Clutch cable rubbing

Discussion in 'TR650' started by eca, Jun 24, 2013.

1. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    Did my first oil change the other day and notised that my clutch cable had been rubbing on the POS clamp. The thin rubber coating on the clamp had worn away and the metal underneath was razor sharp. It had worn through the plastic outer housing on the cable. The pictures show the crap OEM clamp and the clamp I borrowed from work. I'll get around to sealing that cable up soon. 20130621_135827.jpg IMG_20130621_143750.jpg
    . 20130621_135827.jpg IMG_20130621_143750.jpg
    Tazzierob, HARDER1 and nev.. like this.
  2. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Thanks for the warning. I did notice a little wear on my terra and will do something better as you did.
  3. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    Mine looks exactly like that as well. I need to do the same thing..
    There's also a cable that rubs off the sticker on the triple tree down tube...what normally would be a VIN plate. It might be a VIN sticker, I never paid much attention to it until I saw it rubbing off.
  4. TE250Guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KLR 650, Yamaha XT 225
    On my Terra. the tab that surrounds your clutch cable like a clamp does not clamp mine. It goes straight and acts more like a guide. I have no chaffing.
    chris1261 likes this.
  5. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    That is a warranty issue (def. not normal wear and tear)...have the dealer order/install a new one.

I will be checking mine when I get home tonight, thank you!
  6. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada

mine is the same, it's straight across, but there's some slight chafing. i'll tie the cable up out of the way.

--Chris
  7. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    That new clamp looks like it's a winner. I will have to track one down. I've also put some stone protector film where this cable rubs the stickers on the frame.

It might pay to regularly check the clutch cable where it passes the base of the radiator. It's not as bad as the clamp but mine was showing signs of rubbing there too. The edge of the radiator is quite sharp.

[IMG]

We might need to set up a "BOLO Alert" thread for issues such as this one & rotating the oil hose clamp under the overflow tank etc... sort of like a checklist of things to do.
    tweber and chris1261 like this.
  8. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    Me too.....what a bunch of crap......
  9. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    Its a perk of working in the aircraft industry, you get access to some nice hardware. Also with that clamp it restricts the movement of the cable and kinks it pretty good in a sharp right hand turn. As was suggested in this thread earlier the OEM clamp seems to be more of a guide. I have up sized the clamp to allow some movement. The new clamp won't wear near as much and some anti-wear tape on the cable helps it slide.
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Mine is doing ok so far, but yes it is beginning to show slight wear.

However I think I've found a completely separate problem - which if it is a problem, I will start a different thread. Anyway, glad I looked :)
  11. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Thanks for the heads up eca. Mine has started to wear also. Time to think about remedial action.
    eca likes this.
  12. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Ok, here is the question gentlemen. These cable rub throughs are on stock bikes or do you have risers installed?
    Reason being is that this damage appears to cause by steering with a too short of cable.
    If this is happens on stock bikes its a warranty issue. If it happens on riser installed bikes, looks like longer clutch cable is required.

Cheers
  13. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    mine is stock...and rubbing
    chris1261 and Terramack like this.
  14. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Took mine in for the 600 mile service today. There was another at the dealer for the Moss also.

I went over a list of concerns and addressed the cable. Mine is not bad at this point. The other bike was nearing wear through. This was the only other Terra I have seen. What beautiful bikes. Even if it was not mine.

Service manager was also talking about the rear fender breaking. Parts on backorder. Mine is fine for now, and will do the fender mod later. That fender is covered under warranty.

I also took a spare key without rfid chip and having them take a look to see what can be done.

Should get it back tomorrow :p
  15. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    Look at the cables natural route and bend,,improvise from there...
    Coffee likes this.
  16. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    I've found that a routing of cables ,,Throttle and clutch isn't the best,remember these are mass'd produced bikes,,a good rule of thumb is" check it when deliver'd" it'll save you trouble and time..
  17. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Mine is not quite rubbed to the cable, but definitely "vegetable peeled". My bike is completely stock, only has 550 miles, and never off road. Something seems wierd... Mine also has the straight "guide". I'm wondering if mine was peeled on assembly...

After thinking about it more...I'm pretty confident this was an assembly thing. The cable sheath doesn't move normally, so how would it get scraped that far up?

EDIT:

After reading the next posts, I turned the handle bars right, and low and behold, the top end of the scraped area meets exactly at the top of the guide. The cable and sheath was pushed that far down by the turning action. Definitely a wear problem when turning the handle bars.

I'm currently thinking that maybe clamping the cable tightly at an appropriate place will force the cable to move in a different area where the rubbing won't occur. I'm thinking this could be a better option than trying to limit the rubbing? Maybe not... What do you think?

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Dinosan and chris1261 like this.
  18. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Mine looks exactly like hasenfeffer's....right down to the "guide" thingy.
    chris1261 likes this.
  19. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Had time to check mine properly today. It has identical wear pattern to eca posted but just hasn't cut so deep. The plastic on the guide is broken exposing the metal underneath which is obviously giving the cable a shave. The cable only moves when the steering is turned fully to the right, and even then it is only the last few moments of turning which causes my cable to move down, and then immediately resume it's normal position when the steering goes left again. I have 2" risers on, and when the steering is full lock to the left my cable is about as tight as it can possibly go (it is jamming between the frame and the base of the radiator at this position, which is probably why when the steering turns right it only moves at the last moment when the pressure is fully released.
    I don't believe the cable needs to be guided at that point, at least on my bike, because there is not much slack in the cable, so I have just moved the guide so that it doesn't come in contact with the cable at all.
  20. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I edited my previous post with new information.