1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Corroded ? chain tension adjustment bolts question

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Dan888, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Dan888 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    "08" TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KLX 250s ( w/351 kit)
    "09" TE 250
    Doing some maintenance over the winter, and addressing an issue i found last summer. It seems that the end of the adjustment bolt that is inside the swingarm is gobbed up, probably rusted. Googled it and found at least one mention of something similar, basically it was a tip to take these bolts out and coat them with anti seize before it becomes a problem. LOL, well I'm past that point i think. Both bolts move freely in and out , but only out so far before they get tight. I don't want to keep turning them and damage the aluminum swingarm. Thinking someone on here may have a tip. ? I have a couple ideas, One is to cut the head of the bolt off , cut a slot in the end and then run them on into the swingarm and let them rattle around forever. Replacing them with new ones from the outside. the other idea is to go ahead and wrench them out or drill them out and then tap the hole for a larger bolt. Anybody got any " more smarter" ideas?
    Thanks, Dan
  2. Dan888 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    "08" TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
  3. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    It is a common issue. I broke one off, had to drill it out and re-tap the thread. If you do run them in you could get them out next time you have the swingarm off.
    Instead of replacing with more of the same I got anodized alloy from the bolt shop and applied anti-seize too.
    You may be able to find an adjuster kit with axle blocks for that bike, check 7602 Racing, maybe ZipTy.

:cheers:
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    if you have access to a propane torch, heat the aluminum where the threads are, and spray a good heat resistant penetrant on there..work the bolt in and out and with it good and hot, they should come out.
    greasing these bolts is pretty standard on all bikes..not just a hoosk problem
  5. Dan888 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    "08" TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    thanks for the replies / advice. First bike with this type of adjusters, the old kawi has "snail" type adjusters.

While i was away,I drilled .125 holes on the underside of the swingarm where the bolts comes through. Sprayed a bunch of Kano-Kroil up in on that side of the bolt and worked it in and out some. Plan to do this a few more times over the next few days, and see if i can work it out. The Kano-Kroil has worked wonders for me before on rusted parts.

[IMG]
  6. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    If that doesn't work, mix diesel and ATF in a 50/50 ratio, and use as penetrating oil. Hopefully the Kroil will work.
  7. Dan888 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    "08" TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I got them out ! Kroil, perseverance and patience did the trick. Ran them in and out and sprayed inside the holes i drilled a few times each day. Never twisting the bolt toooo hard. The gummed up threads on the bolts pulled some aluminum out with them, but I ran an 8mm tap down and cleaned everything up. The bolts go in and out pretty welll now. Planning on putting new ones in there, possibly stainless. Also plan to pull them out occasionally and check and lube/anitisieze them up . Now to look up how to press out swing arm pivot bearings..I've got the swingarm off and the needle bearings on one side are pretty cruddy. Thanks, for the help guys.
  8. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
  9. jetmani Husqvarna
    AA Class

One of my bolts broke as well, ended up welding a nut to what was left of the broken stud, come out easy.
    Then re tap and plenty of anti seize.
    268fords likes this.