Dellorto carb advice (SM570R)

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by amvs, Jul 11, 2010.

1. amvs Husqvarna
    C Class

Following the advice below (thanks very much for the reply :thumbsup:) I now want to adjust my idle and mixture. Problem is there's no info on the Dellorto carb in my user book. This is how it looks from the left hand side:

[IMG]

I assume the larger screw adjuster is the idle speed and the smaller one to the left is the mixture? Am I right, or miles off?

Any advice would be greatfully received - can't get the bike started at all today - good free workout though :D
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes, the big one. The other one is an air screw i believe.
  3. amvs Husqvarna
    C Class

Just checked the airscrew and it's only half a turn out from fully in (i.e. fully clockwise) the manual talks about "three full turns" (but is talking about the other carb type, not the Dellorto). Does half a turn sound right for this carb? :confused:
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I would think the usable range is 1-2 turns out, depending on conditions. My Dellorto on my '03 TE610E lists 1+1/4 out standard. I'm pretty sure that it's a fuel, not air screw (it's on engine intake side of the carb), so the more you turn it in the leaner it gets.
  5. Fritzcoinc Husqvarna
    AA Class

You say " today it won't start" ?
    Did it run at the existing carb settings before today?
    If yes, look elswhere for trouble.
  6. amvs Husqvarna
    C Class

It has always run but has also always been really hard to start.
  7. Fritzcoinc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do you know if the bike has the stock, from the factory, jets in the carb.?
  8. amvs Husqvarna
    C Class

No idea if it;s stock jetting or not. No obvious supporting mods though as the airbox and exhaust are both std
  9. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

air screw should be 1 1/4 turn out as a start point.
    idle screw is adjusted as needed.
    try turning the idle screw up a quater turn when cold starting. and dont touch the throttle.
    after it starts, and your let the choke off, ride the bike a bit till it warms up, then set the idle back down.
  10. LFTKIKR Husqvarna
    A Class

Mine starts like Husky Chuck claims(mix 1 1/4 turns, no throttle) except mine will never start with the choke. If hard to start then turn the idle up incrementally. If you flood it or think its flooded, start over with full throttle open,decompression pulled and about eight kicks.

After warm with the airbox set up like you would ride it, turn the idle down as far as you can and still idling. Then adjust the fuel screw to the smoothest idle. Reset your idle to how you like it and go. I have to adjust my fuel screw when I go up in elevation to get it to start halfway decent.

Mine has always been a pain to start hot.

YMMV

Good Luck
  11. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

sounds like you have a worn gas valve {needle and seat}, todays fuel is hard on that little tip on the needle,
    remove the float bowl, and push the pin out that holds the floats, careful dont bend the floats.
    remove the gas valve needle. look close , does it have a shinny ring around it? or a groove? if it has a groove,,,you need a new one, if a ring..then clean it with WD 40, and a paper towl.
    run some real leaded fuel through your bike, most roundy round racer stores sell 115oct, leaded race fuel..with NO ETHENOL..thats what eats your plastic, rubber, and fiberglass.
    it will cost you 8.00 a gallon for this, and the only issue...is that you run out to darn fast..
    100oct race fuel sold out of the pump will have Ethenol as well, by law , any fuel sold from a pump has to have ethenol..
    so you will have to get it from a drum, and in a gas can..
    most motorcycles made after 2003 for the US market have updated fuels systems to handle todays crappy fuel.
  12. amvs Husqvarna
    C Class

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a good look at the valve as you suggest.

Today's dumb question - can I just unscrew the valve from the outside of the carb? or do I need to take the carb apart / off the bike to do this?
  13. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

losen the screw on the spigout clamps, turn the carb so that you can access the bolt on the bottom...make sure the upper and lower gas is off first,
    let drain. tap the bowl with a screwdriver handle. and carefuly remove the float bowl.
  14. amvs Husqvarna
    C Class

Thanks for the advice - that makes the job a whole load easier :thumbsup: