Death By Starting.

Discussion in '610/630' started by mike hall, Jun 20, 2020.

1. mike hall Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Defender 110
    Hello all,
    Been a bit of a lurker on here for a year since buying my complete nugget of a 610 SM.
    Anyway having worked my way through a ton of problems, thanks to the husky cafe community, I am now left with only one (known) issue. Bike starts great off the kick but is a complete pain to get going on the starter. Back-firing, coughing, or not starting at all. If I put a spare sparkplug on the HT lead and kick the engine over I get a decent spark as expected. If I do this on the starter I get random sparks far to frequently to match up with TDC. The ignition seems to become a random spark generator if the electric start is used. I have now run out of ideas on sorting this...
    Thoughly checked wiring, new high current wires to starter.
    Renewed earth connections, checked wiring with 2A continuity tester.
    New starter soleniod, new brushes in starter.
    New CDI, spark plug...
    As the engine runs great once started i'm at a loss,
    Anyone seen or had this issue?
    Pic of bike attached in it's usual pose
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Attached Files:

2. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Elefant, husaberg fe501
    Have you tried using external battery connected directly to starter? Or measured battery voltage while starting? If voltage stays high enough while cranking with its own battery,and starts with external battery connected DIRECTLY to starter i would suspect some kind of induction in wiring. Since earths are checked and good...And postive side is allso checked and free of loose connections that may cause voltage spikes that cdi might see as pickup coil pulses.
  3. mike hall Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Defender 110
    Hi Ceevu,
    Yes I have used an external battery straight onto the starter. Wouldn't start...same
    behaviour as above. I am going to look and see if I can do anything to supress any voltage spikes
    that I assume the starter is generating. Thanks for the steer,
    Mike.
  4. mike hall Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Defender 110
    Sorted...If anyone comes looking this is what I have concluded.
    It is all to do with the speed the engine is turning over. It turns over a bit quicker on the kick than the starter.
    Faster crank speed means bigger output from the pickup coil means CDI starts behaving itself. Put 18V into the
    starter motor to test this theory and engine started easily. New pickup coil with 0.3mm gap and now starts well on both electric
    and kick. A big plus one for Lithium batteries which also helped. My problem may have been made worse with
    the high compression (11:1) piston I fitted when I had the barrel re plated.
    Cheers,
    Mike.
    willie likes this.