creamy oil & strange pieces

Discussion in 'TR650' started by risinqsun, Dec 30, 2016.

1. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Hey guys,

my name is Florian and I'm from germany..
    I bought my Terra back in June, gave it a full service (I'm a mechanic myself) and rode it about 10t km, some of them on a trip through southern france with some pretty hard riding..
    The last 2-3t km, I started noticing white/brown cream when I opened my oil cap on the tank.
    I don't think that's condensed water as I rode longer trips in between checking.. and the cream still remains.. And I'm pretty sure my coolant level dropped slowly.. As far as I know, the engine is based on the one from the BMW F650GS. I found an article talking about wear of the water pump seals.. (Link: http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Water_Pump_Seal_Repair_FAQ.htm). Unfortunately, there's some coolant leaking through that weephole under the pump. And it's not that healthy if my engine is running with some oil/coolant mixture^^

In addition to that:
    Yesterday I drained the oil and found quite a bit of fine metal shavings on the plug (most of them are from my cluth I guess) and two larger pieces. Seems like they are made out of plastic.. Strange thing is, they are magnetic. I'll attach a picture of them (size compared to sunflower seed(sorry, found nothing better :D)).

Would be really nice if there's anybody with an idea or advice.

P.S. Does this forum has a category where member can present themselves along with their bikes? Didn't find one.

Greetings from germany, Flo

Attached Files:

2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Do those little pieces fit together to make one piece? It almost looks like it could be a locking tab that broke off.
  3. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Yes, they one piece.
    Can you explain what part you exactly mean?
  4. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    they make one piece*
  5. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    On the clutch hub for instance, there is a washer that you bend tabs on to lock the nut from turning loose. Locking washers of this type may be used in other spots in the engine/trans.

If you match the two little pieces and they fit together, it is about the size of a locking tab. If the tab had been bent a couple times, it will break at the spot of bend, and there will be an indication of a radius if that is the case. The edge where it broke would be more jagged or rough compared to the other three sides.

You just need to find your coolant leak, clean all the milky oil out and then just pay close attention to the bike. If you are getting strange sounds from the clutch side, you will need to disassemble and fix it. It could be from the other side, but I have not pulled that side apart yet on my bike and not familiar with any (bend tab) locking washers.

Here is a link to a good parts breakdown. You can look through until you find a washer or any part with a locating tab or lock tab.

A washer may look like this or another part with such a tab. then you can decide if you wish to teardown to fix once you find where it came from.
    [IMG]
  6. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Hm.. I anyway planned to take the side cases of.. The bike is torn apart so I'll adapt to that situation and check clutch and stuff like that..

Thanks!
  7. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    I found my problem regarding the pieces.. My stator is falling to pieces.. Can't believe it.. but see for yourself..

IMG_20170102_180806.jpg IMG_20170102_180810.jpg IMG_20170102_180829.jpg

In the last picture you can clearly see where my two little pieces came from..
    I'm quite pissed.. So, what do you guys suggest? I've got no experience with built in stators.. Can I just put that back or should I get a new one?
    If I'll put it back there, it won't be long until the next part finds it way off their initial place.. In the worst case, it can clog my oil drillings..
    Well, if I get a new one, it'll look the same in 20tkm..

Are there any fit ins with other structure?
    As always, open for suggestions, guys :)
  8. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
    The flaking/chipping of the stator looks like the trailing edges wrt flywheel rotation. I'm not familiar with the Terra engine but your stator looks drenched in oil. The stator should be dry. If oil is in the stator cavity it's going to cream your oil and cause damage. Maybe check the crankcase oil seal on the flywheel side?
  9. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    I think that is the normal situation in the 650 Rotax.. These things are coated with epoxy, so my guess is that this should prevent foaming up oil..
    But I already started questioning in case my guess is wrong..
  10. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
  11. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    If you look closely, cou can definitely see that this one also starts to fall apart. Scroll down to the description and klick the pics. They will open in a new tab. They are larger than the ones shown in the article itself.
    Compared to that one mine looks quite fine.. I guess I'll just remove the loose parts around the metal plating and should be fine to go..
  12. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    So guys, I cleaned the stator from the crispy epoxy and sanded it down to clean all edges and rough marks on the metal.

Here's the final result (still needs cleaning with air pressure):

IMG_20170107_125526.jpg IMG_20170107_134642.jpg

I hope it works out this way.

Regarding the water pump I called of a BMW dealer in my area and ordered the kit including the seal in the cover (46€ all together).
    When that arrives, I'll put everything back together, check my valve clearance while I'm at it and then continue to check the rest of my bike like bearings, wiring etc..
    Ah, and I've ordered stuff to do the pod mod.. So that'll be done aswell.

Greetings from Germany
    LED, nev.. and duibhceK like this.