1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

can i do that

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by troy deck, Mar 13, 2016.

1. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    i was lookin at the ol WR yesterday and i think i can turn the head 180 degrees and put the water outlet to the front left instead of to the back right this will let me tidy up the hoses and make for ezr plug access anybuddy ever try this or know a reason why it wont work? and dose anybuddy have a way stiffer shock spring laying around forks to maybe how long of a preload spacer can i put in there?
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    if there are no head mounted frame stays and the waterways are symetrical i cant see a reason why not, after all a dome combustion chambers round so no change in combustion profile.

Unless someone else comes along with another suggestion.
  3. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The holes in head gasket are not symetrical ( front vs rear) but let's try !
  4. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I've checked the shape of head seems not to be symetrical ( rear/front).
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    wonder if you could recut the head?
  6. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Best is to weld the water outlet at another place !
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thats not going to be as clean, have you got any pictures troy?
    And i mean the combustion chambers not faced they tend to be symetrical.

Do the bolt holes line up its not a 5 stud or something that rules the test completly dead in the water.
  8. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    NO LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN JUST TURN IT:excuseme:
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well if its got the water paths in the same way and not shutting them off, and the bolt patterns the same with head on reverse.
    I would be trying it just now.

I mean if it was a bad idea future troy would come back and tell you not to do it right?
    justintendo and troy deck like this.
  10. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    well Rick Horvat said that he was thinking that the hose fitting was in the front left and that water comes out the top of the radiators down right on top of the exhaust port and out the back of the jug WTH anybuddy know the coolant path turning the head seems like the way to go but the pump sucking water from the top of the rads seems way wrong if not impossible far as i know every cooling system i'v ever dealt with [ on cars] the pump draws from the bottom of the rads the parts fiche shows it like it is BUT i have had factory husky drawings be WRONG just one gear in a 79 WR trans but it sure locked up tight before the case halves touch :excuseme:
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    all the engines i have show the fitting at the right rear..including one i know has never been off from the factory..
    juicypips likes this.
  12. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    YES I KNOW BUT BUT CAN I TURN IT SO ITS TOO THE FRONT LEFT?? GUESS ILL FIGURE IT OUT FOR MY SELF NEXT TIME I HAVE IT APART
  13. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    My '85 came with the stock radiator hoses missing and generic radiator hoses hooked up backwards (pumping out from the bottom of the cylinder in to the bottom of the radiators). I'm not sure how much it was run like that, but it clearly had been run at-least a bit, and the cylinder seems to be in decent shape (Admittedly, I haven't gotten it out on the trail yet, so that is still a bit speculative). This setup doesn't make any sense though, heat wants to rise, so pulling hot water from the bottom of the cylinder and pumping it into the bottom of the radiator seems ineffective.

Not sure what that has to do with turning the head round 180 degrees though.
  14. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    No and here's why...
    Backwards with bolt pattern lined up
    image.jpg
    Not the greatest pic but head wouldn't seal and that's only one of many reasons.
    Since I have the head and cylinder sitting around if ya have any other questions let me know
    juicypips likes this.
  15. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    hmmmmm well i still think that nipple needs to move can you find a reason for a little hose reroute so we'r not trying to push water up a radiator
  16. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Anything 'can be done' with enough machinist time. That would be pretty expensive though, and I'm still not entirely clear what you're trying to accomplish here.

Early on you mentioned 'easier plug access'. For the amount of time and expense you could put into this project, I'm sure you could come up with a tool or process for accessing your plug that doesn't mess with your cylinder.
  17. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    IM NOT SAYING THE STOCK SETUP DOESN'T WORK JUST FINE BUT IT SURE AS HELL SEEMS BAS ACKWADRS TO ME DON'T YOU AGREE WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT GRAVITY TO WORK FOR YOU AND COOLANT RUN FREELY DOWN TO THE PUMP THEN PUSH IT UP THOUGH THE SYSTEM [HEAT STILL RISES RIGHT OR DID THEY CHANGE THAT ] THEN FALL AS IT COOLS DOWN THROUGH THE RADS AND TO THE PUMP IF IT WAS REVERSED YOU COULD SHORTEN SOME HOSES AT THE VERY LEAST IT MITE HAVE WORKED BETTER AND BEEN ABLE TO HAVE A SMALLER LIGHTER SYSTEM WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS I KNOW IM JUST NOT RIGHT[LOL] BUT AM I WRONG??
  18. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Umm troy they changed thermal dynamics in 89 i thought a few memo's went missing.(joking)

On a side note if your bikes got a pump im fairly sure hot or cold water is going to be forced anywich way the pump pushes it too.
    I guess your bikes not got a thermostat so the aim of that system will be to get up to working temp asap so that maybe a reason to pump backwards.

Not saying your ideas not valid and hoses could be shortend But the sveedish designers must of known what they were doing. Otherwise it wouldnt of lasted thus long an been another piece of junk on the scrap heap.
  19. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    The hose is on the highest part of the head, the head will trap bubbles if the hose was at the front in a lower place. The design helps it degas the coolant in the top end.
    2premo likes this.
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I agree. Find something more worthy to fettle with. Sounds like nothing to be gained changing a proven system.