1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Cold Starting.. and the choke

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by teknic, Nov 12, 2014.

1. teknic Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 SM510R
    Hello,

2009 SMR510, its getting colder here and I'm having trouble starting the bike. I've noticed that the choke is impossible to pull on when starting the bike because the clutch needs to be pulled in while starting, the e-start button is on the other handlebar... I only have two hands, how am I supposed to reach the choke? For the past two days I've been cranking up the idle screw and then starting it... backing it off as she warms up.

What do people normally do here? The choke knob on my bike doesn't stay pulled out, you have to hold it open the entire time, is this normal for this year? Anyone else have cold start issues?

Cheers,
  2. Tim Randall Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr125 / WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Clothes peg :)
    Clip it under the choke while its on then clip it on the fuel line when your not using it ;)
    PawPaw and OlderHuskyRider like this.
  3. teknic Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 SM510R
    HA! Didn't see that one coming...

On another note, I'm thinking of getting a silicone heating pad and putting it on the oil pan, along with a timer that turns it on 2 hours before I ride every morning... just need to find one small enough for the 2.5 x 2.5 inches of space Husky gave me.
    Centerline likes this.
  4. Centerline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Fat Bob, Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
    I put this little ceramic space heater under the bike on our few frigid nights in Texas when planning to ride later. image.jpg
  5. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Get her into your room and put a blanket so she stays warm LOL
  6. teknic Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 SM510R
    I ended up purchasing a ProHeat heating pad and attached it to the bottom of my oil pan. I went with a 2x3 which seems small but works well. I have it on a timer, turns on 2 hours before I ride in the morning, and the bike starts up like its summer.