Cam chain tentioner 10 clicks out 2300 miles

Discussion in '610/630' started by twistys4me, Jun 17, 2009.

1. twistys4me Husqvarna
    B Class

Well my husky seemed to have abit more cam chain sounds then normal, pulled the tensioner out and counted 10 clicks out, at 600 miles i was at 5 clicks out, does this seem like the chain wore out faster then normal? At this rate i will be changing cam chains at the same rate as tires.:banghead:
  2. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

With all due respect, you did remember to take the spring out before you took the tensioner off????
  3. twistys4me Husqvarna
    B Class

Yeah i took it off spring first, then the two 8mm bolts. then pushed the tensioner back in to zero clicks before install, that was at 600 miles and now 2300miles. I knew the 610 had some cam chain issues when i was looking to buy one. I just thought i would get more miles in before a cam chain change.
  4. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Say it's not so, that to me sounds "NOT GOOD". I would hope they last longer than that. Anyone else going to chime in?
  5. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Doesn't sound good. Are you still on warranty, I hope?
    Mine has me a little worried. I counted 6 notches and 7 bumps at around 2700 miles. I wonder what they are new.
  6. bbcmat Husqvarna
    A Class

What oil type / weight are you running?

What is your typical riding condition?

MAT
  7. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was seeing about the same rate. When I checked mine at a 600 miles it was 7 clicks out. I went with a MCCT.
    Here are my thoughts from another post.

I think for me the problem was that with hard tight trail riding or town driving with lots of stop and go, on and off. Or full throttle to nothing all the time causes the adjuster to prematurely tighten. Where as the desert folks seem to be able to get much more for miles.

So far I have 3000 miles on the with the MCCT and have not needed to adjust it. I do need to check the vales again and will check it at that time. And that is my future plans to only check it when checking the valves every 3000 or so miles.

Be ready if you do use a MCCT, you will get jumped on by alot of people for being and idiot. I find I post very little on the facts I am getting because of that.
  8. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Let me just ask, (not argue). What does the MCCT have that the ACCT does not?
    1) Is it the tension mechanism wearing out or the chain stretching?
    2) Will you not get the same results, but have to do it by feel?
    3) If it’s the chain that is stretching, It will need to be replaced regardless of what is keeping it tight. Am I wrong?
  9. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

I believe that most of the fault with the ACCT is that at some time in the heat cycle it over tightens the chain. Thus causing excessive wear to the chain.

Most riders that seem to get good life from the chain with the ACCT.
    Ride long times at set throttle positions, the engine goes through very few heat cycles.

The worst seems to be short town trips and on and off the throttle hard all the time. Lots of heat cycles. And lots of chances for the ACCT to get another notch.
    I rode mine a few miles back and forth to work 2 trips a day. So it no more than got to temp and I would shut it off.

I feel if it lasts me 10,000 miles I will have gained on the deal.
    At the rate mine was changing, at 3000 miles it would have needed to be done. So I was willing to try the MCCT. So far it is preforming like I expected.

Hope that gives you some idea of the decision making process I went through.

Lastly always rememer this with the MCCT,
  10. twistys4me Husqvarna
    B Class

I use Golden spectro 4- semi synthetic 20-50 , change out every 600 miles. I ride 20% single track 30% open areas and 50% canyon carving with the street tires on. The chain stretch could be from my aggressive riding, not sure tho. Never had any problems with cam chain ware on any of my other bikes in the last 20 years.
  11. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Man I dunno...... I've checked Flying Trash Can's at 4000mi. and he doesn't baby this bike much, and he was at 4 clicks. I checked another buddy's at 3500mi. and this one has been over heated a few times and he was at 4 clicks. I've done mine at 2500mi., 4000mi., and now at 6000mi. and I've been at 5 clicks all the way through. Some guys (and gals) are getting less than 3000mi out of a chain...... It's a mystery to me......
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I don't even want to inspect mine unless it makes noise or something.:p
  13. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not sure but I think the 610's are the biggest offenders....
  14. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I have a mcct on the DRZ. I want one for the TE. Where can I buy one?
  15. twistys4me Husqvarna
    B Class

For those of you that have changed out the cam chain, did you install new chain guides and replace the driven gears? Just trying to get a parts list going.
  16. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Big bore thumpers also known as APE.
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Did you get that impression from something that happened on Cafe Husky?

What is an APE and what does it stand for?
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    It seems like APE should be a something, doesn't it? Well it is I guess, It stands For American Performance Engineering. They make lot of really neat stuff for brand X and Y, and a few things for Huskies.
    http://www.bigborethumpers.com/tensioners.html
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Nice!

Did a google search and this came up too, maybe it is the street bike division:
    http://www.aperaceparts.com/
  20. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    No mcct for the dohc Husky's? I will send them an email. I put 2 TT mcct's on our DRZ's. I didn't remove the valve covers. Just put them up on a stand in 5th gear, found compression stroke. Removed old, installed new finger tight and locked nut. Fired up and adjusted. The how to they have can scare people. :eek: