Counter shaft splines

Discussion in '610/630' started by tim larson, Aug 19, 2012.

1. tim larson Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey all, I recently picked up a '07 te 610 with a little over 10k mi. In the process of tearing it down and checking everything I removed the counter shaft sprocket and found lots of play ,I found the actual countershaft splines to be worn to about half the size of the original splines creating lots of play in the sprocket on the shaft.
    Has anyone experienced this? I planned on having to do some work on a dirt bike with 10k mi,s on it but never thought to check for this.
    So the question is what,s it cost to have split the cases and install a new shaft, and replace any other parts , bearings etc. ? Has anyone out there taken on this job themselves? I have done top end rebuilds and basically everything on a motorcycle, including splitting the cases on my old CZ many years ago but that was a pretty rudimentary engine and didn't require special tools. Any input you might have is much appreciated, thanks TL
  2. 630 driver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, suzuki, yamaha
    I have split many cases on many bikes from single cylinder to four. In my opinion there is nothing like doing it yourself. I know many great mechanics who I would let work on my stuff but I know they willl still jot take the care that I do because I know I am the one who is going to ride it. With that said, I have learned time and time again there is no magic ... Only mechanics andthey only go together right one way. Get you a flywheel puller and read the book. Then when you get in there replace anything out of tolerence or that does not give you a warm fuzzy. Good luck
    TRIPLE-M likes this.
  3. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It's a common problem...made worse by the use of sprockets that are cut loose from the Git-Go.

You are just going to have to take it apart.....all the way apart unfortunately.
  4. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    If you want to save it for a winter project, you could weld a super hard (Ironman) replacement on and ride it for 5000+ miles.
  5. tim larson Husqvarna
    A Class

Yep,pretty much have to do it. I think I,ll have Motoexotica do the job, talked to them on the phone today and they,ll do the job and check every thing else out while I work some extra hours to pay for it.
    I'm curious why this happened, the splines should have lasted longer than that. Maybe chain was too tight? Or lots of highway miles? Or maybe the shafts weren't hardened enough. Oh well , is what it is, just have to bite the bullet. Thanks for your input guys, TL
  6. larry belli Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Triumph Street Triple & HD XL883
    I've read something about this (610's) on other forums. Is this a husky fault or putting an after market sprocket on the front. I planned on putting a 16t up front.
  7. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Both, sort of. Not a Husky thing though...just a bike thing in general. On the one hand the load transference is gonna cause slop over time and the brand of CS sprocket can make a difference...some fit more snug than others.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/countershaft-sprocket-freeplay.21270/#post-187269
    larry belli likes this.
  8. larry belli Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Triumph Street Triple & HD XL883
  9. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I noticed a couple mm play in my countershaft today, should I be worried? I don't think wheelies do it any good do they? With the summer nearly here several wheelies on the way to work is not unheard of and unfortunately they can't be avoided.

I read about greasing the countershaft, but then if you go off road that is bad because the grease mixes with dirt and creates a grinding paste, so I washed it all off with brake cleaner today and am back to a dry counter shaft and sprocket.

Anything else I can do to prevent wear? My bike has about 20k miles on it.
    gaz likes this.
  10. pickles Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300 BMW F800gs
    I found the same issue on my 2009 610 and will be replacing the shaft over the next month or so. Annoying after only 17000kms.
  11. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    If you're at around 20K miles without significant slop between the sprocket/shaft, then I think your shaft will go the distance (meaning until it needs a case splitting for some other reason such as full overhaul.) Some wear fast, others don't...we suspect it has to do with either or both: the hardness/batch of shafts and/or riding style and method of upkeep. I'm at about 16K miles now on my 630 and my slop is becoming more appreciable (can see the indents on the splines), which is a crying shame as I had to split the cases about 8K ago but, then, the splines were fine.
  12. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I put a dollup of silicon around the spline and the sprocket. It seems to help, but I only did 5000 km on my 630 and only have 2000 on my SWM-really too early to call.
    Oldscool likes this.
  13. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    If my countershaft eventually gets worn I'm going to put on a new sprocket, tack weld it, and run it 10,000 more miles.

Knock on wood, I'm at 12,000 miles and have no discernible wear.

14. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Can i see a picture of this problem on a te630? thank you
  15. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I've had my countershaft replaced and after a long ride (multiple weeks) last year there is slight wear, but not bad. I am going to get some Loctite 680 and see how it works. There are a number of threads on DRZ's that have the same problem and the Loctite Fix seems to work. I'm also looking for a sprocket that fits tight; difficult. I have a new one from Sprocket Center, and it's not bad, but could be better. I hear that the Renthal items are good so I'll look for one. If the slop can be eliminated I think the problem will go away.
  16. blueknob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 harley davidson superglide
    JT sprockets fit tight, usually have to tap them on with a hammer:thumbsup:
    Kenneth Webb and ghte like this.
  17. Kia-ora Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none yet Soon to purchase a SWM
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW r100gspd, Benelli 250 supersport
    I got a Husqvarna front sprocket for my SWM and it was too small and wouldn't fit on the spline. Wonder if SWM have beefed things up a bit to remedy the problem?
  18. diter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Coming from Beemers, I have several shaft drive bikes. So my knee-jerk reaction is to slather Honda Moly 60 on anything that even remotely looks like a spline :)
    taps likes this.
  19. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Hi Diter; Is Moly 60 a kind of instant metal bond?
  20. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    No it's a high moly sulphide grease