1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Cone Pipe Building Question

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by CagivaWMX, Nov 5, 2011.

1. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a pipe I want to rebuild on my '84 Cagiva 125. I have a few stock pipes and the metal is so old and brittle they keep falling apart. I'd like to make an attempt at building my own cone pipe if I could find a supplier of cones.

I've contacted most of the vintage and mx exhaust companies and they've either been no help or want big money..which I understand. Dynoport did offer to sell me a left side pipe cone kit.

Does anyone know where the pipe companies get their cones or what other industry uses these type of pieces?

I'm not so concerned about performance but want to be able to have something that looks good and is sturdy and won't fall apart.
  2. cheko7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85 500CR 94 250WR 04 125CR 10 300WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva WMX 250 88 2/89WMX125s
    Hay WMX good name great bike I had a pipe made for my 250 it cost 500 buks but wot can u do learn how to oxy or tig weld and buy a small metal rolla I've replaced parts of mine on my old cr 125 I'd love 2 have a go at making a full pipe very time consuming in aus we call it lobster back
  3. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

4. cheko7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    give them an old pipe ask them if they can copy it to go from 125cc to 144cc its recamended to change pipe . Iwant to put a pipe on my 300 but no body makes one my dealer said that a 250 pipe works ive used crc pipes on my 125s but thay dont make apipe for the 250 or 300 ill be puling the pipe of my wmx250 today i hope il up load some pics is pritty fat
  5. SA63 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 510, 500 auto , 86 510
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

my first attempt at pipe building... I used a cheap roller ($100) off ebay , but you dont have to have one, it just makes things easier and quicker.
    My old pipe was flattened, and i was going patch again, but decided to have a go at the whole pipe .

I used 1.1 mm sheet metal. use a formula for the cone or make a template, make it too big and trim it down, i used a 14" cut off saw or drop saw with the abrasive blade to "sand " the sections flat once rolled . I used a 5" grinder with a 1mm blade for cutting work.
    the cone making is easier than you think.. have a go!

As for welding, the better the fit (smaller the gap) the easier it is. I tigged mine, but some people prefer oxy.
  6. cheko7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    good stuff sa look awesum:thumbsup:ill have to have a go at it soon
  7. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

looks great...is that Maico a 430?
  8. topari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Would you be so kind and show me what the roller looks like ?
    Thanks for posting.
  9. SA63 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 510, 500 auto , 86 510