Concerned about our Aussie friends

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by jerbear610, Feb 8, 2009.

1. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    I know we have quite a few Aussie members here
    at Cafe Husky and I've been reading various headlines
    about the fire going on there. Being born and raised in
    California, we've had our share of fires especially in
    So.Cal lately and it can be devistating.
    Hope everyone is safe and sound over there.
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

Yep, I was just thinking about that, too. There were some pretty terrifying photos in the paper this morning. After having been here for the Oakland Hills Fire years ago, I always read these stories with a bit of fear and trepidation.

WoodsChick
  3. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Drought and fires in some areas and incredible flooding in others. Just last week I saw that they received almost 29" of rain in 48 hours :eek: around Brisbane. That's freakin' wild considering we get about 48" annually here in Vancouver and it's basically a rain forest.

Read a book on climate change a few years back called "Hell and High Water". Looks like it's coming true with all these fires and floods like we've never seen before. Earth is a crazy place these days in so many ways.
  4. Mercury264 Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1

Hope everyone is safe.

Sorry to hear about the victims of the fires. Terribly sad news.
  5. Zim Husqvarna
    A Class

I am 1000k north in Sydney so was well out of it,thanks for the supore to my countrymen,it was very ugly,46.2C,hotest day since records were kept,117F,and big winds,nothing could have stopped it.We are very experianced with Fire but this was in a completely differant league.
  6. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    There is a full page story about Fires in paper today. It's very sad. I hope it all ends soon.
  7. Seahorse Husqvarna
    AA Class

Guys....Australia is in a state of shock at the moment. As I write, the death toll is 131 and is expected to rise significantly.

The State of Victoria is the worst affected area, the situation is far from being contained.

Some of the stories being reported are truely harrowing and enough to bring you to tears. As a country that is used to natural disasters this fire has taken things to a whole new level.

Emergency services and hospitals are stretched to the limit containing the fires and tending to the injured.

Your concern and thoughts at this time are appreciated.
  8. Mercury264 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Small world - I have relatives in Newcastle.

Great country, great people who I know will get through this and may the arsonists burn in hell for what they did.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.
  9. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

My prayers to all those effected by this disaster.

Was it really arsonist's that started this?? :censored:
    Hope they're caught & pay for their crime with interest. So much damage & so many innocent lives lost.
  10. Seahorse Husqvarna
    AA Class

173 now confirmed dead, with the final count expected to exceed 200.!

Burnt areas have been classified as "Crime Scenes".

2 people arrested in Sydney.
  11. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Thanks for your support in these hard times Cafe Husky regulars, My thoughts & prayers are with the people of Victoria, My family lives down there, STILL!! My home for 23 years, it is abomindble of the mother f:censored: who started these fires.
    It is truly HORRENDOUS I have never seen anything like it. It leaves the fires of 1939 for dead.
    I live in Cairns which is in Far North Queensland, 3500 klm North, luckily we have only been flooded with water.
    We may be water logged but our hearts & prayers are with those who have lost EVERYTHING in Victoria. Fires are so unforgiving & brutal, we in QLD should be SOO SO thankful that we are just soggy bottom boys & girls & still alive!! At least we are drying out not all gone in a puff of arsonists smoke!!
    I just wish we could send some of the 2345 mm of rain we had over the weekend to where it is truly needed!
    Just 3500 klm apart & the bloody fires keep burning.
    Bloody El Nino Effect - Hotter & wetter thats for sure!!
    So true & so sad.................................................................................................................................
  12. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    I hope that they set these buggers on fire to teach them a lesson in fire management.....
    ABSOLUTE MORONS!!
  13. Tardo Husqvarna
    B Class

14. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175

My heart goes out to everyone there and also for the animals.

Back in 2003 we had over 2400 Forest Fire in BC. Some that were closer to home we had to interface with the forest district. While in the hills around town I did get to see a lot of wild life.
    But never once did I try a "Feed the Bears"
    (My attempted to enlighten a sad situation)
  15. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    I just read the latest report where they're estimating as many as
    300 victims and reported that half the homes in a small town,
    Marysville I think was, were lost. It sickens me to hear that these
    fires were started deliberetly. I think the Prime Minister was calling
    it mass murder. At least they caught the guys who did it. Hope they
    fry em', no pun intended. My prayers go out to all affected by this
    tragedy. Jerry
  16. Nick Mac. Husqvarna
    B Class

We are Australian..We WILL get through this and we will become a stronger nation After all is said and done. We have raised over $50. million i just a few days of collection. The people of Australia and those from other nations will continue to donate for this cause untill we are rebuilt. We have stories of people who survived firestorm by crawling into a " Wombat Burrow". Kids who have pulled families to safety with little tractors whilst flames have soared around them,Then ,Sadly we hear too that Looters are running rife. ( nothing a 7.62 round wont solve) .Up north we have much flooding but this will help kick in the regrowth of many years drought....I personally have friends in 2 locations in amognst the fires and coming from NTH QLD, many friends swimming in flooded towns. In times like this we come to remember just how much families and friends mean to us all. many tears have been shed in our household for the people affected by the fires, more so than the floods as that is part and parcel of Far NTH QLD. I'm sure I can speak for the majority of Australians when I say that "we thank you for your Prayers and the concern of our friends around the world." :thumbsup:
  17. Tardo Husqvarna
    B Class

Well said Nick
  18. dags Husqvarna
    B Class

19. Pete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE300
    When IVed the fire fighter told reporter this happened a few days before the big fires during a back burn...

I live 40min away and its was a horrendous day here. 47 Celsius, 80-10kmh winds....quite scary. I know most of those town well, including Marysville (which is now totally obliterated) was there twice last year on riding trips, always stop at their bakery for pies etc This fire was deliberately lit, 99% of buildings gone, 1 in 5 townsfolk dead/missing...its took around 20min to vaporise the town...just one of 30 fires that day.

Bunyip/Labertouche is our riding backyard, its wiped out now, wont be riding there for a long time. Because of poor management (no burns for years) there was too much fuel (we all knew this for a long time) and it burn too hot an ruined the trees an the ground...other forest we know, Big River, have a metre (yard, or 3 feet) of super dry packed fuel on the forest floor for miles and miles...we have more fires to come yet.

Some are saying 300+ deaths, so far its officially 181, but police have confirmed they have found more dead people...will be 3rd or 4th worst ever bush fires...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...toll#Top_10_deadliest_wildfires_and_bushfires
  20. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    That is so terrible. Sounds much worse than the fires we have had in Southern California.:(