Chain Cleaning

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Huskynoobee, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    So I know there's chain lube threads a plenty. What are y'all using to get the lube and dirt off? Back in the day before O ring chains started finding their way onto dirt bikes, I'd whip the thing off and dump it in a pan with gas and brush off the nasties.

Obviously O rings don't like that treatment. I've used Simple Green and similar cleaners and those 3 side brushes to scrub em down while on the bike. It works OK and I get lots of miles out of them, but wanted to start discussing this.

AND...GO!
  2. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I used Bel Ray chain cleaner once. Sort of useless unless on a well brush cleaned chain first, especially if the chain has any clay embedded. The clay here is so tenacious I had to clean the chain with a brush and soap after using the chain cleaner. I only used the stuff since I got it by mistake and wanted to see if indeed it would shed the chain of dirt and gunk. No dice. Soap, water, brush and maybe I'll just use trusty Boeshield and a rag, then spray with a fresh coat of Bel Ray Super Clean.
  3. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Duck smart earth mover then boil in the pan chain wax. Same treatment non o ring or not.
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Us Yanks don't get that fancy stuff here. How long does a tub of that stuff last Juicy?
  5. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Dunno never gotten through it in 2 years probably 15-20x use a year.
    I use it on my trials bike and two other bikes.
  6. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Heavy soaking of WD40 hit it with the pressure washer at an angle not to close to chain then plenty of maxima synthetic chain lube. Let the maxima sit and it get gummy and doesn't fly off the chain. Use it on my dirt and street bikes..good stuff
    juicypips likes this.
  7. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I spray the chain and a bunch of other parts with CRC HD Silicone after every ride. It cleans and lubes o/x-rings chains well. At least every tire change I soak and brush the chain with B100 biodiesel which is a great cleaner and solvent. The original chain from my 2013 WR300 is still in great shape.
    I was looking for a less toxic, cheaper way to clean and lube and this is working for me.
    :cheers:
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I like that idea Steve!
  9. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Thanks. The only catch so far is after about 2 hours of WFO riding the chain gets pretty dry. I thinks it's just superficial though, because my chains are lasting well.
    PB Blaster silicone is thicker and stickier, but doesn't clean as well. Both are @ $3.99 at Lowe's and auto parts places.
    I'm going with grooved sprockets next and I think they will clean up even better with this method.
    I've been using the same gallon of biodiesel for 2 years. I store it in a used oil jug and all the dirt settles to the bottom. It's a great cleaner, but will eat latex and natural rubber.
  10. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sounds good for a thorough clean though.
  11. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Ooops, got it backwards :rolleyes: Blaster Industrial Silicone is thinner and cleans better, CRC HD Silicone is thicker and stickier. It's really dry here and noticed today the dust cleans off easily, chain and sprockets clean and lubed and ready to go again and only takes a few minutes.:cheers: