1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Clutch Engagement/Adjustment Question

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by squid on a 300, Apr 1, 2018.

1. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    Sorry for a dumb question but I want to make sure I understand the operation before I pull the cover and attempt an adjustment...
    79 CR 250...the clutch doesn't engage until almost all the way out at the lever..there is some free play at the bar lever..will the internal free play adjustment give me engagement sooner? If so should I increase the internal free play or decrease?..I'm assuming and increase in free play at the actuator lever on the motor will but want to verify before I remove the cover. Conversely my 72 WR does not fully disengage and drags a little when the lever is fully pulled in decrease internal free play?

thanks
    Bob
  2. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '76MR250 '83IT250 '84 IT490 '69CT70
    If you have freeplay at lever, I don't think the internal mechanism is your issue. Late engagement is usually something worn or incorrectly assembled. I would lay the bike over, pull the clutch cover off and check all components for wear and correct installation order. Things to look for:

1. worn friction plates
    2. ridges or wear areas on the clutch basket fingers (slots on the basket that the friction plates fit into)
    4. Correct number and order of friction and metal plates.
    5. Look at parts fiche and confirm all the parts are there like push rod top hat, washer, bearing, etc.

On your bike that is not fully disengaging, take some free play out at the lever if you can, then adjust internal one. If that does not do it, you may have warped metal discs (they drag), worn clutch basket fingers (drag) worn push rod or worn clutch activator, or something missing in the push rod/bearing assembly.
  3. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I check the free movement at the lever at the case. If it has too much then remove the clutch cover and make the release shaft longer with the setscrew. I adjust the lever so it has around 1/8” to 3/32” movement.
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Here are the first three pages referring to the clutch from of the Husky Shop Manual.

Attached Files:

5. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Next two pages.

Attached Files:

6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Final last page.