Considering a Te 610 '07 vs '08

Discussion in '610/630' started by Ron West, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Ron West Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NX250, & 2000 Africa Twin
    I know a carb will always be more reliable and easier to fix away from the garage, but it seems like prices I've seen from an '08 are about the same as a '07 or '06. So, those of you in the know, is there a major reason to go with one over the other? I was originally worried about high altitude performance, but I've had my stock '07 te250 up to 11K feet and it still ran! What about gas mileage and tank range. If there is a major difference that might tip the scales for me.

thanks!
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I bought an 08 new, I never had any problems but sold it to get an 07 for the carb reliablity and tank choices. The EFI bikes get better mileage that the stock carbed bikes. I now have the best of both worlds though after installing a Lectron carb. I get the same mileage with the simplicity of a carb. Great performance too. :)
    rancher1 likes this.
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I agree with xcuvator, I like the tank choices for the 2006/2007 models.
  4. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    what tank choices are that?
    I thought the Safari tanks were only for EFI bikes?
  5. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    There is an IMS 5 gal tank for 06-07 carb bikes for $250, and a Safari 6.6 gal tank for the 08-11 EFI bikes for a whopping $640. I don't know of any other tanks? I've had nothing but leaking problems with the Safari tank around the fuel pump area - I've heard its better on the 630, which has the fuel pump mounted higher up. Also, IMHO 6.6 gallons is overkill, I wish there was a 5 gallon option for my bike. That said, I have no regrets getting the 2008. I haven't seen any reliability issues - so far the engine itself has been reliable and low maintenance.
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Halls had 2 different sizes made by IMS and they were both available in black or translucent, so that is 4 choices.
  7. Ron West Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    " Lectron carb." Never heard of it. What kind of mileage are you averaging?
    Thanks, sounds like an '07 would the way to go. I like the 630's but they are rare and quite a bit more expensive. I'd rather spend the money on the trip than the bike.
  8. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Grandia, EricV and Spice Weasel like this.
  9. Ron West Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well that settles it , now I'm just down to price. Thanks great read.
  10. MrBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    You won't be disappointed with the FI 610. I've never had a hiccup with mine and I've put over 7k on it. I ride mine to work a lot and I love just being able to start it up and go right away. My previous bikes I always had to choke it and wait for at least a few minutes for it to run right...come to think of it, the FI 610 has a hot start lever and I've NEVER had to use it...only 1 or 2 times out of curiosity to see if it actually did anything.
  11. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Regardless of how easy a bike starts it is always best to let the engine warm a bit before riding.
    Your engine/trans will perform better and live a longer happier life.:)
  12. MrBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    Agreed. I probably could've worded it better...I don't mean to say you should just start the bike and take off. I guess my point was there is no fussing with a FI bike. It corrects the fueling for most any situation, whereas a carb has its limits. I've had bikes that are still warm need a half/full choke under certain weather or geographical conditions. Maybe you can call that jetting that's slightly off but again, FI won't have that issue.
  13. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    My FI 610 was just the way you describe and the Lectron equipped 610 I now have is very similar.
  14. sumbike Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650 Sold
    I have an '08 FI, never needs any attention runs well at all elevations I have been to, up to 11,000 feet.