1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

compression damping changes 84 wr forks

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by suprize, Dec 29, 2018.

1. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Looking to reduce the compression damping but maintain the rebound with 15wt oil.

which holes should i open up a tad? there are 3 on one side and 1 on the other? is it that simple?

any advice gratefully accepted ( im considering a set of 88's) 20181230_162011.jpg
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The 3 large holes need to be opened but work up to what you desire gradually so you do not need to weld to increase the rebound. Use a drill to find a fitting size, then drill the holes the next smallest larger increment.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    cool, ill have a look at my drill set...0.5mm increments..too much do you think?
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Try opening just one hole in each rod. If not enough change open one more on each rod.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    good plan...
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    One thing that would help is an number set. Increments are smaller (.1mm). You can also try mixing 50/50 15w & 10w to get 12.5w. That will affect the compression far more than the rebound.
  7. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    Before you do this, make sure that your forks were running parallel! If they were pulled in at the bottom, this would make them feel stiffer as they go lower in the stroke (plus it will damage them). It is not very often at all that husky forks of this era are over damped or over sprung - which is why I mention this....

Andy.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    thanks Andy but thats first cab off the rank for me (fell for it in 85 wont fall for it again.) you can see where the PO has fallen for it as well!. i really like the rebound at 15 but it is a bit stiff and stuttery on the compression for me. i hit a rock recently and it ripped the grips out of my hands and punted me over the bars and i felt it was something the bike would have gone over with less compression damping which has led me down this path. i have just decided that 12.5 is worth trying before butchery! thanks all for the advice
  9. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
  10. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    XC250 83', WR250 87','XC150 10
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Hi Surprize,
    Are you doing springs as well, ie both front and rear to ensure it is suitable for your weight. Once this is correct then move onto damping issues. fronts really need 0.44/ 0.42 standard are 0.36/38 Racetech do some FRSP44. Jan in Sydney.

In the day they also used to cut the spring and insert a solid plastic sleeve which essentially reduced suspension travel but stiffened / firmed up the ride. their are some threads on here about that. Need to be careful and just remove (I think) 100mm of spring and then ensure 3-4 mm of pretension on spring when reinstalling. This in itself will improve resistance to bottoming or compression dampening.

I am no expert but spent a lot of time looking at mine 83 XC 250, and I had another set I bought as well that were disc brakes legs and one set had the holes neatly chamfered to reduce pressure loss, and the other was standard. I pretty well determined that the hole size or number did not matter as flow thru top of tube was probably biggest resistance, if my memory serves me correct.

Colin H has fitted emulators to his 84 and reckons they work a treat in altering dampening. YSS in SA list as does racetech thru the suspension guy in ballarat.

I have just got a WR 250 1987 so starting on this now, it has altered dampening rod to earlier models, but also badly needs springs.

Regards,

mark
  11. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    303341_1085_husky-products-001.jpg
    303341_1131_husky-products-003.jpg

for front forks 40 mm
    (my friend in FRANCE)
    original HUSQVARNA factory
  12. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Thats what i need.... How much Claude !. its too much comp and im a lightweight at 83Kgs so im happy with the springs but the comp is too harsh with 15 wt.. like those top out springs...