...... THEY'RE JUST FANTASTIC TASTY TREATS.... You know, if you peel them from the bottom you don't even get the little stringy things. Thats awesome huh.... Crazy thing is, they don't even grow on trees... IT'S A GIANT HERB.
    310huskyTE likes this.
  16. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow! I love bananas but have never heard that before! I'm going to try it tomorrow and see what happens!
    If you are right then this thread has been worth it!!!
    McKay likes this.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm OK with that perfect herb and go ahead and toss in some coconuts for drinks ... Both can be plentiful ...
    101_3363.JPG
    YOGAVNTURE and McKay like this.
  18. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    I got to save up some money and come ride with you! Your photos and ride reports are fantastic!
    WoodsChick likes this.
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You might like this also ... That herb sprout is soft and a 449 or 511 would run over a big one and keep going :) ...
    --

Ok and bananas are free on all rides :banana:
  20. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Ima thinkin the same thing...
    1AUD = 41PHP hhmmm
    oregonsage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.