1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC COLD 2017 issues, Blown suspension, poor starting

Discussion in '4st' started by R. Stephen, Jan 8, 2018.

1. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

SO I've had my 2017 FX450 now for a year. it's been a busy year so only 16hrs on the bike. Ice riding has been a bear of a time. The bike never will start cold with out a jump start, even then hard to start. Bike is basically stock except Akro map and opened up the air box.

However the big issue is the garbage WP suspension. I weigh 175 lbs with gear and last weekend riding in single digit temps I blew the forks and rear shock. Forks sink into the travel when aired up and with low air pressure they actively contract. (I believe they have air on the wrong side of the pressure piston to make that happen) Unusable none the less. The rear shock has zero damping and puked out all the fluid.

Super bummed I've own 20+ huskys in the past 10 years, with minimal issues. This one has now cost me $2k for new suspension just so I could ride this weekend. Ice racing season is short and no time to sit on the side lines. oh yeah and a bum clutch slave cylinder to boot.

Anyone seen these issues?
    Any suggestions or experiences would help?

Blown out look................
    2018-01-01 15.49.18.jpg

Fresh parts and empty bank account.
    2018-01-07 13.26.57.jpg
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    YIKES! So do you think the seals shrunk in the cold? Not one to ride in those temps myself, but wow!
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Nice looking bike! I've had fears of air forks and electric start letting me down out in the middle of nowhere, at least you were close to the truck on flat ice and not on the other side of a mountain.
    Motosportz likes this.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Larger lithium battery (more cranking amps) and larger battery leads all the way tot he starter really help. I'm not a lover of WP suspension. I think the quality and design have a lot to be desired. And no thank you on air forks.
  5. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
    I personally don't like the air forks because of what you experience. However spending $2000 on new suspension wasn't the bike or brand's fault. You could have saved a lot just rebuilding what you had. Sounds like a good reason to upgrade then call POS suspension. What did you get???

Can the Li battery for cold weather (below 40*f) use!
  6. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Huskynoobee, we will see. my fear is dis similar material shrink at different rates and I may have been at the limit of the equipment's potential working range. I'm not sure what is inside the cartridges.

Weantright, I bought the exact same thing new take off air forks and a new take off rear shock just to race over the weekend, that was faster than getting these rebuilt with parts availability and tear down time.

MotosportZ do you know of any better batteries available yet? I checked with Shorai no luck.

I work in the OEM design side of the power sports industry and we test all our products to -40F, guess I was hoping everyone else did. I completely get it shit happens if it was just the forks or just the shock but both was surprising to me.
  7. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trenchcoat85, lankydoug and pvduke like this.
  8. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
    Need traditional acid/AGM battery for the winter. Cheapest and the most reliable for the cold.
  9. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just a heads up, I threw enough stink Husqvarna did a "good will" claim and they are fixing the fork and blown shock. I purchased a brand new 2017 FC450 shock with 0 hrs on it and blew that one out too in two rides, After talking with the local suspension shop they have been rebuilding KTM and Husky shocks like crazy all with low hours. SKF makes an updated seal head for them and hopefully that will be the long term fix. Fingers crossed..............

Until then the ice racing must go on!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de8dvnittX0&t=42s
    lankydoug, Johnrg, pvduke and 2 others like this.
  10. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Cold weather sucks....i have a set of 2018 explorer forks for sale that are new....(well 90 miles on bike mostly dirt road) pm me if you want to trade or sell a pair of your air forks....i know a guy in mn the same thing happened to ....cold weather thing I guess...i have 51 hours on my 17 tc and the air forks been great and so has the shock...at least husky stepped up...im putting air forks on my 18 te just for a weight savings
    robertaccio likes this.
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    that was a really fun watch that could be addicting 2g's for suspension YEESH that's is a LOT in MHO. i really like the air stuff go figure. busted/sluggish/wonky parts on an full-on pro ice racer is not uncommon. mega extreme cold n heat do stuff big time. only suggestion i have is tenting the whole bike w/ forced warm air just like they do air plane engines. if thats not an option heat pads are pretty cheap some are magnetic warmer = better. racers edge = no stone un-turned right?
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    What company makes those giant mittens that go over the levers and all ?
  13. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Moose makes some, also Hippo hands and maybe enduro engineering.
    lankydoug likes this.
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Thanks man I'll have a look, I just went through 2 sets of Honda OEM heated grips on my Gold Wing F6B. Both sets lasted less than 5 minutes and then went cold. I rarely ride street bikes in cold weather but thought they would be nice to have. After the BS crappy Honda grips I thought I could get some of those for the rare ride and also use them on my dirt bikes and utility ATV in cold weather. They look like they'd be easy to transfer from one bike to another.
  15. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    lankydoug likes this.
  16. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    bar muffs are great better than thick gloves fer sure....mreeep!