Cougar Buttes this weekend: Mar 23-24 2013

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by Jeff aka BOLT, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jeff aka BOLT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Shopping for lightly used 09/10 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    350SXF 530EXC 300XC 525EXC 525MXC
  2. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    Crap, would love to attend this! Stripped swingarm and reservations at the DV Noobs rally the following weekend.

I'm sweatin' it right now!
  3. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Oh I thought the title said " Cougar Butts" clicked on it by accident
    Jeff aka BOLT, McKay and wait4me like this.
  4. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR650, IT490 a few others.
    Hi Jeff, have you been to cactus flats ohv? Not far from your location in Johnson Valley. Limited Green sticker riding :(
  5. Jeff aka BOLT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've been there as a volunteer... but not to ride so much. I tend to gravitate to the Arrowhead trails.
  6. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    How do like the 3n34 upto crab Flats, 1w12 , how about the 1w17 :lol:....

Camping @ big pine dualsporting is nice. Crab Flats is typically busy, could be nice place to stage.

If I get back in time from AZ I will swing by your camp :thumbsup:
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I'll be at Cougar Buttes this weekend.
  8. Collinsb Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1200GSA,
    I'm in for a day ride... Gotta be home Sunday.
  9. Collinsb Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1200GSA,
    I came out for the day.. I think I was at Cougar Buttes, however I dont know anyone. Rather than randomly approach anyones camp, I simply went out on my own... Covered a huge loop, many routes were plaqued with whoop after whoop. Fun day though.
  10. Jeff aka BOLT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    We got more posts AFTER the event than before. I'm still learning this website. Def runs on a different mindset. Next time I'll show up a week after the event and then I'll have Husky riders to ride with ! :lol:
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I rode past someone with a yellow and white land cruiser & husky near Anderson. Watched for riders on my way out, too. It was busy with Razors and other four wheelers. Stacy had me ride 10 miles of whoops, I'm over whoops now.
  12. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Have to love Johnson Valley :) Miles and Miles of Whoops in every direction!
  13. Jeff aka BOLT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Those riding whoops at Johnson Valley not riding the good stuff... me thinks ! :D
  14. Collinsb Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1200GSA,
    I think that was me.... driving a yellow/wht. FJ Cruiser, with the bike mounted on the back. Blond guy (really handsome :) ) confused looking, not sure where the hell I was headed. Next time I'll make a real effort to locate camp and connect.
    Tinken likes this.
  15. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    If you not in whoops, Your in the rocky hill climbs, sand wash or making new Trails :eek: or wait..... maybe your on the graded road :lol: ... Sorry Jeff, You left that door open :D lol Whoops are great exercise for the body :thumbsup: Johnson has no shortage of Whooped out roads.

http://www.ohvguide.com/maps/johnsonvalleygps.htm
  16. Jeff aka BOLT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    JV has sand dunes... miles and miles of single track... rock gardens... nasty hill climbs... it has it all... no need to ride all the whooped out crap everyone else rides. My buddy was leading last weekend... and we were rolling through those big funky off timed whoops you speak of. I saw a line... imagined it in my mind... my handle bars took over... and we rode the next 35 miles without a whoop... carving around cactus and creasote bushes... as far as the eye could see.
    Sometimes better riding just needs a fresh eye... or you can go find the 40 miles of flowing single track I left for you last week ! :applause:
    Desertyucca likes this.
  17. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beware for those creosote bushes, I had to have one cut out of my arm once. Lost control it in the whoops about 8 years ago in JV, hit one head on, continued riding, Reached the top of the hill looked at my arm and piece went in about 6 inches and broke off. I was stabbed by a bush!:lol:

I have to say, as much as I dislike Whoops and fields of Rocks, after so many years and years of punishment by JV, We are lucky to have JV. Some entire states I learned @ google communities only have about 65 miles of Trails. :eek:
  18. Jeff aka BOLT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Creosote bushes are also a favorite home for the Mojave Green Rattle Snake. Best not to fall into one if possible.
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Yup, gave you the :thumbsup: as Stacy and I rode by you. We proceeded up to J238 where I fell over in some soft powder. Luckily a spiny cactus broke my fall. :eek: The sand up there was so fine that we had to push the KTM to get it out. I up-shifted on the Husky and blasted out of it no problem.
    Creosote bush heaven out there. Ya know, Casselli (old prospectors m/c member) used to drain all the gas out of the bikes in camp and light all the creosote bushes on fire... *cough* but you didn't hear that from me... Hahaha
    Prospector's camp was back at the second cougar buttes rock climbing hill about a mile up the road from the normal area. Lots of KTM's and Husabergs, only one Husky. :D
  20. Collinsb Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1200GSA,
    I wondered if perhaps you and she were from this forum. Sorry we didn't meet up.

Not knowing my way around and off exploring, I think I rode the Rockiest, whoopiest, shittiest areas that Johnson Valley offers. Glad to know there's hope of better riding out there.
    Tinken and Desertyucca like this.