Changing Dust And Oil Fork Seals, Need Advice

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Rocket_, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Rocket_ Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Hello, so recently my bike started leaking some oil from the left fork. I took it to the dealer but they charge ridiculous prices for labor (not counting the parts). So I kinda wanted to ask for some general advice, precautions or do's and dont's, ect.... before proceeding to buy the parts and doing it myself. Also if you guys could help me find some cheap but good parts (Including suspension oil, i don't even know what type it uses). Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help from anyone.
    ~Cheers
  2. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
  3. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
  4. Rocket_ Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    You know what, I was told the same thing by someone else, I might look into that as well, fork feels fine, no stiff or leaking too much oil. Thank you guys!
  5. Rocket_ Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
  6. Gibster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '84 XR350R
    Oil seal #8539719 $32, dust seal #8539718 $53. The price is each, so with oil about $100 per fork.
  7. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    You may also be able to get non-OEM seals a little cheaper--Check with Halls Cycle, that's where i bough mine a while back. Also, you might buy a pair of these Kriega fork seal covers: https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-fork-seal-covers

Had two bad seals on the same fork, one replaced under warranty, the other I did myself. Since putting the Kriega socks on I've done triple the mileage (on far dirtier terrain) with no fork seal work.
    danketchpel likes this.
  8. Rocket_ Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Thanks, Next ill look into to it..

*Update*
    So I ended up only buying the seals for 1 fork, Costed me around $107 plus the oil, I took it to a shop in Mexico (recommended by a few bikers) and they charged me $40 for the seals and oi replacement, BUT , they told me my Forks (the chrome part) was already damaged and needed to be replaced in a couple months (5-6). So theres that now. Guess that solves the issue for now ill. Hopefully I don't need to buy a whole new suspension. Thanks everyone for the help.
  9. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I had my local motorcycle shop (service and accessories only, no bike sales and not affiliated with any brand) replace a leaking fork seal on my Terra about 12 months ago. He just used after-market seals made for 46mm Yamaha fork. I can't recall whether he replaced the dust cap or refitted the OEM.
  10. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    You should be fine with reusing the dust caps. Some fork socks are definitely a better investment than new dust covers.
  11. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    It would sure be good to know what Yamaha fork that seal came from. Any way you can find out from him?
  12. Martinehijo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada 2013
    Hi Rocket, I live close to Mexico City do you have more information about the shop?
  13. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    Be careful on the fork seal covers. If you don't clean them out frequently the dirt that gets trapped in the seal cover starts to act like an abrasive and wears on the sliding tubes. A few guys that used them on Stelvios for longer periods had fork tube wear from not cleaning them.

Personally I think I'd only use them if I was looking at some really muddy conditions. I have a set I bought for my Stelvio but don't use them much out here in the very dry west.
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Unless the damage on the sliders is really deep they can be sanded down and made to look like brand new. This is part of the normal service we do at Zip-Ty. Not pushing our service, it's just important you know the "industry standard" so you don't drop a bunch of money into something you might not need. Plus, if they are that bad, then the seals will start to weep pretty soon in the same spot and you should be able to easily see the damage if you put the bike on a stand that allows the forks to drop all the way down.