1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    TE = 2st Enduro & TC = 2st Cross

TE/TC Check your fuel lines!

Discussion in '2st' started by Huskynoobee, May 5, 2017.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    OK '17 2 STROKE owners, I want to share a recent experience with a '17 KTM that should make you go to the garage right away.

I was working pit crew at the recent National Hare n Hound with our club. One of our racers on his brand new KTM 250 came in and told us he ran out of gas on the way in. He has an IMS 3.2 gal tank on a 40 mile loop. So we started looking for the leak. Sho nuf, the line was split right at the petcock outlet. I gently tugged at it and it fell apart. We were going to shorten the line and send him back out, but quickly decided that line wasn't going back on.

I was able to just rip the other end off the carb and removed the clamps and peeled the ends off the barbs. The line had literally deteriorated from the inside out. Post race we found out he uses pump gas. I suspected ethanol was the culprit.

Later this week I was at ZipTy and checked on the lines on Jake Alvarez' 125. They seemed to be just fine, but he runs race gas. I told Ty about my pit fun and he's going to start replacing lines on the team bikes and customer bikes as well.

Bottom line - if you run pump gas with ethanol, go check your fuel lines! Whatever they are using is clearly fine in Europe but do not take our EPA corn gas into consideration.
    NCSteve likes this.
  2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I use the clear blue fuel line on my carburetor bikes. I think it's made by motion pro? Good stuff.
    NCSteve and Huskynoobee like this.
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's what we sent him back on the course with.
  4. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I looked at the fuel line and it says parts unlimited on it.
  5. BSBen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Sherco 2.9
    Might have been the same thing I was seeing in this thread. Weird black gunk that seemed to be the fuel line disintegrating.

I went to clear tubing and race gas at the same time and haven't had an issue since.
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  6. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Hmm... I hate ethanol! My problem is that in California, I cannot get anything but. Well, that's not entirely true, I can get race gas in small batches at Riebes Auto Parts stores, but their lowest octane stuff starts at something like $14 per gallon And it goes up from there as you go higher octane. I'm not spending that much on gas.
  7. Notdoneyet Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 150 2017
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 DRZ 400, 81 HDFXS

There are a few stations that carry no alcohol super around here for about $4 - 4.5 gal. Check this website, there is probably a station close enough that sells it in your area. http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

Edit: I just checked and they only list 21 stations in all of CA????? Oregon lists 247. I guess it must really be strict down there. Maybe try a small local airport?
  8. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I'm confused by the difference between Av Gas and Race Gas. Isn't Av Gas leaded?
    EDIT: and, I've see the pure-gas.org site before. I'm always frustrated when I look at it. For that, and MANY other reasons, I'm currently considering moving out of Cali.
  9. Notdoneyet Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 150 2017
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 DRZ 400, 81 HDFXS
    Most Av Gas is leaded as that is used to raise octane and help with valve wear on older engines.

From WIKI I see there is a grade of Av Gas 91/96UL described as ethanol-free, antioxidant and antistatic additives;]ASTM D7547. 91/96 is the octane rating for lean (cruising) / rich conditions (full power operation), UL stands for unleaded. If you can find some this might be an option.

*Disclaimer: I am not a gas expert so do some research before you actually try it if you have concerns.
  10. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I use AV gas mixed with race and/or pump gas. It's different than pump gas as it is designed to not ice up at altitude.

Interesting side note, I am in Hawaii right now and noticed that it's easy to find non-ethanol gas out here.
  11. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Not many corn fields in Hawaii boss! Haha. Enjoy Hawaii!
  12. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Exactly my thoughts! They haven't figured out how to use sugar cane or pineapple to make gas yet!
  13. bax3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr300 2010

Our ethanol is mainly made from sugar cane in Australia :D
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles: