Buying AvGas?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Cosmokenney, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I am tired of the crappy California E10 that causes my float to stick in my lectron if it sits fro more than one day.

I have searched high and low on the internet and have asked the LBSs where to get race gas, or even non-ethanol gas. And they all seem to have no idea what I'm talking about. There are no stations that sell non-ethanol gas at a pump here in Nor Cal.

The only thing I can do is go to Riebes Auto Parts and buy their 100 Octane 5 gallon drum for $75.00.

I've realized, however, that I have a municipal airport 2.4 miles from my house.

So, I thought to myself, I'm going to start buying 100LL AvGas.

But at the self serve pump at the airport, it wants a tail number before you can start pumping.

How can I get around that?
  2. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Befriend soneone with a plane ? Have a guess ?
    Surely it's just to stop people people putting it in cars . Or maybe the planes that are part of that club all pay for the pump to be there .
    Really just talking out my ass here because you are in cali and what I hear about cali sounds like the stuff of nightmares .
    In nz there's 4 garages within half hour of me that sell a gas at the pump . Mainly for jet boats and classic race cars .
    It coats more than premium unleaded tho . Which is criminal because there is 50% tax on the road gas . So the avgas should be cheaper
    Sorry for hijack
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Friend uses Av gas and just makes up a tail number. Riding friend who flies, offered for me to use his tail number if I wanted to buy Av gas.
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  5. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Even at the pump, race gas is about $12 - $14 per/gal. And none of the Union 76 stations that say they have race gas on the internet, actually do. And the race tracks are closed on week days and only open when I'm out riding. Trust me, race gas is just not worth it here.
  6. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    ... the nearest place where I can consistently get race gas is probably 30 minutes away. And again at $12 or more a gal, just not worth the drive. AvGas is less than $4 per gal.
  7. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Oh, I see. I'm not in Granite Bay anymore. I just move to North Auburn, CA. Sacramento is pretty much an hours drive nowadays with all the traffic. Too may bay area transplants here ;-) There is a place in Roseville that sells the race gas, but it's about 40 minutes away. Plus the same prices as I listed above.
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    go to Fast Friday's at the fairgrounds in the summer... even though they burn nitro, bet'cha someone knows where race gas can be found.

If you get tired of Mace Mills, head over to Burlington Ridge (Chicago Park)- lotsa pretty good stuff without the traffic.
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I buy AV gas at my local airport. You don't even need a whole tail number. For fun I use the first helo number I ever flew. That was an MD500 turbine ship. The pump isn't hooked up to a database either. For just a few cents more per gallon than our bend over and get taxed to death crappy pump premium, it's totally worth it. I mix it with some race gas too.
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  10. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    So is this what caused your Lecteon issue?
  11. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Hey Trenchcoat85 Burlington/chalk bluff is actually closer to me than Georgetown/mace mill. So that's my go to spot. I like Georgetown, however for the slightly more technical terrain.
  12. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    I didn't believe you and went to pure-gas.org to find a station in your area. I was flabbergasted when I saw only 22 stations listed for the whole state of California. Heck there are 602 stations listed in TN.
  13. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Ha ha ha! Yup. I check that site, and the other one every once in a while and just have to chuckle. I keep saying it, but I need to get out of this god forsaken state! I can't ride my 2017 2 stroke on the street. I can't walk my my high energy bird dogs off leash anywhere unless I want a $150 fine per dog. And just forget about guns. Then there's all the little things like car registration. I pay close to $1,000 per year to keep my Car, Son's pickup, my street bike, and dirt bike (for dirt bikes you pay registration every two years, but still) registered. Then there's car insurance, which is super expensive because we have to pay for all the uninsured motorists. And you can't register a car without proof of insurance. The list of fees and regulation just go on and on. I just can't figure out where I want to go. Maybe Utah. Maybe Hawaii. But I would love to end up in New Zealand when I retire.
  14. PaulD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr250( sold)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint RS. Honda TRX300EX Be
    Sounds a lot like N.J. Cant get any ethanol free gas here except AV gas. My bike runs a little lazy on it and is harder to start hot but it stops the part throttle ping. Been blending Sunoco 93 pump 50/50 with AV gas and a little Torco octane boost.
  15. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

Oh, I grew up in Boonton, NJ. Glad I left for greener pastures. Oh wait! Not so green. Hmm...
  16. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Come to TN. However, there is very little to none public land. There are a bunch of people moving here from California and other places and trying to turn it into the places they left. I moved here in 09 to get away from those things. A little over a year ago, I bought a property with 2 cabins, city water, septic system and power on 23.66 acres for $85k. Cabins do need to be finished, though.
    Creek 2.jpg
  17. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I could have fun in that creek with my TX300.
    Eaglefreek likes this.
  18. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I found a local car racing club that buys bulk racing fuel. They're happy to sell me 5 gl of Sunoco 110 for $8/gl. I mix that 2:3 with 90 octane, non ethanol which I can get at a couple of local stations.
    I thought there was a good reason not to run AV gas in 2t but can't remember what it was. Used to run it in modified XRs and worked great.
    :cheers:
  19. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    With all those Marinas down there they don't have non ethanol.
  20. PaulD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr250( sold)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint RS. Honda TRX300EX Be
    Nope all e10. I work part time at a friends marina and we winterize all outboards with AV gas or the carbs all clog badly by spring. The OMC outboards actually warp the bowls so bad you have to replace them. Only non ethanol available here is race gas or AV gas