1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Check your drum springs

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by jo360, Jul 8, 2017.

1. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Just a heads up, had my rear brake lock on going down hill off camber which resulted in a dislocated shoulder and bruised ribs (my shoulder pushed into my rib cage).
    The culprit was a broken shoe spring that jammed the brakes on.
    The spring had some corrosion and was snapped off at the point where it goes through the hole in the shoe.
  2. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics

Jo,
    Hope you recover quickly and can get back to riding very soon. Thank you for reminding the rest of us to keep safety in mind when looking over the worn parts on our vintage bikes.

Marty
    Eurofreak and DaveM like this.
  3. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Put a tad of white brake lube where the spring goes through the hole in the shoe. It's a high temp brake grease we use on the back plates we're the shoes ride on cars, trucks. I lube the cams on dirtbikes too.
    Eric The Leg likes this.
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    oh no, my worst nightmare (injury, not the brakes) hope you mend together ok Jo, not the best site for serious injury:eek:
  5. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    All good, cannot sleep on on left side due to injury or my back due to wife elbowing for snoring.at least the injury is short term.
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Wow! Never heard of this before. Bill's recommendation sounds like a good one I'll be practicing.
  7. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Can't say I've ever lubed as bill describes, but it makes sense. I've certainly seen springs in the past with a wear indent in the described area.
    Thank you for the reminder about the risks of these older bikes. A "Fix to ride" can still mean picking up a lot of new parts.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ive always dabbed a bit of grease on the cam surfaces, but springs are springs. ive seen the holes elongated and the spring hooks worn a bit but ive never heard of them breaking as the shoes are alloy and the springs steel. its usually a one sided fight. but these areas get dirty and hot cold hot cold and are used heaps more than road drums.
  9. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics

While taking apart old Huskys for restoring or parts I have on several wheels over the years seen damage inside the hubs showing signs of broken springs or spring that come loose. You usually see the damage on stiffening ribs that have chipped or broken.

Marty