Clutch slippage

Discussion in 'TR650' started by risinqsun, Sep 26, 2017.

1. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Hey guys,

my Terra is now at around 36000km (22000 miles) and on the last trip with girl and luggage, my clutch started slipping at higher rpms. The time before, I rode a little slower with less hard acceleration, so the problem might have been there for a little lower or it came slowly.

I now tested it and even without luggage and girl, it slips when hitting some power outputting rpms. I checked my clutch arm position and the lever adjustment, all is good.

Oil is the Castrol Power 1 Racing 10W-50 which is recommended in the user manual. The oil is around 5-6000km old (3-4000 miles) old, but only from this march.

Any suggestions?
    As far as I heard, the discs should be more stable regarding longevity.

Greetings from germany,

Flo
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Hey Flo, mine slipped like that with that expensive recommended oil and it would slip and catch then catch, under load in high gear. I went to the castrol synth blend and have not had it slip with that oil. Since then have added a recluse clutch and no issues.
  3. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Mine started doing exactly the same and with various oils.

I stripped it down (easy job and no need to drain the oil) and found the plates 2,3 and 4 to have 'blued' due to heat when slipping.
    I set about cleaning it all up with fine emery paper and reassembled the clutch. It worked but only for about 1500 km when it started slipping again.
    I tried swapping the washers over to increase spring pressure etc, but it still was not good.
    Finding that there are plenty of cheap clutch friction plate kits on eBay for around $60, I bought one but I was still not so happy with the first results.

In my opinion the stock clutch springs are way too soft.

I bought a $10 Heavy Duty spring kit from EBC (CSK104) and put them in with the cheapo clutch lining. With the new springs the lever feels twice as strong to pull but it is still ok even in heavy traffic.

Looking at the stock linings I think that just swapping the springs would have cured the original problem because they are not badly worn, but the friction lining kit was cheap enough and easy to replace.

Now everything is perfect, no slippage and no problems at all.
    wferrari likes this.
  4. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    I readjusted my clutch free play. Because the preowner installed other levers which could not be adjusted themselves, I wasn't able to operate clutch with two fingers (with the right clutch play) because the lever was hitting my fingers that remained on the grip. I carefully bent the lever, now it's perfect. In the future, I'll get some decent aftermarket levers.

Bike is running without any slipping since 3000 kms...
  5. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Sorry for bumping this thread, but I want to vouch for the EBC heavy duty springs as well. The lever is a little harder but still absolutely comfortable. Slippage is obviously totally gone. I would categorize it as "mandatory upgrade". I was also going to replace the clutch disks with the EBC ones, but it was clear they were still in fine shape.

Have to point out that I also replaced some Bardhal oil that was used for some reason at the official Husqvarna service center with the manufacturer suggested Motul 7100. The change of gear is much smoother now too.
  6. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Any parts number or something? Thanks for sharing :-)
  7. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Part is EBC CSK104, the same pointed out by Mark_H in the previous message. The clutch disks are EBC CK5635, they are not installed yet, but I bet that they'll work fine.
    kiwiape likes this.
  8. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Mine has just started to slip after 34000km, WOT 6000rpm in 3rd, engine rpm flares to 7000. I have ordered CKS104 (found them locally), cheers wferrari for the info.
  9. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Does anyone know the wear limit (if there is such thing) for the clutch plates please? I had quick look through the manual could see it.
  10. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    Can someone give me the torque specs for the clutch springs and side cover? Thanks.
  11. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    spiderman likes this.