1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

De-cat question, TE449

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Martillo Dave, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Martillo Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF 230F
    I think I'm ready to de-cat my stock muffler (2013 TE449), and have seen the links/posts showing how (thank you!).
    My question is this: Is it going to mess up my tuning? The bike is running great right now, I have never had any problems with it flaming out, stalling, whatever. I don't have any cash for other stuff like the PCV, etc. I'd like to cool off the muffler and get a little more air to the engine, but don't want to create a problem that requires more $ and more tinkering. Thanks!
  2. DJay trying to get my posts posted :/

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Are you running RaceMap II or III? If you are, de-cating it will make it run better.
  3. Martillo Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF 230F
    When I disconnected the smog stuff the bike went right into Race Map II.
    So you're saying that de-catting won't cause flame outs, stalls etc.? What's causing those things on these bikes? Thanks.
  4. Martillo Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF 230F
    Ah, correction. It went to Race Map II when I put in a jumper wire under the seat. But yes, it's RMII.
  5. DJay trying to get my posts posted :/

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    The cause of the flameouts can be one/or mixture of the following: secondary butterfly, factory mapping and you might need to reset tps and/or up the voltage on your TPS.

If your not going to run a PCV send your ECU to zipty racing so they can install the 3rd set of Maps everyone calls RaceMap lll. This will really wake your bike up and cost around $50.

If your running Racemap II you should definitely de-cat. That map is intended for a open exhaust.

http://www.ziptyracing.com/te449-511-ecu-upgrade/
  6. DJay trying to get my posts posted :/

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449

I have a de-catted stock exhaust and FMF if you want to try it out. PM me
  7. Martillo Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF 230F
    Thanks for the offer DJay (sorry, haven't figured out how to PM :confused:) . Think I'll start with the de-cat. Really can't afford a new pipe for the bike, and understand that the FMF needs other "stuff" to make it acceptable in California. I appreciate your help!
  8. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Probably.

Note: When cutting the cat out. Be really careful not to go too close to the mid pipe. I went 2 mm too close (too far forward with respect to the front of the bike) on my cut and not only did the cat come out, so did the mid pipe. I never did get the thing welded back together correctly. I was able to hack it back together, but it always leaked.
    DJay likes this.
  9. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    BTW, when they say race map III they are talking about the factory akrapovic flash. You have to take it to your dealer and have them do it. AND, it highly recommended.
    DJay likes this.
  10. DJay trying to get my posts posted :/

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449

Or mail it to Zipty. Had it shipped to and from in 3-4 days.
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I'm going to go against the grain here a little bit. but first some background: my kid has a '12 te511 that is a frikken rocketship (fmf q4, some zipty stuff, and jd or pc5- crs). it's actually too fast and hard-hitting for me, and one of the biggest reason i bought my '14 310r.

so that being said: if it's running to your liking, hell- leave it alone. or take dj up on his exhaust offer first so you can test the waters, so to speak.

good luck.
    DJay likes this.
  12. DJay trying to get my posts posted :/

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    You can also do a map switch on the PCV or the Stock ECU for mild and wild.
  13. DJay trying to get my posts posted :/

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    I just PM'ed you.
  14. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    DMV doesn't look at them if that's what you are concerned with. Try to find a used FMF, even if it's beat up a bit, it'll be worlds better than the decatted stock. I had both on my bike. The FMF made a difference you could feel. Should be able to find a used JD tuner which will help with fueling with either decat or fmf. Also, the butterfly is a good mod that couldn't be any easier to do. Also grid off the thing on the throttle pulley. It's also listed in DM's butterfly thread (or check out the facebook group). Both are free, and make a difference.
    The run on caused by the tab on the throttle pulley is dangerous. Don't ask me how I know.