1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Chain recommendations for '82 430 XC

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Oldsmobuble, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Oldsmobuble Husqvarna
    C Class

This project bike came without a chain. I just it back together and am hoping one of you knowledgeable folks could tell me what size chain, and how many links. Back sprocket is 56 teeth, and front is 13 or 14? Thanks in advance. This bike will be for sale as soon as I get the chain on it. mojorules@gmail.com

Dean
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    It is a 520 chain that means five eighths inch pin to pin and two eighths thick sprockets. If you see a third digit it often references the roller diameter being other than "normal". No industrial equivelant for that one though an industrial 50 would sort of work just 3 eights wide sprockets. I generally either buy a new length 120 links long and cut it as needed. I like rivet on master links. In the past I have just used used chains with master links and cutting as needed. Exactly how high quality you want to go effects the choice. Chances a normal used dirt bike chain with say a 48 or so rear sprocket wouldn't be long enough. Generally it is best to replace the chain and the sprockets at the same time. 56 is pretty big unless there is some logic to it.

Are you sort of looking to buy some chain or sort of trying to sell the bike?
  3. Oldsmobuble Husqvarna
    C Class

The sprockets are in decent shape. My guess is that the chain was rusted and the previous owner removed. I don't know why the bike has a 56 tooth sprocket or that it wasn't stock. So you're saying that a 48 tooth is stock? And yes I'm selling the bike but will put a o-ring chain on it.
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I am saying 48 is kind of average for modern bikes which you could get a used one from real cheap. With some effort you could find out what it came with in the reference section here. Just guessing 53 or so would be origional. Not sure how much it really matters but let's say you have a 14 front then you don't want to use a 56 rear because 14 times four equals 56. I have looked through origional ratios and that didn't happen from what I saw.
  5. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    The bikes had really tall gearing inside the engine, so they used a really low sprocket ratio, like 13/53. 13's don't last very long so it was pretty common for guys to go to a 56 rear and up to a 14 in front for a little better wear. The ratios are very similar (4.07 vs 4).