1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Compression test for 1973 250

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Gord, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

I recently did a compression test on my 73 250. Warm engine, full throttle and 8 kicks produced around 140 pounds. Is this acceptable? I searched the (search) option, but didn't come up with actual numbers, just that it should be done, and how to do it. Bike starts well cold. but not as well after it's warmed up.
    Thanks for any opinions.
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I would expect to find 150psi so 140psi would account for some ring leakage. But nothing to worry about. More of concern would be piston slap from the skirt of the piston being worn excessively.
  3. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks,
    Piston and bore don't have too much time on them, and what they do have is by me and intermediate at best. A couple races at Unadilla, a couple at Ormstown, a couple NETRA events, a couple ACR events and my own property loop trail. It feels like I'm racing, until I get passed. Then it feels like I'm not in the same race anymore.
    Forrest Stahl did the cylinder and piston.
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    It feels like I'm racing, until I get passed. Then it feels like I'm not in the same race anymore.

that's how I race;) first person to last place is a winner in my book...its about being there to a degree. lots of punters watching wishing they were riding but cant wont etc...we are the lucky ones in my book. enjoy. if you want to win you have to do the following...

1. hold throttle on longer in each gear
    2. brake later at each corner

works for the winners:thumbsup:
    justintendo likes this.