couple of questions about sm610

Discussion in '610/630' started by johnny555, Apr 16, 2009.

1. johnny555 Husqvarna
    B Class

Hello all,
    I used to own a KTM LC4 SM and have the itch for another supermoto, should have kept it but with only 5 gears was kinda limited on the highway. Up to what speed can the sm610 comfortably ride on the highway? Where I'm at, need to be able to ride around 80 to not get run over.

I stand at 6'4", for you similarly sized riders how has the sm610 been to ride?

I miss having a lightweight bike made to handle the rough roads and the $1000 rebate has me thinking of helping stimulate the economy :) Thanks for your time.

-johnny
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The 610 is a great bike. It will do 80 all day long but it is at the upper end of the comfort zone. 70 is EZ. super fun bike. Love mine so much I'm selling my superhawk.

Mine...

[IMG]
  3. FredE Husqvarna
    B Class

610SM queries

I owned a DRZ400SM, and borrowed a buddy's LC4 a few times........both bikes left me wanting. Both needed another gear (as you pointed out) for the open road. The DRZ just didn't have enough motor, and the KTM vibrated my hands & feet to numbness at speed.
    While I'm not as tall as you, I'm a big guy at 6'/240 lbs.......the DRZ's ergos were cramped for me - the KTM fit much better.

I picked up a 2008 "Hero Deal" 610SM when my SuMo itch needed scratching - and it's been a gas so far. Ergos-wise, it's MUCH more suited to me than the DRZ - and feels better than my bud's Duke, mainly because of the relative lack of vibration - it's surprisingly smooth for a big single.

I'm finding 75 to be max comfortable highway speed for me - seems like it's in a groove right about there. Much more velocity, and you can really feel the buffeting. Okay for short bursts (passing), but not what you'd call ideal for sustained travel.

What I'm enjoying about the 610SM is it's ability to accept steering inputs well - you can put it where you want it with no drama at all. This bike excels in the twisty bits - an absolute joy to ride at pace on your favorite roads.

The 610SM is a capable and substantial machine, useful beyond the usual SuMo niche. The motor is strong, the sixth gear makes a big difference on the highway, the brakes are stellar, the chassis is imperturbable, ergos/suspension are suitable for a bigger person, and it's good looking too. What it does need is a better seat - I've got one on order from Renazco Racing.

Guess you can tell I really like my Husqy 610SM, eh?

Attached Files:

4. johnny555 Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks, guys. Sharp looking bikes :)

When you say 70-80 is the comfort zone does the engine feel stressed at higher speeds?
  5. FredE Husqvarna
    B Class

Rpm/mph

Not at all.........just a question of managing the windblast. You can always lose a tooth or two from the rear sprocket - that will bring down the RPMs at highway speed.
  6. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll second all the previous statements and just add that with the "Hero" saving you can give Britannia Composits a call, it might fix this problem:

:thumbsup:
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    FredE pretty much hits the nail on the head. I've got an SM610 and my guy is on his 2nd LC4 640e. He has the full SM set up, including a MotoMaster caliper and Magura mastercylinder. He's got a full titanium Akrapovic exhaust and a Keihin carb. It's a whole different bike with just the addition of the carb, but the thing is a paintshaker, for sure. My eyeballs rattle in my head when I'm on it...seriously, it's hard to focus my eyeballs...it's the weirdest thing! My 610 is butter-smooth by comparison.

I'm a big believer in the 6-speed gearbox. I think every bike should have one and that was one of the factors in my decision to go with the Husky. I have cruised many miles at 70-80mph and it didn't feel like I was stressing my motor at all. The wind at those speeds is not the friendliest thing in the world, but I'm sorta used to it as my regular streetbike is naked.

The longest day I've done on the SM610 was 250 miles, mostly pavement with some 4x4 roads thrown in, and I was able to walk normally the next day:D The seat isn't as rough as my stock KTM 450 EXC seat was, but a Guts Comfort seat would be a nice addition. A Renazco seat would be great if you can come up with the money.

My guy is 6' tall and he feels a little cramped on the 610. He likes his
    LC4 because he says it feels like a Cadillac - big, comfortable and heavy. It's nowhere near as nimble as the 610, as the weight of the LC4 is all up top. I have no idea where the weight of the 610 is because I don't notice it at all on the street. It's a little heavy for me in the dirt as I'm only 5'1" and it's much heavier than my other dirtbikes, but it is the most fun bike I've ever owned by far, no matter where I'm riding it.

FredE is spot-on when he says the 610 is a substantial and capable machine that is far more versatile than your average run-of-the-mill supermoto machine. It really is the do-it-all machine I hoped it would be when I bought it.

WoodsChick
  8. FredE Husqvarna
    B Class

WoodsChick, I experienced the same phenomenon on the Duke - I thought that my glasses were causing it, by being rattled between the bridge of my nose and the inside of my helmet.

On a side note - I picked my Distanzias up today, and am hoping to follow the fine off-pavement example (well, maybe not quite as extreme) you've set for us 610SMers here at the Cafe.
  9. jcarlson9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

610 on the freeway

I had a nice 06 610,that i rode to work,couple times a week.at about 80 for long periods of times seemed excessive.sold it to get the ktm950 sm,at 80 its barely breathing.:D