1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Buying a 2009, TE 450 or TE 510?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by UncleRed, Mar 8, 2010.

1. UncleRed Husqvarna
    AA Class

I started out looking for a TE 510 because I'm a bigger is better kind a guy, But I found a deal on a 450 that comes in a $ 1000 cheaper! Is it worth a grand for the 510? or is the $$ better spent on upgrades for the 450?? Is the power up the same for the 450 vs. the 510?? I'm new to the modern Husky's, what do ya think??
  2. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

As far as I know the power-up procedure is the same for both bikes, and unlike some previous years everything you need should come with the bike on the '09s. It uses the stock exhaust rather than requiring a different one, but you remove the cat and O2 sensor, replace the restrictive air filter frame with a more open one, etc.

I'm sure you'd be very happy with either bike, but I test rode both before buying and decided that the 450 had enough power for me and was slightly easier to turn. There's not much between them though, and the 510 does have a bit more grunt low down.

Knowing what I know now, if the $1000 you save would get you the Husky special parts titanium exhaust & ECU I'd buy the 450 and fit one of those (see my review here). This makes a huge difference even if the bike was already powered-up, and I'd say the engine performance is then as good as a stock 510 but the bike is lighter than the stock 450.

Just my $0.02 - enjoy whatever you buy! :thumbsup:
  3. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Go 450...no real difference otherwise
  4. Droolsport Husqvarna
    A Class

What kind of terrain do you ride? I decided on the 450 because I figured the 510 would be to much power in tight nasty terrain. The idea is the extra reciprocating mass of the bigger piston etc... makes them harder to turn but when do you turn with the motor at full revs anyways? My bike has plenty of power, mid and upper revs comes on like a turbo and pulls really hard. Bottom power is a little soft and I notice it mostly when I drop into a sand wash I have to downshift quick to get to the power. That said I havent ridden a 510 and I am hoping to tune more bottom into my 450. The 510 would prob pull taller gears for DS riding too. Scott Summers did really well on the 510 with a low compression piston in the GNCC for what thats worth. I think its a coin toss for the most part the $1000 savings on the 450 would make it a no brainer for me. Spend that cash on a suspension revalve if you plan on riding it hard.
    Keep us posted on what you end up with.
    Eric
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Terrain is key kere. The 510 is a power house and a magnificent machine, but best suited to more open country. The 450 is noticably easier to turn in the tight. The shorter conrod throw of the 450 and less reciprocation mass is directly attributable to the handling differences. The 450 will spool up a little quicker too. Power on both machines is strong. I had a 510 for a year and went to the 450 because I love tight single trail work. That said the 510 is not a pig in the tight, in fact it is very good. However the 450 is better.
  6. UncleRed Husqvarna
    AA Class

The bike'l be used mostly for single track in the U.P. roots, ruts, mud, on rocks. It'll see dual sport mode in WI. just to the dirt. I decided to go with the 450 since I've found one for an even bigger savings and then can use that $$ for skidplate, barkbusters, bars, ect. Looking forward to Husky ownership!
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good job UncleRed and welcome into this august body of Husky fanatics. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have or post info and pictures etc. to share. I think the 450 is the right choice give your riding parameters.

Cheers.
    GHTE
  8. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

What prices did you find on the 09 TE450 and TE510 in the upper mid-west?
  9. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have an 09 TE510 and it has no problem in the tight twisty stuff. I do have a G2 throttle and a WER fitted which are a big help.
  10. UncleRed Husqvarna
    AA Class

I checked with some of the bigger places such as Halls in IL. and also Bills in OR. to have one shipped and then on a recommendation tried the WI. dealer keytimemotorsports in Warren WI. and got the best prices! The 2009 TE510-$6800 and 2009 TE450-$5800:thumbsup:
  11. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im of the same opinion as you, I always buy more bike than I need... just in case :))But look at it this way. They raced the 450 in Dakar and it doesnt get much tougher than that. IMO if you learnt to give it enough stick the 450 will be enough for anyone. Sometimes I ask myself why I bought a 510 and it appears to answer my own question is knowing the extra power is there if I need it which I rarely do. Tho you cant beeat the chugging tourqe of a 510 down low in boggy sand hill climbs ;)
  12. chilehusky Husqvarna
    A Class

I ride my 510 a lot on nasty hill trails. I geared it down and really like how it rides. If it gets too nasty, i shift to first and it is like a unstoppable tractor (i dont like to use too much clutch). But if you want power,you are only a twist of the throttle away. I have ridden a tc 450 and in my opinion both engines are really nice too ride. Their caracter is sligthly different, the 510 has has more low end torque and the 450 likes to be ridden higher in the revs. I prefer the 510 engine because of the torque it can be ridden on lower revs. Both have more than enough power and are good handling.
  13. UncleRed Husqvarna
    AA Class

My current off road bike is a Gas-Gas EC 300 so I'm used to something that tractors and also screams if you want it to. In my area of Wisconsin I can't ride it any where but on my own track on 40 acres or I have to haul it to the U.P. witch is only a 15 minute ride but a pain to load and unload ect. That's why I'm looking at the Husky's....I need a street legal racer! I'm going to the dealer on Tue. or Thur. to make the deal, can't wait till it get's in. So far I'm thinking Cycra hand guards, Hyde skid plate, not sure about radiator guards yet(still looking) and the list of the usual stuff, radiator hose "Y", battery strapping down, cross over hose, ect.... I want to have everything ready and waiting for when the bike arrives!
  14. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    No has said the 510 is not good in the tight, it is good. However the 450 is better. The 510 is harder to turn and change direction on. Its pure physics. The 510 comes in to its own in the desert and more open country. I have had both and loved them both for their very different chatacteristics. That said, most of my riding is in ST stuff where directional change and energy efficiency (on the rider) is paramount. This is the riding conditions mooted by UncleRed as the predominate terrain he will ride.
  15. UncleRed Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 09 TE450 has been ordered!!! So far I'm going with the OFG radiator braces and either the Hyde or Uptite skid plate. How are the stock bars for standing up riding?? I'm 6' with a long reach and weigh 200 lbs. Any experience with the Easton EXP woods bars?? I'm getting the coolant Y pipe and the cross over hose upgrade. The shop Keytimemotorsports is doing the power up. I can't wait!! But unfortunately I won't be able to pick it up till the 16th of April...between work and a Mex. vacation. At least I'll have time to get parts ordered. This site rocks!! Butch.
  16. I just picked up my new leftover '09 TE-450 yesterday. Only one quick ride so far and changed the oil and added way too much parts that cost way too much money to it last night, stay away form the internet or your wallet will shrink fast!:eek: I really like Georges(Up-tite) stuff, I put his skid plate on and ordered his mid pipe guard (seems to be missing somewhere), the stock mid pipe guard seems a little short. Now I just need to break this thing in and get some real rides on it. Good luck with yours.
  17. Oh BTW, they're friggin' loud with the PU done, I might just be getting the FMF Q also.
  18. UncleRed Husqvarna
    AA Class

While I still don't have it home I stopped by the shop " Keytimemotorsports.com " and got to see it on the work stand and meet the shop owners too, there nice guys and the bike looks great! I can't wait ! [IMG]
  19. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    Thats cool they let you in to check it out has it was assembled. You will really enjoy the 450. BTW, cool Bultaco in the background.
  20. UncleRed Husqvarna
    AA Class

The place is full of the whole catalog of vintage moto bikes! Cz, DKW, Jawa Greeves, Penton , KTM, Husky's of course! I plan to look around some more when I get the bike.:thumbsup: