Dead Spot About 3000 RPM Under Light Load

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Ignaciob, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    5,000 miles on my Strada. For the past 2000 miles I've notice a dead spot about 3000-3500 RPM--mostly when I'm cruising at a steady throttle position on surface streets in the 30-40 mph range. I don't notice it at higher RPM, higher speeds, or higher loads.

I added a Booster plug at about the 1,000 mile mark and didn't notice this phenomenon until about 2,000 miles later.

If I hold my hand still at 40 mph the bike will actually drop about 5 mph as if it's coasting and then seemingly surge intermittently back between 35 and 40. If I change the throttle position it will seemingly reset itself until I get back to that speed, load, or RPM.

I just did the canisterectomy last night and didn't notice a change.

My next thought is to disconnect the booster plug and see if it the condition changes.

Otherwise, I'm wondering if the Throttle Position Sensor may be acting up with a deadspot or something else might be going on. If I had to choose whether its RPM, speed, load, or throttle position...I'd guess throttle position first and load maybe second. Speed and RPM seem less consistent as I can change gears and still get it to happen...I think.

Any other diagnostic ideas?
  2. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    Did you get the Vac line pluged ? I have the WK and I just flipped it to cold......all is good. You may need to get Mossed...The bikes are very lean.....I think I'm going to the eruption mod to a second temp sensor just to see what happens.
  3. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    As I noted, this issue precedes the canisterectomy and this issue did not change after the procedure. And yes, I did plug the vacuum line...there's not a vacuum leak from the canisterectomy.

I also had the the bike MOSSed when I first bought it in May and was fine from mile 0 to about 3000. I wouldn't think it needs to be MOSSed again.
  4. Scutler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TW200 Sold, 2009 SuzukiGS500F Sold
    Does this "dead spot" occur regardless of temperature? On cold days vs hot days or all conditions?
    HuskyDude likes this.
  5. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I posted the below in another thread in reply to Ignaciob's post. And, Scutler, I notice this in all temps. It doesn't seem to matter whether hot or cold.

6. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    The lean spot went almost away when cold in the summer but with the wk set on hot I could still feel the lean spot on cold ride off unless it was over 90. The WK set on cold seems to have handled this and so far works in 50 degree range. I did zip tie the temp bulb to a cable out in the air stream to keep the reading as cold as possible.
  7. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    While I first noticed it when it was about 100 degrees several months ago I wondered about temperature too. However, it seems the problem is same as my morning commutes have been now been dipping into the 60 degree range. As it cools down further I will keep an eye on it, but I don't *believe* it's temperature related at this point.

I also zip tied by Booster temperature probe in front of the radiator to try and get as pure an incoming air reading as possible.

I also don't believe it's a summer-winter fuel blend issue as the issue has carried through multiple seasons.

Finally, I'm running prescribed octane rated fuel ....Premium....which is 91 MOR at my altitude.
  8. Ryguy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 terra
    My bike does it too, hot or cold. This bike just hates running at 3500 rpms. Only solution I've found is to ride in a lower gear and keep the rpms higher.
  9. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200 GS RALLY..KLR 650..Zrx 1200
    I've tried 2 different " foolers"...the original Booster Plug and the IICE air. The BP lowers the inlet air temp by 40 degrees. The IICE air was only about half that at its highest adjustment. the BP I have transformed my TR and gone is the flat spot @ light throttle cruising speed around 3.5K I also installed a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. The TR is AWAKE now...it really is better. Those two mods are quite effective. I've bought into a bunch of "smoke & mirrors" in the past trying to go faster and get better throttle response. These two work on the TR. it'll still cruise just fine @ 75 mph or so..(sans weave) lol that's another thread!
  10. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Good to hear that works for you. Mine also has a flat spot around that rpm. I thought it was temperature related. I've just learned to live with it.
    :cheers:
  11. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:

Ya know I had not thought about it.... but I run 91 E free from pac pride. The E 10 gas does lean the mix..... M2C
  12. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Have you tried a 10 minute tune up? Mine did this about 2 months into booster plug life. I did the 10 minute tune up... start the bike and let it idle (no throttle) all the way up to the fan kicking on. Then let it run 2-3 fan cycles. This seemed to help for me... could just be the gas:excuseme:
  13. Craig Hashey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1984 Harley FXWG, 2003 Harley FLSTS
    Mine started this yesterday afternoon just after I filled the tank at an Arco Station and did it all the way to work this morning. I'll have to see what happens after my next fill up I guess.
  14. Craig Hashey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1984 Harley FXWG, 2003 Harley FLSTS
    So I re-fueled at a Shell station on Friday 9/27 and noticed improvement almost immediately. Still not 100% but much better for sure.
  15. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's not a fuel source issue for me. It's happening whether I use Chevron, Shell, Conoco, Exxon, Arco or others in the community I live and communities as far as 600 miles from here. I even had half a dozen times this weekend that while at 55 mph under moderate load it would cough for a split second and drop power. Something intermittent that seems to be getting more frequent and slightly worse in severity.

I can't tell for sure, but it may be more frequent in the last half of a fuel tank than the first half of a tank. With that I wondered if I had a plugged vent line, but pulled over, popped the cap, and no vacuum.
  16. HuskyKT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310 & 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    4 Suzuki GV1200 Madura
    My TR has the same issue. No MOSS update yet because my local dealer does not know what file to use however the tech did richen it up. That helped but the dead spot was still there. The main difference I notice in fuel is fuel milage. I noticed some change with the outside temp and I started noticing a pattern in the air cleaner temp and outside temp. The air box temp is at least 10-25 degrees higher then ambient. This changes according to speed. I am going to wrap my exhaust pipe and heat sheld the air box and fuel tank.

My ass and thigh were getting hot and when I found out the converters were in the front of the muffers I quickly air chiseled them out. I was just looking to get away from the heat. I am not saying the de-catting fiixed the dead spot problem but I have not noticed it since. I have put about 500 miles on the bike since butt the temps have been cooler.
    Thumpa likes this.
  17. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    I don't have a BP or Wuka yet, still a slight hesitation/stumble from take off. But since the valve adjustment the flat spot around 3500rpm has improved dramatically!
  18. bikehunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, bmw, moto guzzi
    Eruption makes it all better:banana:
  19. Leo Fisher Cafe Husky - Contributing Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Honda and Norton
    OK, let me explain my situation - I have the exact same flat spot between 2500-3500 rpm and it's annoying as the bike feels like it is going to stall at every street light/stop sign unless I rev it up significantly. After reading all of the comments on this site, I decided I need a MOSS injection ;-) and set out to locate one. Well, my dealer had returned this to BMW so my alternative(s) were to 1.) Take the bike to a shop with a miss tool (nearest to me in the Denver area) or have my dealer here in Albuquerque remove the ECU, dashboard etc and send it to Husqvarna in So. California which is the route I took. Unfortunately, it took three weeks to get my bike back and it still has the exact same flat spot except now, it is more difficult to start (much like needing to put on a choke) and the idle is rough. Once underway and above the flat spot, it runs like a scalded cat and I love it. I now tend to think it may be something else entirely. I need to ride a few friend's bikes to see if theirs feels different - maybe a 'seat-of-the-pants' test will help confirm that there really is an issue and that I'm not nuts!:cheers:
    Scutler likes this.
  20. NorthnTerraTory Husqvarna
    A Class

Darwin,Northern Territory,The Top End of Australia
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Well, it's official. Nothing gets rid of this for me. I installed the Wuka, let it idle for three minutes to reset, then took it for a ride. I was so disappointed to find out the stalling/stumbling issue was still there, on both settings. No one else seems to still have the problem after installation. The Wuka is adjusting the temp on the dash as it should.

So I thought, maybe I shouldn't have done the idle/ecu reset with the Wuka on, so I reconnected the OEM sensor, did the idle thing, then shut down the bike and reconnected the Wuka and went for a ride immediately. Problem still there. Devastated!

The only thing I can think of now is try to get my dealer to moss it again next service. I asked them about the moss at its first service and they told me they put it on the moss. Not sure if they know what they're doing though. I deliberately left the Wuka install until after the service, as to not affect the moss.

I'm really at a loss with where to go next. So frustrating!

P.S: I forgot to mention that by bike is the restricted version with the throttle restrictor. But I don't think this should make any difference.