cam timing

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by pimpy, Jun 30, 2016.

1. pimpy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 1999/1998
    Hello

Im replacing my timing chain, but i have questions.

- When my piston is at TDC, i cant get the notch of the sprocket on the right place. Cuz its a half tooth off. Can this give me trouble??

DSC_0647.jpg

- Other question, is it normal that i feel some resistance when i put me piston at TDC. I mean the piston dont want to get in TDC cuz the magnets of the flywheel keep him off.

So when its off, the piston go down for 1mm is this acceptable for the timing as TDC?
  2. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    Normal TDC has the cam sprocket bolts level to the half joint. Your are 90 degrees out as shown in the photo.

How do you know you are TDC? Do you have the spark plug out and are checking piston position it with a depth indicator ( small screwdriver or the like?)

It is normal for the engine to feel a little "jumpy" as you rotate it through TDC when turning by hand on the flywheel. It is just the clearance in the rod journal bearings being felt I always believed. Maybe the piston also rocking slightly as the load angle changes from push to pull as you rotate the crank by hand.
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That could be caused by slack in the cam chain since you do not have the tensioner in. Have you tried moving the chain 1 tooth just to check ?
  4. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On some cam sprocket bolts they are parallel with top and others are perpendicular.
    cam lobes pointing forward and down and rearward and down at TDC.
    Push in on the tensioner with finger should roll back 1/2 tooth.
    Later George
  5. Bigserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1990 Honda CR250
    So just to clarify on this should I have the cam bolts level with the surface of the head?
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Read uptites post above. Some are level with the surface, some are 90 degrees, it will depend on your year. What direction do the lobes point when the bolts are level ? They should both be downward.
  7. Bigserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1990 Honda CR250
    Thanks it's a 1996 TE610, I will check this morning which way the lobes are facing.
  8. Bigserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1990 Honda CR250
    Have checked it out today and it's out by 90 degrees,with the cam lobes facing down the bolts are up and down and not inline with the head as I set it up.