1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Clutch Gearing Seat Height issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Dustdevil, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Dustdevil Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE450
    So as to help others, I'm creating this thread to start my process of a few upgrades to the bike in the areas listed in the thread title. For my thread on electrical issues I ran into, go here: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2010-te450-electrical.90385/#post-657721

So, this one I'm starting as a means to document what I'm running into with my TE450 from 2010. It's almost identical to the SWM RS500 in several versions, so some of these experiences may help owners of those bikes also.

Did a very technical trail ride last weekend. Learned this particular bike in stock trim is not particularly well suited for this type of terrain in the areas listed. Gearing on my particular bike is 13/47. We rode a number of rocky streams on this ride, and gearing was much too high. I'm experienced with the clutch, so entering rocky slow sections with too much speed in 1st gear is a minor annoyance, as long as there is a working clutch. Still, I'm buying a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket for these rides, and may go bigger on the rear sprocket as well. First, I'll try it with this one.

As things sometimes go, my engine began to run a bit hot, and the clutch faded a bit from the slave cylinder getting hot. Exacerbated by brake fluid getting hot as well. So, it became a bit more difficult. Add to that, about 3-4 miles in, the clutch went away completely. As in, totally no clutch whatsoever. Coupled with a 1st gear that is a bit high, this means entering some very technical sections a bit too fast, and a greater chance of falling. I fell. Too often. Couldn't simply re-start, because there is no clutch. None. I did fall several times because of too much speed, a few times due to stalling on very tight sections where I let RPM get just a bit too low, and once in a sandy/rocky stream bed where I had to simply drop the trans into gear and run beside the bike while trying to jump on. That failed miserably. Lucky I didn't get hurt. I've ordered an Oberon slave cylinder, and will install, re-fill and bleed accordingly. That problem has a solution.

I also discovered in stark terms that the seat height is fine for non-technical dual sport riding. But it's too high for technical and rocks. If I have a clutch, I can compensate for this issue through skill and aggressiveness, picking places to stop where I can actually reach the ground. I'm 6'-1" tall, with fairly long legs, and this is not a bike I can paddle my way through poor traction areas. Rocks, maybe. But unless I choose to lose some suspension travel in higher speed sections of trails, roads, and washes, I may have to live with the seat height. Haven't decided yet, but I lean toward keeping the suspension where it is. Maybe just a bit more sag would help? I'll have to decide later.

I will update this thread with findings and results as my parts arrive and are included. I have installed the Safari tank, and I had that tank on the bike on our very tight trail ride. Not ideal either, but it was not really much of a factor in any of the difficulty of riding those tight trails. I do recommend that tank, as it's stout, nicely made, well designed, much larger capacity than stock, is for now the only larger capacity option aside from carrying extra fuel in separate strap-on containers, and it solves the problem of worrying about fuel mileage. More later.
    GreekMountains and Dirtdame like this.
  2. Dustdevil Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE450
    BTW, after I got a better look at the bike when I arrived back home, the brake fluid had leaked all around the slave cylinder where it mounts to the engine cases, which drained the reservoir, which introduced air to the system. Piston seal in the slave cylinder must have become so hot it simply gave up completely. That should be fixed after replacement with the Oberon slave cylinder. George Erl has an o-ring solution, but it can't be much better than the stocker, which is also an o-ring. The Oberon has a pressure cup seal on the piston, which is also intended to handle extreme heat. One additional issue I'll be looking into is the cooling fan and upgrades to the cooling system. Not certain the cooling fan is even operating as it should. I'm too old, too busy, and I don't ride enough to justify a new bike. I've ridden and raced bikes much less suited to my riding than this particular one, and there are some things this one does extraordinarily well.
  3. Dustdevil Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE450
    Update July 2023: Oberon slave cylinder arrived and installed. System bled. Works precisely as it should. Quick 2 mile hot lap around the empty field at the end of the road, and all is well with the clutch. I’ll have to test it once again on a longer ride.
    No update on the cooling fan, as it requires removal of the Safari gas tank first. Just haven’t had the time. With the very large tank, the cooling fan cannot be heard. New update when I am able.
  4. GreekMountains Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450 2008 TE410E
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR600 CRF300l(upgraded) susp
    Hi there i have a 2008 TE450 and experience some of the issues you do.

I dropped 1 tooth on the front sprocket and 1 larger on the rear.It means its geared fairly low for the street but at least you can approach technical sections slowly.
    I am thinking of removing 2 of the clutch springs to lighten it up its torture!.
    I am 6ft 2inch and agree that it feels very tall.Statistically it is about the same as many other dirt bikes but feels taller (IMHO) due-
    1/to it wearing its weight high
    2/It is a tall bike
    3/The throttle response off idle contributes to a feeling of slight imbalance
    4/The 450cc gyrometric force is noticeable over a smaller cc bike
    I lowered the footrests and used huge "bear trap"types.I dropped the forks a little in the legs and this helped it turn tighter.I set the sag slightly soft and this drops the rear a fraction when sat on the bike.I do not race on a motox track so there is no problem
    I would like to say that riding this(derestricted) bike is somewhat like riding a wild horse!!,but if you ride it often it becomes more familiar and controllable.With something like an exc250f you can ride them asleep almost!,this beast needs work!
    I would like to put the counter balancer in if it doesnt break the bank and is feasible and hopefully improve the fuel injection.It does seem very reliable and tough!
    I use a couple of different size fuel containers and a modified small rack to the rear occasionally depending on trip/gas stations
  5. Dustdevil Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE450
    The counterbalance shaft would tame the sudden torque a bit. In much the same way a heavier flywheel would do the same. But it’s one of those things that will likely diminish with time as I get used to the bike. This would make a great desert racing sled. As well as a pretty good enduro bike. Too bad I’m not doing desert races any longer. But as a dual sport ride, it’s fine. As long as daily mileage isn’t too long. And a Seat Concepts replacement would solve that.